Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Dairy question.....

Has there been any studies to determine if the type of feed (diet) affects the flavor of the milk? I know the diet affects the taste of the meat, so I assume that the milk would be similar.       Grass fed beef has a much different flavor than corn fed.

My college roommate (out in Hillers country..O'Neil) shot a deer one season that had been living in an orchard on an abandoned farmstead. It ate apples and corn. He said it was as fat as a steer, and the meat had a sweet flavor.

Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 1

Good question ,?🤷‍♂️👀

when grandpa bought this place in '47 he turned the cows out in the woods pasture that had some garlic growing by the creek. The milk was rejected because of the onion taste.

YES!

Milk flavor is a very thing. You may not notice it so much on these larger dairies where cows are fed the same diet 365 days a year. But take a smaller farm that still utilizes pastures/ grazing in the summer months and you can notice it. 

We had a small bulk tank where the cover lifts off, and you could smell the grass when they were first placed into a pasture at the beginning of the season. Consequently, if cows found themselves a patch of burdocks, you could smell that. Same with wild onions.

FFA use to have dairy quality judging where the students would taste samples of milk. One of the tricks was to place a penny in the sample and try and taste the metallic taste. Another was salt. Rancid milk, ( smell), so on and so forth. I don’t remember how many different flavors there was. 

Just loved the milk when they’d put the cows out on the fresh cut sugar beet tops. Not not not. It even had a green hue to it. Yuck. 

John

• Haha 1

My parent talked of dumping milk from cows that ate a lot of mustard. I only remember 2 or 3 years when dad milked a cow for the house. And that was only 1/2 the year at most.

We have 2 farmers in our family who make milk products on the farm.

From my cousin we buy yoghurt. He feeds his cows mais and silage in winter and in the summer the cows are outside. I can taste the difference in the yoghurt.

My 2nd cousin has a much larger store. They never feed their cows mais or silage. They feed hay and fodder beet.

Yep...FFA still does dairy products judging.  Top 5 things in ffa iirc.  You legally cannot feed onion to milk cows since it ruins smell and taste.  But heifers love them.   my younger brother was on the State team that went to Nationals 20 years ago for such a thing I don't remember all the things but there's a whole list of if they eat X the milk taste like that or the milk does this if they eat why the milk does that it's actually pretty fascinating

I always heard the milk had a bad taste if the cows got out on winter wheat. 

i thought you feed them hershey bars for chocolate milk and let them eat in the strawberry patch for strawberry milk, that's what my gma told me they did 😉 

• Haha 1