Sign in to follow this  
Roossinck

Farmall B Industrial?

So I came across an auction with what appears to be a factory yellow Farmall B. Is that a real-deal thing, or did somebody have some leftover Caterpillar paint and get bored one night? I can't find reference to anything, and I'm not sure what to make of this. Here's a few photos - there are more on the auction listing. 

YellowFarmallB4.jpg

YellowFarmallB3.jpg

YellowFarmallB2.jpg

YellowFarmallB.jpg

Might have been a county or state tractor for mowing roadways at one time? I believe they were yellow? 

6 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Might have been a county or state tractor for mowing roadways at one time? I believe they were yellow? 

I wondered if that might've been the case. I know there were quite a few road commission tractors back in the day. 

I'm pretty sure that there was never an industrial version of B like there was of the A. As stated possibly a highway dept tractor or somebody with time and yellow paint on their hands. 

it was born burnt orange.......I bet it was built between December 1945 and April 1947, due to the red oxide being short due to the war IHC mixed a cheap red with yellow to extend the paint and it was a brownish burnt orange that faded RAPIDLY to yellow within a year if it spent much time outside. I have several original paint M's B's and an H that's that color. IH was supposed to repaint them red after the war but many didn't get it. the wheels stayed red because usually they were dipped in 'red lead' which was a cheap paint used on wheels on tractors and implement wheels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Neat, maybe Road Commission? I've seen an M that was once. 

8 hours ago, ihcbill said:

it was born burnt orange.......I bet it was built between December 1945 and April 1947, due to the red oxide being short due to the war IHC mixed a cheap red with yellow to extend the paint and it was a brownish burnt orange that faded RAPIDLY to yellow within a year if it spent much time outside. I have several original paint M's B's and an H that's that color. IH was supposed to repaint them red after the war but many didn't get it. the wheels stayed red because usually they were dipped in 'red lead' which was a cheap paint used on wheels on tractors and implement wheels.

My W4 built in jan of 47.It has never been repainted. the underside of the hood and the rocker cover still show as red.

Marty,NZ

IMG_2645.thumb.JPG.bcfcb929f7cc560f0362816735cb305d.JPG

• Like 2

Curious ,like mentioned ,what is color under hood , red or yellow ,orange ?

could it be a replacement hood from an A ?

17 hours ago, ihcbill said:

That would definitely explain it! (I'm still a relative nOOb, so I really appreciate the history lesson on stuff like this!)

If I recall correctly, if you bought a certain number they would paint them pretty much any color requested. I could have sworn I read that on here. It seemed like there were a couple groups that had done such.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ihcbill said:

X2.  We have an original W9 that vintage, that color.

• Like 1

That looks like a BN the right fender is right next to the seat I thought a B is farther away

On 7/30/2019 at 11:31 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

I admit I'm no expert but did any State/Counties mow w/ belly mowers?  I never seen such.

Fresh out of HS I mowed for our local County Rd. Com. in 1971 and they ran IHC 504's w/ sickle bars.  I can't see that belly mowers would fit the need for anything but divided highway medians. 

On 8/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, JOE MI said:

That looks like a BN the right fender is right next to the seat I thought a B is farther away

no, its a B. this is my BN- left side extra seat, but the right side is the same- no space between seat support and fender..

2003-01-20 12.32.35.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JOE MI said:

So a BN is right tight thanks for the info

yup. that little mountain-shaped support in the OP's first picture is the giveaway that its a straight B, and, from a conversation at RPRU, hard to find if you were putting a second seat on a B.

Some ''looked'' red some were a burnt orange an ive been told by a few original owners they had some that were brown......it was all ''war quality'' paint so it was all a little different from one batch to the next and in the end it all faded to yellow. I talked to a retired FARMALL Plant employee 30 plus years ago that worked in the paint department at FARMALL during WW2 and at times they were running so low on the red pigment and almost had to send out yellow Farmalls for a time. but today when an original paint tractor shows up with this paint most people assume its an industrial.