Sign in to follow this  
hagan

one great tractor 450

Dad purchased a 450 brand new in the fall of 57 and switched it over to LP Gas at the beginning and that was  great big step from the M. It was 90% of a 560 with less problems and everyone liked to drive it better. This is on BigIron.com and it is a really neat looking 450 for its age. Brings back memories

https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/1958McCormickFarmall4502WDTractor

Didnt always feel this way but have come to really like my 400. Was my first tractor as well so have had it more than a few years now.

A 450 is my favorite flavor of Farmall

That's making me miss mine …..:(

I put a Huge Boat load of hours on Dad's 450, was an exact twin to this tractor except no belt pulley on our's.  One spring break we only had 20 acres of old corn ground disked to sow oats, in Nine Days, we had 40 acres of oats sowed, rest of stalks disked and just about done plowing,  maybe 20 acres left, one day's work. Three tanks and maybe half of a 4th every day plowing, even with the Big 21 gallon tank. Little less disking. Always seemed like the biggest 55 hp tractor around. It easily held it's own against the neighbor's D-17, but his D-19 would slowly walk away from it, till the last year we had the 450 and he had the D-19, he dropped a gear and I'd walk away from him still running 3rd gear. I did all the cultivating with the 450 and #461 frt mounted cultivator. Dad did the combining, 450 played with the Deere #30 pull type. I don't Ever remember adding a quart of oil to it, sure appreciated the dipstick!

Dad had a 400 with 450 pistons.  Used it for many years.....but gotta say it had some problems.   Exhaust pipe kept coming loose from the manifold; I finally made a separate brace system to hold it in place.  PS was crap, hydraulic system always needed work, gearshift kept slipping past (I could put it back in the dark with a pair of pliers in a couple minutes), swinging drawbar was always breaking or having the u pin work out, you had to scoot forward to push the clutch all the way down.   The seat was a literal pain in the back.  I mounted a PS pump off a truck onto it, which solved that problem, at least.  I will say we never had to tear down the engine or rear end in all the years I used it, just all little stuff.   The one thing that I always loved was getting out on the road in high gear, rev up, and then throw the torque ahead--what a rush! I sold it locally to a guy who completely restored it.    

I would take a gas 450 with Firecraters or M&W's in the C-281 any day of the week and twice on sunday over a gas 560......................and depending who is buying the gas, maybe even over a 560 Diesel.  I liked the earlier Fast Hitch on the 400 better, but other than that a 450 is about as perfect as it gets.

What is the handle that runs along the right side of the battery box. I don't remember that

18 minutes ago, Bleedinred said:

What is the handle that runs along the right side of the battery box. I don't remember that

As I remember it, that is a handle used to release the 2 point latches.  It lets you release the latches while sitting in the seat.  My Grand Father had 2 450 Diesels.  Started on Gas, then switched over to diesel.  I spent a lot of time on them.  Pulled a 4 bottom drag type plow and a 6 foot hard land disk.

That is a sweet one . Indeed that's the FH latch handle. Never seen mount clips like that. Wish I had a set for the 560.

yes thats the 2pt fatch hitch release handle so you dont have to get off to unhook, just pull the latches and drive off - that 450 has the 560 type fast hitch with the auto sensing - HATE THAT - ours had the early version with dual hydraulic cylinders on the fast hitch. 

Yes the PS stunk on those, ours was propane, it had a charlin pump just beyond the tank and it leaked oil all over teh engine and smoked when we had the loader on it working it, it didnt leak much with the loader off. We put several sets of seals around that shaft and it never helped. 

Ours cracked the block block between cylinders so we had the block repaired, new sleeves etc............it wasnt fool proof, but it did have more guts on the low in than our 560 every day of the week so lugging was better on the 400. It was upgraded to oversized pistons/sleeves and it had the propane head with sodium filled valves in it. Ran Well.......

We had 2 560Ds, they still dont lug like the 400/450 engines, you drop below 1200 rpms and you better be grabbing a T/A or PTO handle cause she is going down, the 400/450 would pull out of 600RPM easily 

560D are fuel sippers run forever it seems on fuel. 

Hated the hydraulics on the 560, unhooked the stupid autosensing linkage on ours. 

One 560 had the high volume optional hydraulic pump on it, it really did help running the loader/power steering/speed of hydraulics in general. 

560D was much easier to get more HP out of though,  a twist here/and crank adjust there and shaazam you were rollin coal!!!!!

Very healthy and smooth for sure - only had one we had to put head gaskets in, head warped in it, adn had to plane the deck on it - the one I turned up never had any issues with the motor whatsoever 

We never had any problems with the power steering on our 450. It was the behlen setup that ours had and we had a loader on it

I've always had a bug for a 450. Just for contrast to the 560. Not to many good ones around here and they aren't for sale usually. The rest are just flat whipped.

oh yea our 400 had the fast hitch release handle by your left foot, there was a bracket there that it slid down through and the look handle stuck up to grab - our 400 also did not have Live Power - the seats were VERY bouncy lol and not very comfortable, 560 had a way better seat 

wish you could still get down pressure w/out some add on apparatus 

The 450 we had also had crappy ps. You would be going along, steering working smooth as could be z& all of a sudden it would catch & take both hands to turn the wheel. Was a real oita cultivating. Ours would out work the 656 gas we purchased new in '67, though the 656 was a nicer tractor to operate.

11 hours ago, bitty said:

We never had any problems with the power steering on our 450. It was the behlen setup that ours had and we had a loader on it

The Behlen PS on our 450 never gave us any problems either, and the #461 cultivator was kinda heavy, I couldn't steer it on the end rows with one finger but one hand on the spinner was easy enough. Year after Dad got it spring of '65 he took it to town and had the sand blaster/bridge painter repaint it. They blew sand into everything, the hyd pump & reservoir got too hot to touch on the 9 mile trip home, new paint started smoking,  had to be towed back to town. Some pressure relief valve was damaged by the sand. Only other problem was the differential carrier bearings, replaced left side one year, right side following year.

The year before, '64 was the year of "My Tractor", the Jolly Green Giant, or as I like to call it, the Deere Failure, the R diesel, it and the SMTA were within ONE horse power of each other. R burned 2 gallons per hour, SM-TA about 3 to 3-1/2 gal, but with the TA the Farmall did more plowing, disking, or whatever. Tried pulling the Deere 4-14 plow with the R in sod, 2nd gear and 1st on one clay hill, pulled IH 3-14 in old corn ground in 3rd from then on, same as SMTA but still  over 1/2 mph slower than SMTA.  Last 16 acres I plowed that year was after the R was gone, Used SMTA and 4-14 Deere plow, ran 2nd gear everywhere except on one short steep clay hill, pulled aTA back, climbed hill and back to high side.

Anyhow, following year the 450 pulled the fully mounted IH 4F-43 plow, 4-14's everywhere, 2nd in sod, 3rd in old corn ground.  Needed about 500# on the frt end to keep the frt wheels down when running on the road.

The Fast Hitch on the 450 was the only integral hitch we ever used, had a 6 ft Service blade, IH #25 stalk chopper, the plow, and drawbar. The live PTO had the usual whine when disengaged, but ran anything we ever hooked to it.  Probably should have kept it, or maybe the SMTA just for the LPTO.

I really wanted a 450 but ended up with a 560D which has turned out to be a great tractor despite my misgivings of it.

I still want a diesel 450 but I've got more tractors than is good for me as is. They still turn my head though!

We used to have a gasoline one. Dad bought it in 1984 down at Stahl's at Fletcher. Ran good but engine made noise. Dad had a mechanic that used to work for the dealership in town before it closed come out and overhaul it. The piston pins we're wore super bad and that is why it would somewhat knock when it was running. Adam put a  M&W kit in it. It also had a M&W add power governor linkage. Said so right on the side of it. That was on already when dad bought it. It had a patch on the left side of the block kinda right in the middle. It would just seep a tad of oil, but sure never affected it's performance. Lol. I sure wish it was still around here. Dad just never really took to it, so he traded it off in 1990 on a 1063 cornhead.

21 hours ago, rcb said:

I really wanted a 450 but ended up with a 560D which has turned out to be a great tractor despite my misgivings of it.

I still want a diesel 450 but I've got more tractors than is good for me as is. They still turn my head though!

I never heard good things about the diesel 400/450 units - folks had a lot of probs with them but maybe im wrong? 

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

I never heard good things about the diesel 400/450 units - folks had a lot of probs with them but maybe im wrong? 

I can't say I've heard much bad about the 450. The 560 on the other hand of course has a lot of bad reports. I didn't want one at all but came across one for a good price. Funny enough it's turned out to be a great tractor.

Now I really miss it....... No question on the lugging ability! I really did not realize this until I bought the 606D and tried my Bush Hog 3008 mower, wow heavy grass and weeds would flat stall it out where the 450 would just grind its way through. I know my fire crater equipped 450 was knocking on the door of 60 HP almost 10 more than the 606 . A solid M would have out lugged it too. Mine had the Behlen PS as well and when i first got it it was fine until the tractor really warmed up then it would get harder and harder and catch like Boog said. Replaced all the O rings and it was much improved. While I’m very happy with my 806 that replaced the 450 the thing I think I miss the most is the sound of the exhaust with a good load on!

• Like 1

Uncle had a 400 diesel. Dont think it was too bad a tractor but i believe that is the one that caught on fire twice. Trash on exhaust at least one time....might have been broken oil line or a leak other time. Idk but at least once because of fire he had to shut down in a hurry and could not let it cool down first. Cracked a head i think.

4 hours ago, TomH said:

Now I really miss it....... No question on the lugging ability! I really did not realize this until I bought the 606D and tried my Bush Hog 3008 mower, wow heavy grass and weeds would flat stall it out where the 450 would just grind its way through. I know my fire crater equipped 450 was knocking on the door of 60 HP almost 10 more than the 606 . A solid M would have out lugged it too. Mine had the Behlen PS as well and when i first got it it was fine until the tractor really warmed up then it would get harder and harder and catch like Boog said. Replaced all the O rings and it was much improved. While I’m very happy with my 806 that replaced the 450 the thing I think I miss the most is the sound of the exhaust with a good load on!

oh my yes the 606d basically the same as a 460 cu in wise, i believe was even more anemic than the 560D/282 - if you dont keep them spun up they will fall down quick, my 706 is not that way with the german, my 560 is now a parade tractor it would make a great grading tractor at a tractor pull also