1985 1440 Case IH

All,

I have come across an opportunity on a 1985 1440 with the Case International paint scheme. Comes with a 15' 820, and can be had for $3500, which seems like a steal.

The bad:

Some sort of hydraulic leak coming from the big hydraulic pump. Guy who has it says that it was leaking very noticeably and nearly ran out the reservoir. He stated that the header lift wouldn't work and the steering was not working properly until he filled it up. When I went to look at it, I could see a trace of the oil, but moved it around and couldn't reproduce the leak. I did notice that the header lift and unload auger wouldn't work, but I put the transmission in neutral and pushed the hydro fully forward to purge air. After this the header lift and auger would work. The auger would decelerate slowly and didn't really snap into place when extending. When flipping the button after it was out, I could feel a valve actuating, and the feeder could be seen reacting to this slightly.

A/C doesn't work, and the belt is wrapped around the pulley. Compressor moves on it's mounts. Not sure if the belt came of and was broken due to the looseness or if the compressor is bad. Refrigerant pressure light comes on when switch is turned on. Not sure if it's lost charge or simply due to the compressor not turning due to the belt. 

Dented unload auger, which is still functional. 

Needs a cab kit. 

Right side tailings is rotted out and duct taped. Not sure how difficult this is to repair.

PTO (between engine and pump) dipstick shows no oil.

Top cap of degas bottle is broken.

The good:

Decent paint condition, some dents here and there.

Engine seems to run great. 

Practically perfect Firestone 23 degrees on the front. Rear tires are worn.

How afraid of this machine should I be? I don't want to step into something that is a deal and end up sinking a ton of money in it. I farm on the side as a hobby and have a deal with a full timer for combining, but have wanted to get an IH rotary for my own use to do my own combining again. It would be nice not to have to wait on him to be available.

Don’t just walk away, run away. Those are just the obvious problems you can see. Does not sound like it was well cared for and combines that are not well cared for and gone through every year are a huge money pit. I would keep looking

How well equipped is your shop? How much free time do you have? 1440 is 358 German diesel isn't it? Sweet engine, expensive to fix. Nice thing about IH Rotaries they have an extensive aftermarket. Unless you plan on going through it from the bones up,walk.

36 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

1440 is non turbo 436.

Your right. 1420 is the 358.

The drivetrain was the weakest part of the 40 series(1440/1640) Transmission was to light. Especially if it had the large tires. The front axle was also to light. I stocked the trans parts and early on the shop would rebuild them. As the 1400's got older it was cheaper to get a complete axle/trans assembly from a 1460 out of a salvage yard.  The PTO behind the engine was the same for 40/60's. Three seals if I remember right. If it ran to long without oil it would tear out the bevel gear set. Look for a 1460. They are in the same price range anymore. 

Had a 1660 for 17 years I tried to keep it up to snuff but sometimes it still broke down. If you can tinker with it yourself then go for it otherwise no deal. The pto leaking is going to cost some bucks thinking like 3500-4000 at the dealer. These things will run forever if you want to keep spending 

Walk away.  You're going to spend several thousand on parts on what you see!  Even if you do repairs yourself, going to spend a bundle.  Other machines out there for the same money that are better condition.

You said it has nearly perfect tires.   Might be worth buying just for the tire, depending on the size.   Then find a better combine priced cheap because of worn out tires....

Like Jeff says it sounds like a really nice parts machine

I am going to disagree. If hydro doesn’t leak much when running you are good. If you let them set over winter lots of those combines leaked the oil out. Return boot is common to replace . A 1440 is same combine as 1460 just no turbo lighter front axle and transmission. No hopper extension and so on. Our neighbor has a real nice 1460 for sale he can’t get 4500 for it. 

How many separator hours are on this thing?

The one thing that stands out to me is that if the owner wouldn’t even replace the lower tailings boot, then he probably didn’t fix anything else, either.

• Like 2