IH766

Favourite Job

Given some of the serious topics on here lately, figured I'd try and lighten things up a bit. 

What was your favorite job on the farm as a kid? Still the same to this day or has it changed?

As always upload pics if you got em

• Thanks 1

Pulling a 3 bottom at night with Dad`s WD 45 and watching the candle burn on the hills.

Hands down.

Chopping corn is up there , fabrication work

• Like 1

Playing in the Hay and making bacon. Sometimes dropping the bucket down the well shaft and bringing up that cool, fresh, exhilarating, completely satisfied taste of water. Being called to a feast of food after coming in from the field. Getting a GREAT nights sleep. 

• Like 1

I loved stacking square bails with my two brothers. It was hot but good work. That was until Dad let me do the raking with the 806 😉

Disking bean ground with Dad's 856 Custom was my favorite childhood job.  Disking with my 1486 is my favorite job now!  😏

• Like 1

That moment when you stack the last small square bale of the crop/season in the hay mow.

Boy did I hate stacking hay bales only to have my Dad sell 1000 of them a month later and have to undo the whole process and stack them back on the wagon.

Jesse

• Haha 1

Plowing after school with Dads new 856

Harvest.

You have been running since day break, 

you ate breakfast at 5AM , 

someone brought you lunch , they passed it to the grain cart operator who passed it on to you 

you ate in the cab taking large bites here and there when you had a free hand, 

then long after dark you see the parking lights of a pickup, a semi, and the grain cart at the end of the field, the tail gate is down and a home cooked feast is spread out ready for you to eat. You shut down the machine and eat under the stars  . 

It always seams to taste like the best meal you ever had. 

Then you rub your belly and start all over again.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IH766 said:

What was your favorite job on the farm as a kid? Still the same to this day or has it changed?

As always upload pics if you got em

I think my most excitement was when my new piglets were born.  I started with two female piglets from an FFA project, and eventually had 6 sows and my own boar.   It was enough of a small enterprise for a young high school kid.  But I always looked forward to when they were born.  I think it proved all your hard work had come to fruition.  When I went off to college I sold off all my pigs, and gave the few cows I had that were mine to my father.   I miss having a pig or two! :)

Now?  I don't know.  I enjoy lots of things but especially running equipment.  

Harvest in general when things are going well. 

Someone asked me recently what the funest time ive ever had farming. Without blinking i said fall of 2010. That was as fun as you can get. Great yields, good prices, good weather, heck we were pulling corn right out of the field at 14% moisture. Great test weight. I didn't even mind waiting in the 4 hour long lines at the elevator because you felt you were making something doing it. 

I haven't had that much fun since. Seems like since then something is missing. Either corn or bean yields are off, prices stink or the fall weather stinks. We haven't pulled anything out of a field that dry since. I guess its like your first love. Once she breaks your heart, you never love the same again 

• Thanks 1

Probably raking hay. I like running /watching any machinery when its working right and conditions are good but raking hay is probably my favorite.

If it has anything to do with cattle. #1

Making hay #2

I guess #2 and #1 go together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dads706 said:

If it has anything to do with cattle. #1

Making hay #2

I guess #2 and #1 go together.

I've always loved working cattle, just something about it I suppose

Cows, grinding feed, and moldboard plowing........................Could do without the rest, although its a necessary evil. 

Plowing, 3 bottom trailer plow with the M or SM, 1956, I was 'big time'😄 

• Like 1

Well, it sure WASN'T riding the twine box on the 55 baler, and tying the bales--------------------------

But you all knew that............:lol:

Mike

• Haha 2

Mike, I enjoyed making hay as long as that &&%^&*(*(*) 55T would tie. I wonder why I got stuck riding the twine box.... not sure if it was an honor or a punishment. Probably both.

I should add cultivating corn in there somewhere. A 14 year old kid can do a whole lot of dreaming sitting on a 560 just watching the corn roll past.

Hey... corn goes with cattle.    Maybe I've discovered something....everything revolves around the cow.  That's the answer to everything... cows!!

Cows...methane...global warming...AOC...       Oh Gawd....Just forget everything I ever said about cows.

25 minutes ago, dads706 said:

I should add cultivating corn in there somewhere. A 14 year old kid can do a whole lot of dreaming sitting on a 560 just watching the corn roll past.

Hey... corn goes with cattle.    Maybe I've discovered something....everything revolves around the cow.  That's the answer to everything... cows!!

Cows...methane...global warming...AOC...       Oh Gawd....Just forget everything I ever said about cows.

Your certainly right about methane from a cows a$$ And AOC going hand and hand .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Plowing and disking with 806 in the evening hours.

Plowing and chopping corn with the M. 

Always liked hearing the chopper moan and anything to do with rolling over dirt don’t do either anymore.

I didn’t care what color the tractor was I liked to plow and still do. Even today when I drop a plow in the ground and get that first whif of fresh dirt an exciting chill comes over me. 

Jerry

• Like 1