looking for information about stationary engines

I have recently acquired a McCormack Deering   IH  stationary engine.    I have not been able to get a good read on the tag yet, & cannot read the first bit on the bottom left corner of the tag.  I can read what looks like 550 rpms  & the serial #  is    W 14790                 This engine is fairly large, probably 1200# s    I am guessing it would be  5 or 6 HP, ( with absolutely NO prior experience with them)   The fly wheels are about 30" in diameter.   It rolls over very nicely, although, it does look like it is missing some parts.  I dont believe it has run since it was most likely taken from its original application 50 or 60 years ago.                       I would love to find a place to learn more about it, find some sort of manual or blue prints, as well as a source for parts.   I have tried goggling a number of terms & only come up with amazon & ebay type of results & a few you tube videos.     I have found a great deal of help, expertise, & knowledge from previous experience with the people who comment on Red Power forums, & look forward to learning more about this old piece of American Iron.  This is my second IH machine, I have a sweet 1961 cub low boy that runs like a champ!

Thank You

Peter

• 3 months later...

search Harry's old engine

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 7:44 AM, ollyvah said:

I would love to find a place to learn more about it

www.smokstak.com      sign up or just search around many many old McCormick Deering ///// Ih engines there

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2019 at 9:44 PM, ollyvah said:

I have recently acquired a McCormack Deering   IH  stationary engine.    I have not been able to get a good read on the tag yet, & cannot read the first bit on the bottom left corner of the tag.  I can read what looks like 550 rpms  & the serial #  is    W 14790                 This engine is fairly large, probably 1200# s    I am guessing it would be  5 or 6 HP, ( with absolutely NO prior experience with them)   The fly wheels are about 30" in diameter.   It rolls over very nicely, although, it does look like it is missing some parts.  I dont believe it has run since it was most likely taken from its original application 50 or 60 years ago.                       I would love to find a place to learn more about it, find some sort of manual or blue prints, as well as a source for parts.   I have tried goggling a number of terms & only come up with amazon & ebay type of results & a few you tube videos.     I have found a great deal of help, expertise, & knowledge from previous experience with the people who comment on Red Power forums, & look forward to learning more about this old piece of American Iron.  This is my second IH machine, I have a sweet 1961 cub low boy that runs like a champ!

Thank You

Peter

Single horizontal cylinder and hopper cooled I assume. Sounds like a "Type M"  Rated at 550 RPM suggests it is 6 H.P.                                                                                                                                    Serial number prefixes are "A" = 1& 1-2 H.P. ,  "B" = 3 H.P. , "C" = 6 H.P. & "D" = 10 H.P.   "W" = Wico magneto option

A 6 H.P. with serial number CW14790 would a 1929 built unit according to my reference book.

Thank you for the information.  1929 is a nice bit of information to have.  I had  learned that it ran a saw mill in its day.  It appears the cam follower has a chunk taken out of it & its shaft has .030" or so of bend in it, one valve  has  some missing linkage & hardware parts.