Coytee

Let's talk 15' flex-wing mowers

3 hours ago, B.B. said:

One more thing if you get a batwing if you don't have one already get a good gas powered blower to keep the crap off it.  That's what makes them rust is all the grass and debris build up that then gets wet. 

19865.jpeg

Great point. Mine's a backpack blower though. Just got done blowing my 10'er off. I had a 14' Lilliston then went to the 10'. I'm not going back to bigger. Three point mounted, a 110 hp tractor handles it and easier to maneuver.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, B.B. said:

One more thing if you get a batwing if you don't have one already get a good gas powered blower to keep the crap off it.  That's what makes them rust is all the grass and debris build up that then gets wet. 

Yeah, I totally agree.  (I also have a backback)

I ususally put the backback blower on, jump on my (can I say it on this forum) John Deere 430 lawn mower, ride out to where the tractor is parked, do my stuff the blow it off when I'm done.

When I first got the mower, it had a small Sherwood Forest growing on it as the prior owner evidently didn't do that

Obviously they're larger, but I was looking to see if the newer mowers had a full piano hinge for the wing.  This mower I have doesn't have a full length hinge so (without having measured) there is an inch plus gap between the hinges that it does have (I think it has three hinges down the length of the wings)  Both of the wings have some clippings that blow through this gap and blow upward, collecting on the top of the mower.  One of the wings is particularly bad.  I guess it's the rotation of the blade being different but it's a real confetti machine on that side.

Also, because of this gap....  I get pelted every now & then with debris that gets perfectly aligned as it gets flung by the blade....  makes it through the gap....  pelts me in the back or the back of the head.  Not been a big deal but it's on the back of my mind as a possible issue should someone have their head turned and it hit them in the face.  I've been mulling some thoughts over in my head how I might mount a 1/4" piece of plexiglass to the canopy frame to act as a buffer.

Looks like the mowers I saw yesterday, had a full length hinge so there should me much less confetti (or shrapnel) blowing through.

JD 430 is a garden tractor, not a mower but I digress! :)

Piece of plexiglass would help as I would not want to be pelted in anyway shape nor form.  I get Poison Ivy way too easily and there's always some where I mow.  I am glad to have a cab! 

I did my fair share of shopping around for a new 15 foot cutter 3 years ago. We never had a good mower, I was always borrowing one and would always end up working on someone else's  junk. I ended up buying a Woods. I didn't have $15k to spend on something to mow water ways and corn stalks. All the large farmers around us, 3000 acres plus, were switching to woods. I paid $11,500 for a brand new BW180XHD, 540 shaft, all around chain shields and aircraft tires, singles on the wings and center duals. I love the mower. I haven't had a problem with it. But I'm not out reclaiming the forest with it either. Used to run it on a 1066 and now have upgraded to a 7110 magnum. Good luck with whatever you go with. Also the one thing I like about woods is you can run the wings 90° and not hurt any driveline components. I mow a lot of our road banks and it makes things really nice. I have each wing on a different remote so I can work them all individually.

IMG_20171016_181504741.jpg

IMG_20171016_182206_232.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, B.B. said:

JD 430 is a garden tractor, not a mower but I digress! :)

I'm guessing you didn't notice my calling the 1066 with mower behind it my lawn mower....

For my purposes, that's exactly what it/they are. :) (and the lights work on both of them now!!)

Vote for a used shulte if you can find it, xh1500. I've got a xh1000(single wing) and it is a beast... It'll cut anything you can get under the deck...its heavy and biult like a tank. They are Canadian tho. Customer service from the factory is top notch too.

I've never delved too deep into specs on these mowers (always used the 444 with a 5' behind it but for the short while my father in law had the Rhino)

Anyway....

Scenario:

Two mowers, 15' cut....  one with blade tip speed 15,000 FPM (if I recall) and the other, 16,000 FPM?  Part of me says "meh... not a big deal, it's only a 6% increase"

How much weight do you put on blade speed?  Is that enough to pick the 16K mower?

17 minutes ago, Coytee said:

How much weight do you put on blade speed?  Is that enough to pick the 16K mower?

To mow pasture ground? LOL C'mon really? :):)

I call my bush hogs a lawn mower too but a garden tractor is a garden tractor :)

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Vote for a used shulte if you can find it, xh1500. I've got a xh1000(single wing) and it is a beast... It'll cut anything you can get under the deck...its heavy and biult like a tank. They are Canadian tho. Customer service from the factory is top notch too.

x2 schulte are one tough mower.  my 15 ft cuts sage brush 6-8" in diameter. pull it with a 5288. dont even know its back there. customer service is excellent

10 hours ago, B.B. said:

To mow pasture ground? LOL C'mon really? :):)

Yes really.

I fully understand you don't know what experiences I've had.

The 444 with a 6' Woods finish mower, BRAND NEW BLADES (so they're sharp) will go out into a field I've been finish cutting for 20 years now.  It will do an absolutely PATHETIC job of mulching up what it cuts if it's long.

Frankly, I attribute it to the 444 being old/tired and not getting things to actual full RPM's (tach cable broke)  Even when cable worked, I seem to recall it never revving very much.

So now I have a field of ripped grass instead of mulched cut up grass.

So yeah, now I'm wondering about blade speed and how that might change things.

Then again, it's only 6% faster which is why I'm wondering if anyone cares about that difference.  My inference is that you don't.  

Because of how poor the 444/Woods cuts the field, I've been cutting it this summer on the JD 430 which totally shreds what I drive over unless it's those 24" weed/grass stalks that whip around in the blade and remain vertical when you're done.  Everything around them is cut but those sometimes escape.

It's called doing your due-dilligence and I'm trying to turn all the stones over.

Only thing I've ever seen that will mulch is a lawn mower. I think the deck has to be designed to keep the clipping inside until they are cut many times. We have a large finish mower. The advantage is the multiple tires allow you to cut much closer without scalping. Faster blade tip speed should allow you a faster ground speed with same results. For chopping large brush I think a slower blade tip speed would be better so the blade will not wear on just the tip. Maybe faster blade speed would give better suction from the angle on the back of the blades.

Tip speed on a bush hog type mower I think is just a marketing gimmick for the most part.  It may have some validity on a mowing deck used on grass yards, but so does a lot of other things on mower decks.  

2 hours ago, MarkG said:

. I think the deck has to be designed to keep the clipping inside until they are cut many times.

Thats the secret to mulching. I built a bushog type mower for front of cub cadet. The sides and rear are totaly enclosed. It chops brush so fine you wonder where it went. It mows the lawn as well as a finish mower. Can not do tall grass. Can't get rid of it. It will but you drive in a couple inches and sit and wait till it grinds down then repeat.

3 hours ago, MarkG said:

For chopping large brush

Most of our fields are grass, I don't usually have much large stuff to chop up.  If the fields were smoooooooooth, I'd actually consider buying a 15' finish mower.  I think it would get bounced around too much so I don't.

The only time I have rough stuff is when I'm at the fringes.  Since the farm was leased and I haven't been cutting it (other than once this summer) for the last six years or so, there's a lot of crap growing that wasn't there before.  Once that's done and things are shaped up the way I prefer them, I don't really "need" a rotary cutter to cut things.... however, given the terrain is uneven or rough in some places, it certainly is my better choice.

I like to keep the fields all trimmed & looking nice all the time.  In fact, my wife rolls her eyes when I cut the field in front of the house (finish mower) every weekend saying it doesn't need it.  I make the comment back to her that it's because I cut it before it looks like it needs it, that it always looks so nice.

I'd like to cut the rest of the farm every couple weeks (but I don't....I resist and only do it spring, maybe twice during summer and then fall)

Um maybe im forgeting something already covered here but....why dont the owners want to do something with the land that would bring IN income rather than mowing it all with no return? Hay, crops, rent it out as pasture? 

I get wanting to keep the brush down and keep it neat but why not buy a good low hour used machine for once or twice a year to clean things up and in the meantime get a few dollars flowing  in from one of the things i mentioned above? 

The farm has passed down to my wife's generation and now, there are 12 different owners.  Most of them live out of state.  My wife & I, her cousin & his wife and his daughter/husband all live on the farm (250 acres) on three deeded tracts of land.

Some of the other family members use the farm as their private hunting lodge during the season....  and OTHER members of the family are thinking 'Gee, I only go to visit them, I'm not getting any of my value ($$$) of the property I inherited....

So the game plan is to sell the farm "down the road".

Because of that, the last farmer's lease was allowed to lapse so nobody has anything going on that isn't family related.  Over time, we'll (if I get my way) get the farm back into nice looking and then, put up for sale.

• Sad 1

Here are some pictures & links (if they take)

I had never heard of Schulte until I got here.  Been looking them up, found a couple relatively nearby (maybe 4 hours one way, perhaps further for the 20')

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/batwing-mowers/1999/schulte/3020/19784894

This one only has a single picture.  I called & spoke with them making the comment that the picture might be construed as look how clean the unit is....  or, it's hiding the REST of the machine and its related problems.  Really struck me interesting that they only have a single picture AND, they seem to be a dealer of some kind.  It's a 20' unit.  Would speed things up around here over a 15' unit.  If these are so fantastic, then I'm curious as to the price....then again, I admit my ignorance to the price so have nothing to back that up with.

The second unit https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/33949789/2014-schulte-fx1800

Looking at the listing, I don't think it's a dealer, more likely his personal use.  Says he bought it not knowing it was a 1000 shaft and all his tractors are 540.

This is a 15' unit which would sneak into smaller areas here... and it costs double.

Since I know zero about these, what are your thoughts??

Newburn.jpg

Corbin.jpg

you will have to make the call on mow it faster vs most it with a 15' so you can get into other places with it - regarding the green paint they are good mowers from what everyone says - im sure you could get more pix of the other one if needed and they are legit - neither looks beat to pieces - if you plan to reclaim any forest get the heaviest unit you can afford if you are just mowing pasture then likely most any will do

I would much rather have sharp blades that are maintained and kept sharp on either machine than worry about a very small difference in tip speed when it comes to mowing pasture land with a rotary cutter.......just my $.02

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 5:12 PM, Coytee said:

Here are some pictures & links (if they take)

I had never heard of Schulte until I got here.  Been looking them up, found a couple relatively nearby (maybe 4 hours one way, perhaps further for the 20')

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/batwing-mowers/1999/schulte/3020/19784894

This one only has a single picture.  I called & spoke with them making the comment that the picture might be construed as look how clean the unit is....  or, it's hiding the REST of the machine and its related problems.  Really struck me interesting that they only have a single picture AND, they seem to be a dealer of some kind.  It's a 20' unit.  Would speed things up around here over a 15' unit.  If these are so fantastic, then I'm curious as to the price....then again, I admit my ignorance to the price so have nothing to back that up with.

The second unit https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/33949789/2014-schulte-fx1800

Looking at the listing, I don't think it's a dealer, more likely his personal use.  Says he bought it not knowing it was a 1000 shaft and all his tractors are 540.

This is a 15' unit which would sneak into smaller areas here... and it costs double.

Since I know zero about these, what are your thoughts??

Newburn.jpg

Corbin.jpg

Both look like good machines, but if you are wanting the mow small trees version look for the xh series. Most spend but strongest.

Finally got some pictures on the 20' unit

Seems it comes with double blades for chopping cotton stalks???

I've never seen double blades on a mower so for mowing a pasture, is that a waste of money, is it very useful?

Are they the same blades where I could take one off and have a set of spares???  (I'm guessing the mounting bolt is longer to fit the double blades)

Having never seen doubles, are there any concerns about how I might use it?

Guy told me over the phone that it was structurally sound, just roughed up paint.  Asked him how it might work behind a 1066 he said if I was just cutting a field, probably ok.....but if I got into long stuff or tried to cut sherwood forest, it might bog the tractor down.

(given what's been going on with the 540 shaft, images of the 1000 shaft snapping quickly came to mind....so how big are those concerns??)

Front.jpg

Blades.jpg

Finally got some pictures on the 20' unit

Seems it comes with double blades for chopping cotton stalks???

I've never seen double blades on a mower so for mowing a pasture, is that a waste of money, is it very useful?

Are they the same blades where I could take one off and have a set of spares???  (I'm guessing the mounting bolt is longer to fit the double blades)

Having never seen doubles, are there any concerns about how I might use it?

Guy told me over the phone that it was structurally sound, just roughed up paint.  Asked him how it might work behind a 1066 he said if I was just cutting a field, probably ok.....but if I got into long stuff or tried to cut sherwood forest, it might bog the tractor down.

(given what's been going on with the 540 shaft, images of the 1000 shaft snapping quickly came to mind....so how big are those concerns??)

some deere used to have dual blades - they were chopping stalks with the one i saw. I dont think it would hurt a thing to have dual blades for grass. 

looks like you might just put in a spacer to take up the extra thickness of the blade, they are bent accordingly so not much space to take up

as long as not rusted through/hinge issues it shoudl be good 

as long as you are not mowing tall warm season nasty thick CRP or multi year growth with saplings etc..... that 1066 would be plenty, likely its not stock as most nowadays people have messed with them 

Looking at the blades they both mounted on the same bolt and need to be there or add a washer. Just leave them in the mower 

The double blades are for chopping stalks, they'll pull hard in grass. Blades don't look bad, Nick's but ends rounded off. They can be touched up with a hand grinder. Deck is typically of having sat outside with debris on top.

Without going back to the start of your thread, why the concern about 1,000 pro shaft? I seem to recall your tractor had both shafts. The 1,000 is designed for higher hp. I sure wouldn't run it on 540 using an adapter, BTDT.  At least change the coupler but before I would do that I would check that the gears are same in a 540 machine as in a 1,000. Would think they would be different but I could be wrong.

There's no way they're geared the same. If you run a 1000 geared mower on a 540 shaft with an adapter, or with a different yoke, you will NOT be happy. After the grass gets done winning the slap-fight with the mower...