Union Pacific # 4014 Big Boy

Thanks for the video.

I have not yet seen it yet but plan on doing so in September. Only problems is it will be home in Cheyenne and not under pressure.

Coal would have been neat but I am just very happy it is out for display, coal or not.

A tremendous piece of machinery that proves the American people can build anything when they put their mind to it.

Thanks Union Pacific for bringing her back to life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1967806 said:

Thats a good picture.

UP puts out a calendar each year with publicly submitted pics on it---send them a copy, you might get there.

Details at www.up.com

Mike

2 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Thanks for the video.

I have not yet seen it yet but plan on doing so in September. Only problems is it will be home in Cheyenne and not under pressure.

Coal would have been neat but I am just very happy it is out for display, coal or not.

A tremendous piece of machinery that proves the American people can build anything when they put their mind to it.

Thanks Union Pacific for bringing her back to life.

And to think something of this magnitude could actually be built without any emails or computers and leave the factory without the check engine light being on.

• Like 1

the diesel is being used for different things, just in case the 4014 breaks down,dynamic braking, and supply power for the passenger cars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAGNUM said:

the diesel is being used for different things, just in case the 4014 breaks down,dynamic braking, and supply power for the passenger cars.

Do they not have an HEP car?  I thought they had one, but maybe they don't and need the Diesel?

Looks like it`s only coming as far east as Chicago. 

Would like to see/hear her but maybe I`ll just go visit exSW at work and he can make me some noise.

We left work early and saw 4014 at the Wheatland Ia stop. About half hr east of home. Saw it pull in then looked at it for a while. Then we left early and got out ahead of it before it left. We then saw it fly by us about 40mph at Mechanicsville. (Home) 

I followed along the restoration via the facebook page. Im also a steam enthusiast so seeing something that large is possibly a once in a lifetime. 

Its only finacially correct to convert it to oil. Ya nay sayers think it should be coal yet. But where along the route will you get coal every 300 miles or abouts? At least the didnt have to shovel the whole time, as it was fed with a mechaincal auger. Oil can be trucked in pretty easy yet. 

Also, say something castastrophic happens with the boiler when the need to remove the fire, you cant just shut the fire off with coal. With oil, you just turn the valve off. Coal fired excursion/ small track engines are getting fewer and farther between. For inaurance and availability reasons. 

The diesel behind, is it really needed? Ya probably not. But if something happens, the 4014 is gonna be stranded on the mainline tieing up valuable trackage time. Also with using the diesel, the original style brake shoes of the 4014 wont wear nearly as fast as by itself. Keeps them from changing costly shoes along the trip. 

Its quite the restoration feat to overhaul a steam locomotive, make it move under its own power for the first time and 4 days later leave on an excursion from Cheyenne Wy to Ogden Utah. Thats saying something. 

20190730_151211.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTO said:

Would like to see/hear her but maybe I`ll just go visit exSW at work and he can make me some noise.

UP tracks only go as far East as Chicago. Any farther you have to get permission to run on competing Railroads. You the have to pay the pieper. 

10 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Do they not have an HEP car?  I thought they had one, but maybe they don't and need the Diesel?

Dont know what HEP means but there was another car behind the diesel that had a fairly good size sounding engine running it the top of it behind a bunch of ventilated shields. I just figured that was to generate power for the passenger cars?

10 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

It crosses the screen at 4:33

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, MTO said:

You won't see steam on our rail. Ever.

What a majestic beast !!! Steam power facinates me .

36 minutes ago, exSW said:

You won't see steam on our rail. Ever.

Thought you worked for NS?  

48 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Thought you worked for NS?  

Nope. Chicken Sh!T Express. Work on NS property quite a bit. Trackage rights.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:48 AM, 1967806 said:

And to think something of this magnitude could actually be built without any emails or computers and leave the factory without the check engine light being on.

Slide rules really do rule

48 minutes ago, exSW said:

Nope. Chicken Sh!T Express. Work on NS property quite a bit. Trackage rights.

Thought it was Charlie's Sugar Extra?

You are right though, won't ever be steam there.......atleast as long as Hunter's Cronies are in the house.  The local short line guys sure were holding their breath when he tried the hostile take over of NS and the shareholders told him to pound sand, they could breathe again.  

Saw that this topic came back up to the top, so I figured I'd share a picture I took when I saw Big Boy at Rochelle, IL on 7/30. Crowd was huge, so I never got right up next to it, but it was very impressive nonetheless. Funny part is, the day before this, I flew home from a week long vacation in San Diego... the highlight of that trip to me was seeing the USS Midway, which is now a floating museum there. Completed in 1944, the Midway is a contemporary of Big Boy, both are a testament to a great time in American history.

20190730_110646.jpg