hardknocks

1688 rotor vanes

Intalling new rotor vanes in my 1688 from A&I  how are you supose to get to the nuts on top  to tighnen them. the ones right under the cab.  It looks like a acess door under the cab. and the get to that by taking the seat out and floor board under the seat.  Is this correct?

Never knew of any access door, and I've put in a lot of rotor cages.

You can get to those nuts, you just have to reach.  I'm not a very large frame guy, so I could get up in there to reach them.

9 hours ago, hardknocks said:

Intalling new rotor vanes in my 1688 from A&I  how are you supose to get to the nuts on top  to tighnen them. the ones right under the cab.  It looks like a acess door under the cab. and the get to that by taking the seat out and floor board under the seat.  Is this correct?

I always take the rotor out I have a lift that handles those that like a dream no access doors either long arms are a must too lol

i did one of the transport vanes not the circular ones I welded the T bolt onto the vane and was able to hold it on and tighten it by myself, so welding is an option

14 hours ago, wheatking said:

i did one of the transport vanes not the circular ones I welded the T bolt onto the vane and was able to hold it on and tighten it by myself, so welding is an option

Vanes are hard.  Welding to them weakens them.  Not a good idea.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Vanes are hard.  Welding to them weakens them.  Not a good idea.

just a light zap weld enough to hold it is all I did you can still hold with a bare hand after I weld, vane is still holding well after 8000 acres so its fine, also used Duct tape to hold bolts in to 

Dealer mechanic is the one that suggested spot welding tbolts in...

14 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Dealer mechanic is the one that suggested spot welding tbolts in...

I was a dealer mechanic too, and the only one certified at my dealer for the new 2300 series when they came out.  I worked on a lot of combines.  Which is why after I left the dealer, I swore I'd never work on another one, lol. And I basically haven't.

I guess I’ve tack welded T-bolts to vanes for nearly 30 years...no problems yet. Seen vanes damaged by many things, but never by welding. If I don’t have access to a welder, I have used yellow death(weatherstrip adhesive) or quick-setup JB weld to hold the T bolt in place as well. Whatever works. 

i doint have no problem  holding t-bolt in  its the very back vane of transision cone  i cant reach to put nut on my arm is not smalll enough to go by the braces. and im a skinny person.  actually when i took the old Vanes off it was welded where i cant reach the nut on top