Sign in to follow this  
Whats in the barn ?

Farmall H brake pedal assist Ideas ??

Have a Farmall H and would like ideas for a homemade brake assist lever when pulling up brake lock pawl for brakes. I know they sell them . But would like to make a better one . Need ideas ???

Dad bought just a simple 3/8" or 5/16" rod with two little recessed clips slid over it before both ends of the rod was bent 90 degrees for about an inch.  The angle around the rod that separates the bends is close to 180 degrees.  The clips bolt on under the two front bolts on the platform, the right bend on the rod goes under the brake latch, the left bend sticks up off the platform maybe 1/2 inch.  When you stop the tractor, push in the clutch, shift to neutral, push in the brake,  tap down the left end of the rod and you've set the brake. To go again, push in clutch, select gear, tap the brake latch down and ease the clutch out.  You use it the tens of thousands of times I have it becomes a reflex action. I've seen all the chains and cables you get your right foot tangled up in. This rod sits down flat on the platform, less than 1/8th inch off the platform, or whatever thickness steel you make them out of.

Dad bought them at Tractor Supply in Galesburg, I'll back in the 1950's,  Any time a tractor got traded it was removed and put on the newer tractor. When he bought the '48 M to go under the corn picker I think he hunted up the rod off the '47 M that was put on the SM-TA.  The 450 that replaced the SMTA had the stock brake latch which really wasn't a very good design.

I think if you ground a short slot in both sides of the steel cover over the hyd hoses and battery cables these rods would work on 300/400/350/450 too.

A picture would be worth thousands of words but my phone takes terrible pictures.  Old flip phone, blurry lense!

Don't know if mine is better, just works well and took 5 mins to make. Had a suit coat wire hanger. 15 sec to cut to proper length, another 30 sec bending to straight line, then putting a bit of a hook on the end to pull up and hold brake pawl. A few minutes for function testing, then done. Just hang it out of the way on lamp bar when not in use. Was going to, but have not yet painted it red. Have seen some pretty elaborate devices, but the wire works just fine for me. Believe I read about making one of just wire on this site quite a while back while researching something else.        

1 hour ago, oldfarmkid said:

Don't know if mine is better, just works well and took 5 mins to make. Had a suit coat wire hanger. 15 sec to cut to proper length, another 30 sec bending to straight line, then putting a bit of a hook on the end to pull up and hold brake pawl. A few minutes for function testing, then done. Just hang it out of the way on lamp bar when not in use. Was going to, but have not yet painted it red. Have seen some pretty elaborate devices, but the wire works just fine for me. Believe I read about making one of just wire on this site quite a while back while researching something else.        

Problem I've had with neighbor's M's & H's with chains or cables to pull the latch up,, Or clothes hangers you try to pull up on the back of the brake latch,  your right foot holding the brake down is in the way.  A loose piece of wire hanging off the light bar seems like it would get lost a lot.  But a clothes hanger is something everybody has and is cheap and easy to work with.

I broke the rod on the factory latch on the 450 one time. Who thought it was O-K to put a 3/32" cross hole thru a 3/16" rod?  Anyhow, I had to set the brake by bending down and raising the latch with my finger. I was about 14-15 years old,  I could bend like that.  First time Dad tried to set the brake it was welded, reinforced, and back in service.

Speaking of H & M parts made from rod,  Dad did have a PTO shifter on the M, little lever about two feet long bolted to the platform that he could reach down and engage/disengage the PTO when the picker was on it, the end of the lever was right beside where his left foot normally rested on the platform. Another Tractor Supply thing when TSC actually sold tractor parts. Not sure where it or the OEM pto rod went to but I bought 3 ft of 5/16" rod and bent up a new rod, and instead of only coming 6 inches above the platform I ran it TWO FEET above the platform, sitting in the seat it's right next to the back left side of the seat,  about like reaching for your wallet, no bending, no having to even look for it.  I even threaded the top half inch and put a black plastic knob on it.  I'd like to make one for the SH but it's been probably 30 years since either tractor had anything hooked to the pto.

Lots of Farmer Engineered stuff for these old tractors out there. SON was up this weekend. Had both Farmalls out and running.  Just having one or both of them sitting around idling seems to make me feel 25-30 years old again.

• Like 2

This simple little curved piece of metal riveted to the brake pawl on my Super H makes it easy to lock them down. You just push the brake pedals with your foot and catch the loop with your heel to flip up the pawl. Takes a little practice but once you get it, it's easy.

20180803_185152.thumb.jpg.35745cbb43dd0f9f3508a91bcc147a8a.jpg

• Like 3

NO WIRE HANGERS! Sorry couldn’t resist, movie quote....

Any pictures of them ??????

Everything on old tractors was made for young skinny operators.  That is what farmers were.  Young, skinny, tough, and limber.

I went past that years ago.😀

Ron

• Haha 1