Sign in to follow this  
Paystar5000

Cool 2+2 sighting

This is my first time starting a topic so here goes.  I saw this tractor on the way to my mother in laws funeral this morning.  She lost her life to cancer on Monday. I stopped and took this picture on the way home.   There are several 2 +2 tractors around this area but I have never seen a 6588.  The decals look aftermarket but the tractor looked to be very well kept.  Enjoy the picture.

EFCD579C-FEAE-4926-AD7F-B12BD61F9833.jpeg

• Like 11

Nice have heard a lot about them but never have had the chance to be around one.

a beast for sure.

Looks like it has some trouble with the hood latch mechanism. Could it possibly be a 3x88 painted to look like a 6x88. I thought the 6x88s had the rubber latches on the side of the hood. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. My mistake, after looking closer it is a 6x88.

It’s a 6588, you can see the hydraulic levers high on the right side. Nice picture! Love 2+2’s

From what I can see on them, the hood latch mechanism gets bent and doesn't work right............The one on my 6588 was all jacked up when I got it.  I got everything working except the pull cable which I have to modify the end as it was broken.  Having never got to drive a 2+2, and neither have most of the locals, it was quite popular for people to stop and drive it, and the hood rolled open on acouple of them.  I contemplating selling mine, but we put it on my big boom mower for giggles and it actually works super sweet on it so it will stay, will put the snow blower on it in the winter.  

Tyler you will hate that on the snow blower. It will get great traction, steer pretty sharp and have good power. I could haul it away if need be and keep her busy around here ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bitty said:

Tyler you will hate that on the snow blower. It will get great traction, steer pretty sharp and have good power. I could haul it away if need be and keep her busy around here ;)

Well, I figure its easier than throwing chains on the other one................I have to get gauges on it and see what is going on with the TA, but I would wager it will get split next spring for one, and get the AC working.  

The 6x88 did NOT have rubber latches from the factory, we finally did put them on the 6788 we had though.  The original hood latch mechanism was just another one of those janky poorly thought out things that kept the 2+2 from being as good of a tractor as they should have been....

Somehow I ended up ordering the four parts of the hood on the 2+2's when I started back at Farmall January '79. All 4 parts came from IH Shadyside stamping plant.  We went from about 12 a day to 42 2+2's per day as the year went on.  But the highest volume service part was replacement front hood sliding section to replace the hood that came unlatched and slid forward in transit. Rail shipment was the worst, but truck shipment also smashed a few.

Hood latch was junk. So we got  two truck hood latches. Just pull the rubber straps to latch or unlatch easy peasy

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hanniedog said:

Hood latch was junk. So we got  two truck hood latches. Just pull the rubber straps to latch or unlatch easy peasy

X2 on our 3588

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Nice have heard a lot about them but never have had the chance to be around one.

They are fun to drive and operate 

• Like 1

Why dont i see the picture?? Bj??? Theres not one there on my phone to see. 

9 hours ago, hanniedog said:

I did that to a couple 2+2s over the years. I hated those hoods, I always wanted to modify one so it would tip up like a truck hood.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:23 PM, Paystar5000 said:

This is my first time starting a topic so here goes.  I saw this tractor on the way to my mother in laws funeral this morning.  She lost her life to cancer on Monday. I stopped and took this picture on the way home.   There are several 2 +2 tractors around this area but I have never seen a 6588.  The decals look aftermarket but the tractor looked to be very well kept.  Enjoy the picture.

EFCD579C-FEAE-4926-AD7F-B12BD61F9833.jpeg

Slaterville Springs, right? We went past it today on the way to Empire Farm Days. nice rig.

11 hours ago, ny bill o said:

Slaterville Springs, right? We went past it today on the way to Empire Farm Days. nice rig.

Yes it is.  There is a farm just south of town with some internationals but never seen that one around before.