Picked this one up recently. Runs pretty good for sitting in a field for 20 plus years. Because I am going to restore this one i am in need of the full skins. It has the brackets and hinges for all the sheet metal but Im pretty sure im never gonna find them and i think ill probably end up converting it into a os4 with the standard clamshell fenders. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would love to hear them. 

Josh 

20190719_213333.jpg

00f0f_PtBtGD8Hof_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

the 'standard" clam shell fenders are not the same as an OS4. braces/brackets and the fender itself has different features. not saying it cannot be done but its not a bolt on fender

On 7/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, hillman said:

the 'standard" clam shell fenders are not the same as an OS4. braces/brackets and the fender itself has different features. not saying it cannot be done but its not a bolt on fender

I figured that. I am expecting to do a lot of fabrication on this one. Thanks. 

Josh 

I would be interested in the front wheel weights.. those tractors should have the heavy cast front hubs. those look like the standard 4 front hubs.  i also have an os4 I would sell.

I have been told by the Wisconsin historical society that they have drawings. The parts manual (available from binder books) has the part numbers, and for a fee, you might be able to get the drawings from them.

10 hours ago, rustred said:

I would be interested in the front wheel weights.. those tractors should have the heavy cast front hubs. those look like the standard 4 front hubs.  i also have an os4 I would sell.

Some did, some didn't. Even the IH literature of the period shows orchard tractors with both the sold wheel and the spoked ones. I've been trying for a few years to figure out the rhyme and reason behind which ones got the solid wheels and which ones got spoked wheels, but I can say definitively that it's NOT consistent across models (as in "all orchards have solid front wheels). See this thread from a while ago where I dug up some pics...

19 hours ago, Josh from CA said:

I figured that. I am expecting to do a lot of fabrication on this one. Thanks. 

Josh 

if you cannot find a set of OS4 fenders I should be able to help you with a rough pair but the shipping would be nuts so I could supply the pieces necessary to convert a "standard" or w4 set . I also have a spare serial tag to make your conversion more complete

heres an OS4 fender 

DSCI0465.JPG

DSCI0464.JPG

Sheet metal is out there but it takes time and patience. The harder part is being prepared to take the financial plunge when the opportunity arises as you don't know when. My brother and I lucked out and found a great set of side curtains and the operator cowling. We were actually contemplating buying the side curtains just to put them in the barn, luckily we were able to purchase the O4 we had our eye on, then immediately bought them. Below is a picture of what we assembled.

IIRC someone did reproduce the rear fenders and operator cowling. You may be able to search and find the old postings, I think on YT.

Like previously stated, W4 fenders can be reworked into OS4 Fenders. You actually have a better chance at finding O4 sheet metal than OS4 as there were half as many OS4's manufactured.

Ohh, if you didn't already know, you have a fairly rare set of outer rear wheel weights that are highly sought after. Last sets I knew of sold for $600.....each.

FF52EB66-7F1B-4541-91C6-568FF5417D6C.jpeg

• Like 2

^^ I am looking for an operators cowl for my o4 if you hear of one. my 04 is mostly orig with 24" split rims and orig tires, 

according to my 1951 dealers price book the "steering wheel cowl attachment" list price was $11.50

I have 2 sets of the second wheel weights...….I am rich !  ( not for sale thou )

6 hours ago, SAM86 said:

I might be crazy but I think it would be neat to custom make a super C look like the tin work for the orchard parts for using it for a woods mower deck. I thought this up after reading this thread just before mowing the lawn around my Apple trees on my A with the woods deck

On 8/2/2019 at 4:05 PM, SAM86 said:

Sheet metal is out there but it takes time and patience. The harder part is being prepared to take the financial plunge when the opportunity arises as you don't know when. My brother and I lucked out and found a great set of side curtains and the operator cowling. We were actually contemplating buying the side curtains just to put them in the barn, luckily we were able to purchase the O4 we had our eye on, then immediately bought them. Below is a picture of what we assembled.

IIRC someone did reproduce the rear fenders and operator cowling. You may be able to search and find the old postings, I think on YT.

Like previously stated, W4 fenders can be reworked into OS4 Fenders. You actually have a better chance at finding O4 sheet metal than OS4 as there were half as many OS4's manufactured.

Ohh, if you didn't already know, you have a fairly rare set of outer rear wheel weights that are highly sought after. Last sets I knew of sold for $600.....each.

I knew the rear wheel weights were sorta rare but i didn't expect that. The tractor is being restored in a antique tractor restoration competition and we have a time constraint so i have to get some fenders soon... although i will continue to search for the original style. Thanks for the info. 

Josh ,

Congratulations nice find and great project.

Place an Ad in Western Antique Iron trader, and an Ad in AG Source magazine , see if you can flush out anything more  local..

If you find the metal in the mid-west don't be afraid of shipping , they can strap it down on a pallet and ship  LTL truck , the lighter weight of tin work will be your friend.

I actually bought my 560 clam shell fenders from Canada and they only had a shipping tag on each fender and they came UPS. Albeit I had to have them delivered to my dealer Linder Equipment . Cost was not prohibitive.

Keep us posted on your project.

Are you doing this as a school project or on your own ? I know that the Paso Robles area seems to have a great young tractor restoration program.  Saw lot of nice ones at Mid State Fair couple weeks back.

BTW Mel needs competition at CAFES. 

Tony

Josh, there is on O4 for sale in oregon (friend owns it) but the rear fenders are all chopped up and 1 batwing has a edge trimmed off it. basically as far as tinwork on it there is essentially 1 batwing thats ready to go. It s a stupid early serial number too, like te 7th O4 built.

Another friend has one here in Iowa with all the tinwork on it. problem is getting it trucked to cali in a timely manner. I can get more info and price on it if needed.

Mel Monteiro called me a couple weeks ago about what you were needing so ive been looking for ya

• Like 1

as far as I know, if you have the solid heavy cast front hubs you have the slow low  creeper gear.  mine has the heavy hubs.

13 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

Josh ,

Congratulations nice find and great project.

Place an Ad in Western Antique Iron trader, and an Ad in AG Source magazine , see if you can flush out anything more  local..

If you find the metal in the mid-west don't be afraid of shipping , they can strap it down on a pallet and ship  LTL truck , the lighter weight of tin work will be your friend.

I actually bought my 560 clam shell fenders from Canada and they only had a shipping tag on each fender and they came UPS. Albeit I had to have them delivered to my dealer Linder Equipment . Cost was not prohibitive.

Keep us posted on your project.

Are you doing this as a school project or on your own ? I know that the Paso Robles area seems to have a great young tractor restoration program.  Saw lot of nice ones at Mid State Fair couple weeks back.

BTW Mel needs competition at CAFES. 

Tony

Tony, i am doing this project with the restoration program but not with my school. It will be just me working on the tractor. The tractor restoration program is pretty good and i am glad to be a part of it. 

BTW this one is going to be way better than mel's

• Like 2

I'll Keep my eyes open and I have a friend that deals in old equipment I'll ask him to be on look out

Tony

I have made a ton of progress in the past couple of days. I am ready to pull the engine and start rebuilding it. I have been slowly working on the other small parts that need repairs or rebuilding.

One of the small parts i started working on is the exhaust manifold elbow. It is cracked and missing a pretty good size chunck on the bottom of it. I plan to TIG braze it back together. 

When i was pulling all radiator and water pump i relized that it has a brand new radiator and a brand new water pump. Once we got the head off i saw almost every water port plugged solid. Im almost sure that overheating was one of the reasons it was retired.

When i first got it running it knocked real bad. It turns out that pistons 1, 2, and 4 have really worn wristpins. It will be interesting what the inside looks like.

Thanks to everyone who has been helping me with my fender situation. 

Josh 

• Like 1

Preparation for TIG brazing. 

20190806_134946.jpg

20190806_135002.jpg

• Like 1

Your looking good !, Josh

Tony

I have found some major issues inside the motor of this thing. It looked pretty clean when i pulled the oil pan off and i think i spoke to soon when i said it looks good. As i was removing the number 1 rod bearing cap (which was saftey wired with bailing wire) 2 small pieces of spun bearing fell out. All 4 rod bearings were spun which leads me to believe that it got rebuilt with the wrong size bearings. It pretty much almost destroyed both the rods and the crank so those will have to go to a machine shop to be ground. Good news though. I found a O4 with really straight skins and a rebuilt motor for a good price. 😀

This is the O4 i just got. 

20190831_102317.jpg

01313_jRps9lBO4JR_600x450.jpg

• Like 4