Coytee

Let's talk 15' flex-wing mowers

you can run a 540 mower on a 1000 tractor pto shaft - not that i would recommend it full time, BUT you can run the tractor at lower RPM to achieve the 540 rpm and use less fuel. 

some swap out the yoke, some swap with an adapter, some swap out the entire end of the shaft where it slips over for extension  - I worked for a farmer that used his that way on pasture topping = I also do it from time to time on one of our old mowers works great just remember not to crack teh throttle WO

50 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

you can run a 540 mower on a 1000 tractor pto shaft - not that i would recommend it full time, BUT you can run the tractor at lower RPM to achieve the 540 rpm and use less fuel. 

some swap out the yoke, some swap with an adapter, some swap out the entire end of the shaft where it slips over for extension  - I worked for a farmer that used his that way on pasture topping = I also do it from time to time on one of our old mowers works great just remember not to crack teh throttle WO

I think that Matt was saying that you are not going to be happy running a mower gear for 1000 RPM on the 540 RPM shaft on the tractor.

Not very much is going to get done.

My uncle’s brother used to like to Bush-hog, but never seemed to catch on to how the bush-hog was connected to the tractor.

If we set it up for the 1000 RPM shaft on the tractor with an adapter he would make the tractor scream and hitting rocks meant that blades would go FLYING!!

If we switched it back to the 540 RPM shaft with NO adapter he would idle down to 1100-1200 RPM and lug the snot out of the engine and wonder for a couple of days why the tractor smoked so much and burned so much fuel.

He was the kind of fellow that could shatter anvils with a rubber mallet!!!!

yea i got that he was trying to run something half speed so was giving him another option - hopefully not like your uncles bro............its a wonder some people survive around this stuff 

so did anyone discover the true nature of the  3-4 gear box conversion on new models?

tractors too big and /or 1000 and they cant take it in china %$*^+_ castings......?

13 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

We are going to run our 15' rhino 540 mower behind the 7250 on an adapter for the 1000 shaft. We need 4x4 to make it through the mud at or near some food plots and it's all that's available currently. I would like to have a 1000 mower, up to a 20'er but this one was 1500 bucks in useable condition