pt756

666 686 engine?

hello. have been watching a 686 on a online auction, did they all have german diesels? this one does, and would it be the same injector pump as the 756? and one more question, which models had the American  motor in and whay was the cubic inch?  I am thinking only 666, thanks

The 686 also had the 312 cubic inch. 

• Like 1

666's and I believe the early 686's had 312's in them.

Just now, MNredfarmer said:

666's and I believe the early 686's had 312's in them.

^^^what he said^^^

the one on the sale does state german diesel, why did they quit putting the 312 American engine in? that engine would be like the 400 series?

2 minutes ago, pt756 said:

the one on the sale does state german diesel, why did they quit putting the 312 American engine in? that engine would be like the 400 series?

Not sure why the change during production. The 312 is a member of the 300/400 series engines. Both diesel options are well thought of. The German engines have a little less part availability  but that is the only negative I can say about them. I have a buddy with one and the German engine with over 10k on the clock. Mine has the IH 312.  

as I have mentioned before we do have a 756, really like it a lot , and on our size dairy farm it gets a lot of use with hay crop, the only thing that I wonder about is the injector pump parts and availability, not to worried about engine parts yet, we kinf of could use another one for a lot of the haymaking jobs, our 310 seems like a lot more than its 75 hp its supposed to have, was wondering if the 312 is as gutsy?

Someone on this forum said IH could not keep up with the needs for the 300\400 engines in medium duty applications so they went with the German diesels in some tractors to free up engines for trucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkG said:

Someone on this forum said IH could not keep up with the needs for the 300\400 engines in medium duty applications so they went with the German diesels in some tractors to free up engines for trucks.

I remember seeing that too.

666, early 686, 666 hydro, early 86 hydro used the 312

Later 686 and hydro 86 went to the 310