Murr

Best IH for small cattle farm

Hi all, I have a 43 acre cattle farm with plans to add another 50 acre parcel about 10 min down the road.  Both places have a few inclines that make me slightly worried about higher profile tractors.  Right now I have a Powerstar 75 cabbed tractor and I have no problems on the hills.  I don't do hay, the only uses for my tractor are clearing downed trees, occasional bush hogging with my 10' bush hog and feed/unrolling bales of hay in the winter.  I figure I need at least a 50hp pto tractor (very little of my bush hogging is more than clipping).  Which IH would be best?

I need a historically reliable setup (I understand how it was taken care of is most important, but want to know what to stay away from)

Something to lift 4x5 round bales three high

pull my 10' bush hog

be heavy enough and wide enough to handle the hills that my powerstar 75 does.

Well not sure what your wanting.    If you have a cab Tractor doing the job. What ru looking for. probably 95% of the Ih Tractors built can handle a 10' Bush hog

684 ,685 hard to beat  

^^^  or a 686 if you want a row crop but you mentioned lower. 

Just so you know your going to get a bunch of different answers here. Take what you learn and go find one to sit on. Then decide 

Now powerstar, are you meaning a New Holland Powerstar? (Is it sad i had to look this up to see what a powerstar tractor even was?)

Umm-- you talk about wanting a low small tractor, and then want to stack round bales 3 high????  These seem contradictory to me.   I would never raise a round bale that high with anything less than a 90+ Hp tractor, with full rollover frame/cab.  But maybe I'm old and overly cautious.

So much depends on your budget.  I'd suggest you look at the 806-856-966 or 5100/5200 series for a good "tall" loader tractor.    Utility....I have no experience.   

I'd consider a larger frame tractor and simply set the wheels out to 36 or 40" row spacing.  You might need a wider mower, but it would be more stable.

• Like 1

An 856 is always a good all round choice for a mid-size tractor.

It is very nimble and well built for the size, find the right loader and you will have a great setup.

1086 Best tractor IH ever made! :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ky966boy said:

684 ,685 hard to beat  

I didn’t see the three high part , I think my 684 would stack 3 high with some skill but i wouldn’t recommend it , guy I worked with daddy got killed like that , roll slipped off fork and rolled back on him.

Don't forget the 695's that were made into the CaseIH era. Up to 92 I think. And 2355 factory loader.

Wouldnt the 695 take a 2255 loader?

1 hour ago, Mr. Plow said:

Wouldnt the 695 take a 2255 loader?

Pretty sure the last 695 I looked was 2355. Been wrong before though. Most likely will be again.

966 OR766 OR 986 OR 786

• Like 1

23 hours ago, B.B. said:

1086 Best tractor IH ever made! :)

I won’t go that far and make that claim, but a 1086 in my mind is a good  loader tractor with a 2350 loader ... have to keep your gear shifter in good condition and make slower & deliberate shifts... 

loader work, moving bales, mowing, hay,   anything not tillage  I want a hydro.

Cant tell you how much our 766 stinks with a loader on it compared to when the hydro 100 had it on their.

I always wanted a 1026, but now would prefer a 186 or 3488 for chopping and hay work more for the nicer cab.

Of all the tractors around here to choose from for a task your speaking of,  the 966 hydro is the first one I jump on.  I love that tractor .

Also Very easy for an inexperienced operator to use .

22 minutes ago, north of 60 said:

I won’t go that far and make that claim, but a 1086 in my mind is a good  loader tractor with a 2350 loader ... have to keep your gear shifter in good condition and make slower & deliberate shifts... 

Hydro makes the best loader tractor transmission as far as I'm concerned, but running a loader wasn't first on his list.  :)

1086 may or may not be the best tractor IH ever made, but it's certainly one of my favorites! :)

• Like 1

We had a Westendorf loader on both a 1066 and 1486.  We found it much more awkward on the 1486.  It was harder to shift, harder to operate the hydraulic levers, and harder to see what the loader was doing.    This didn't make sense, since you sit farther forward, but everybody that used the 86 hated it, and complained about visibilty.  The loader went back on the 1066 real fast.    Others may have a completely different experience. 

Hydros are nice but you need three hands to run a loader 

I made foot controls for my 1066 hydro 

9E3578F2-2208-4D08-82D4-21D78EF31A00.jpeg

D783A0A2-23A7-486A-8E92-0F2B77A2D417.jpeg

17A11C5C-5661-40FF-A810-2FD1D79C981F.jpeg

8DC5963F-5642-4BA6-BB3D-6ECC86721044.jpeg

• Like 3

656 utility perhaps?  Relatively cheap, stable, compact, might even find a hydro.

Those foot pedals are the nuts! Slick!

13 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

Hydros are nice but you need three hands to run a loader 

I made foot controls for my 1066 hydro 

9E3578F2-2208-4D08-82D4-21D78EF31A00.jpeg

D783A0A2-23A7-486A-8E92-0F2B77A2D417.jpeg

17A11C5C-5661-40FF-A810-2FD1D79C981F.jpeg

8DC5963F-5642-4BA6-BB3D-6ECC86721044.jpeg

Foot control for the loader?  Has anyone ever made foot controls for the hydro like the newer compact tractors? 

That would be even better but I couldn’t figure out how to do it 

I've converted a cub cadet, but nothing bigger.....