Sign in to follow this  

Case IH 6200 drill

Looking at a set of 2 14' 6200 grain drills at an auction. Says it has heavy springs, will that do no till seeding? Also has grass seed boxes. Looking for something for seeding cover crops and a little small grain, what do you guys guess that these would bring? Thanks, Robert 

From my experience with a 620 press wheel drill they don't have enough down pressure on the disc openers to no till. Mine didn't have the grass seeders attachment, mainly drilled soybeans and a little wheat with it. I would inspect it very closely as parts are hard to come by and expensive. . Especially check the rubber press wheels for cracking, dry rot and the centers of the press wheel rims as they break out where the axle goes thru. IIRC, back in the early '90s the rims were over $100 and press wheel tires around $75.

Looked at it this afternoon, needs openers, but rest of drills looked good and has end transport attachment. This one had steel press wheels. It's an online auction, ends tomorrow night. It's at 1550 now with an 8% buyers premium. Openers from shoup are 64 a row, about 3k for parts, guess we'll see how it ends tomorrow.

No they won’t no till. To much down pressure will bend the strap spring fits over. You will bust up all the hangers on rock shaft so to speak on top if you try to force it down. They are a good drill will seed a nice crop on worked land. Made many rounds with a 620 and 6200 drills.

If you want to notill what you have listed. A  9450 jd hoe drill would work or a good set of 7200 cih hoe drills

Thanks for the info! Dad has a haybuster 107 that needs openers as well. We've never used it. He got it to remove some row units and convert to 3 pt for planting cover crop between corn rows but never got it accomplished. Might be better off rebuilding the 107 instead of getting the 6200s

16 hours ago, boog said:

From my experience with a 620 press wheel drill they don't have enough down pressure on the disc openers to no till. Mine didn't have the grass seeders attachment, mainly drilled soybeans and a little wheat with it. I would inspect it very closely as parts are hard to come by and expensive. . Especially check the rubber press wheels for cracking, dry rot and the centers of the press wheel rims as they break out where the axle goes thru. IIRC, back in the early '90s the rims were over $100 and press wheel tires around $75.

We ran spoke wheels on most of the 620 drills. They were tougher than the solid wheel but could catch rocks and would sift dry fine sand. Dad use to buy a 100 drill on auction every couple years we would strip them for wheels and disc boots. He usually paid around 750 for a 14 ft back then 

12 hours ago, dale560 said:

No they won’t no till. To much down pressure will bend the strap spring fits over. You will bust up all the hangers on rock shaft so to speak on top if you try to force it down. They are a good drill will seed a nice crop on worked land. Made many rounds with a 620 and 6200 drills.

Question is the 5200 Case IH three point hitch mounted drill the same way that it'll break the end of the rock shaft so to speak if you use it too aggressively?

We just got a 15-footer to do cover crops with grass seed boxes. We can drill ours with a 510 drill that we have that is not no till and that works okay I'm sure some ground is different than other

Here is picture. The green circled area if you try heavy down pressure it will just bend stuff here. The down pressure arms and straps are not that strong either to push a double disc into ground.

5C00F26F-076E-47C8-8578-57EAA7D4BADB.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Talking about 620/6200 press drills in hard ground takes me back about 35 years ago working for a neighbor. Back in the 1980s, the government was paying farmers to “idle” or “set aside” 10-20% of the farm ground by not planting it as a way to get rid of the grain surplus at the time. In our area, that ground was summer fallowed that summer...then planted to winter wheat in the fall. A couple of those years my neighbor had some WW fields that suffered winterkill in some parts of the field. We would take 620 press drills into those fields the following spring and interseed spring wheat into some areas of the field rather than tear up the WW. It worked, but I wouldn’t want to use a 620 in any harder ground conditions than that. 

3588 2+2 and 3-14’ set of 620 press drills...brings back a lot of memories. 

4 minutes ago, SDman said:

Talking about 620/6200 press drills in hard ground takes me back about 35 years ago working for a neighbor. Back in the 1980s, the government was paying farmers to “idle” or “set aside” 10-20% of the farm ground by not planting it as a way to get rid of the grain surplus at the time. In our area, that ground was summer fallowed that summer...then planted to winter wheat in the fall. A couple of those years my neighbor had some WW fields that suffered winterkill in some parts of the field. We would take 620 press drills into those fields the following spring and interseed spring wheat into some areas of the field rather than tear up the WW. It worked, but I wouldn’t want to use a 620 in any harder ground conditions than that. 

3588 2+2 and 3-14’ set of 620 press drills...brings back a lot of memories. 

We ran 2 14 ft 620s behind a 8630 jd pulling a  vibra chisel with drags. The drills were pulled behind cultivator. We also ran a 14 ft set behind 806 with a vibra shank and drag with drills behind. Round for round 806 would catch 8630 every couple hours.  

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

We ran 2 14 ft 620s behind a 8630 jd pulling a  vibra chisel with drags. The drills were pulled behind cultivator. We also ran a 14 ft set behind 806 with a vibra shank and drag with drills behind. Round for round 806 would catch 8630 every couple hours.  

My Dad/brother used a similar setup at our farm for over 20 years. Pulled an IH #37 14’ disc along with a 620 14’ press drill behind our 1086. The 1086 just played with it.