IH766

Favourite Job

I like running a combine, corn, beans it doesn’t matter. But what’s real fun is running a big chopper in big corn. There’s just something about it that makes me like little kid with a big smile. 

Hauling out of the field in the fall without question for me. When I was a kid my dad and uncle hauled Dekalb seed beans for two local farmers into the plant in Beaman, Iowa. I loved riding with either of them. My favorite truck at that time was my dad's blue 1971 C50. He ended up selling it to that farmer before I was of driving age 😭😭😭😭😭😭. However they made a agreement we could use it in the fall just for seed. So my opportunity to sit in the pilots seat finally arrived one day. It was only 20 miles to the plant but I wished it was 200. Last I knew my dad must've ended up buying it back cause it was in his shed last time I saw it. No pictures of it. 

Fast forward to 1995. That's when we bought the 72 C60. I also hauled seed beans with it. Bulk in and bags out. 

And the last time I hauled out of the field was 2013. My Heiders had been reunited after nearly 40 years of separation, no way I wasn't gonna not use them together for a few trips. A few trips turned into 13 but I wasn't complaining. 

Trucks or tractors, hauling out of the field is what I enjoyed the most.

72 c60.jpg

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

• Like 3

WE SMALL BALED EVRYTHING WHEN I WAS YOUNG. PILING SMALL SQUARRES WASNT TO BAD IF YOU WORKED WITH SOME GOOD COUSINS/FRIENDS/NEIGHBORS..DRANK A BEER BETWEEN LOADS... LIKED DISKING AND CHOPPING CORN..CUTTING FIREWOOD...

• Like 2

Harvesting would be top of the list, corn chopping season was always fun. I spent most of my time in the merger during hay season. I was never much of a tillage guy but I did like Moldboard plowing the little bit that they still did. I usually did more planting in the spring

I've always loved feeding cattle in the winter. That's what you bust your a$$ for all year. So they can eat. They're always glad to see you and the simplest thing brings them joy(how many women can you say that about?). Even now if the sun's out I'll just climb in the roundbale feeder, kick back and listen to them eat.

• Like 1

Raking hay with the “C” and IH hay rake. Sunshine, fresh air and the smell of the alfalfa hay. 

• Like 1

exSW, I'm there with you. God never made a prettier sight than red cows eating green hay on white snow on a bright sunny day.

• Like 2

driving our 1466 open station during the warmer months just love the sound the engine makes. not so much fun when its cold out though,

Chopping corn silage/packing trench silo.  Combining beans with a good ac cab is a close second.

5 hours ago, dads706 said:

I should add cultivating corn in there somewhere. A 14 year old kid can do a whole lot of dreaming sitting on a 560 just watching the corn roll past.

Hey... corn goes with cattle.    Maybe I've discovered something....everything revolves around the cow.  That's the answer to everything... cows!!

Cows...methane...global warming...AOC...       Oh Gawd....Just forget everything I ever said about cows.

Agree. I spent many hours dreaming on Dad's 560 and 463 fast hitch cultivator.

10 hours ago, MTO said:

Pulling a 3 bottom at night with Dad`s WD 45 and watching the candle burn on the hills.

Hands down.

When I was about 13, pulling three sixteens at night (or daytime for that matter) with Dad's Ford 5000 row crop.  No fire, but a cherry red manifold.

8 hours ago, ohio farmer said:

Plowing after school with Dads new 856

And when I was about 17, doing the same with four sixteens with Dad's brand new 766.

Plowing and hauling wagons

6 hours ago, mikem said:

Well, it sure WASN'T riding the twine box on the 55 baler, and tying the bales--------------------------

But you all knew that............:lol:

Mike

father was in charge of knots ,long chamber so plenty of time to tie them

we went ahead,and hand feed any tough spots and clean up rake behind  with 6 hp it was a long day

has been 40  years since trading up to "new" 300K bales thru it unit,and 70 hp tractor.

neighbor was hard on equipment and tore it up on an 8n

Smelling the freshly shelled cornfield of fall and the smell of freshly plowed ground. So I have to say shelling corn and plowing.

Getting out of school for half days back in '52  to haul and unload ear corn behind that "great" number 24 two row corn picker mounted on the H Farmall.  I have that H but the picker went to scrap years ago. 

Also watching the sun go down and jumping in the lake to get all the dirt off.

• Like 1

....always liked irrigation.....when growing tobacco...Dad had about 80 acres of flue cured tobacco  back in those halcyon   years.......Irrigation was a big part of the battle...hard work with yesterdays  "technology ".......which is another word for carrying   pipes ...including the "killers" 5 inch dia. Perrot    steel pipes.   Once set up one could listen to the old 6 cylinder Perkins..then later, the inline  8 cylinder Gardner   diesel......Good stuff !!!

Photo   taken as the day was nearing an end......no wind either !

Mike

post-157-1165085644   irrigation bb.jpg

• Like 2

Watching a storm moving in after dark when you have been in the field all day or a beautiful sunset in the fall during harvest from a tractor seat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mmi said:

neighbor was hard on equipment and tore it up on an 8n

One of them guys that could bust an anvil---with a rubber hammer?  :ph34r:

Mike

• Haha 2

I'm totally surprised that none of you has said that checking the animals for pregnancy was on the list. But I guess no one has thought of it yet?  🐂 🐄  

My most favorite job was doing the afternoon servicing of the irrigation wells. My Dad did it in the mornings just so he could make sure things were running right. My older brother had given me a '49 Ford F-1 pickup to carry a couple of cases of quart oil cans and a 5 gallon can of drip oil for the gear heads on the pumps. This is one of the wells about 50 years later. l'm sure the engine has been changed numerous times and the gear head probably been changed several times too.

IMG_20120615_125405.jpg

• Like 1

I cant say that i loved putting up hay bales in 95 degrees ( 115 in direct sun ) with horrible humidity but i have wonderful memories because of it

I cant say i loved driving a tractor disking dry ground and being burnt to a crisp with enough dirt all over me to make mud from but i have wonderful memories because of it

I love working hard, I love driving/running equipment, fixing things,  doing about anything related to a farm be it livestock/grain/hay - i dont get to do it like i did hired as a kid and miss it even tho i get to do some things still. 

I still cut firewood and have a big wood cookstove and burn wood from oct to april - i split 90% by hand and keep wondering when will be my last year i will be able to do it and swing the maul. I refuse to quit i dont care how it feels the next morning. 

I have taken cat naps when the discing was getting crooked because i have been up all night, nothing like a nap in the seat of a tractor in the dark with the song of the diesel engine. 

Sleeping in the grain line in the truck at the elevator waiting to unload. Going in circles with the field conditioner/disc waiting for the sun to come up so we can plant before it rains - so many good wonderful memories and I hope to add more as i retire and spend more time doing it. 

I saw one of the old farmers i worked for a while back at the funeral of his wife. I miss those days of eating on the tailgate and taking a 10 minute break to chug from a water jug and eat a sandwich she brought us at noon or midnight. We used CB radios and a base station to communicate back then. Nothing like eating in the field, swatting at bugs and feeling the coolness of the night.  

Lewis is up there in years now and I asked him how he was doing, he said well ok just lonely,  - but the most frustrating thing is, i work twice as hard as i ever have and get half as much done - im starting to experience that in some cases its honestly **** to get older and realize you are losing your abilities to some degree. I watch my dad fading and know i will be there some day. I give dad jobs i know he can do so he can feel like he is contributing and be successful at them. 

Its all FAVORITE to me...........I have been so blessed to experience it all

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

I cant say that i loved putting up hay bales in 95 degrees ( 115 in direct sun ) with horrible humidity but i have wonderful memories because of it

I cant say i loved driving a tractor disking dry ground and being burnt to a crisp with enough dirt all over me to make mud from but i have wonderful memories because of it

I love working hard, I love driving/running equipment, fixing things,  doing about anything related to a farm be it livestock/grain/hay - i dont get to do it like i did hired as a kid and miss it even tho i get to do some things still. 

I still cut firewood and have a big wood cookstove and burn wood from oct to april - i split 90% by hand and keep wondering when will be my last year i will be able to do it and swing the maul. I refuse to quit i dont care how it feels the next morning. 

I have taken cat naps when the discing was getting crooked because i have been up all night, nothing like a nap in the seat of a tractor in the dark with the song of the diesel engine. 

Sleeping in the grain line in the truck at the elevator waiting to unload. Going in circles with the field conditioner/disc waiting for the sun to come up so we can plant before it rains - so many good wonderful memories and I hope to add more as i retire and spend more time doing it. 

I saw one of the old farmers i worked for a while back at the funeral of his wife. I miss those days of eating on the tailgate and taking a 10 minute break to chug from a water jug and eat a sandwich she brought us at noon or midnight. We used CB radios and a base station to communicate back then. Nothing like eating in the field, swatting at bugs and feeling the coolness of the night.  

Lewis is up there in years now and I asked him how he was doing, he said well ok just lonely,  - but the most frustrating thing is, i work twice as hard as i ever have and get half as much done - im starting to experience that in some cases its honestly **** to get older and realize you are losing your abilities to some degree. I watch my dad fading and know i will be there some day. I give dad jobs i know he can do so he can feel like he is contributing and be successful at them. 

Its all FAVORITE to me...........I have been so blessed to experience it all

well said! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1