dannyredfan

Shaving razors old and new

Hard to believe. The old razor is older then me, shaved dad many years .

they joke on the radio about shaving handles getting  handed down like a family   Heirloom

i bought some blades for it, I was pleased.  I don’t shave near as often as I should.  Just let it grow trim a few times then maybe shave.   

For long hair it did a great job very easy to clean out.  

Its not baby but smooth and lotioned up but neither am I 🙂1F4AAC90-6F14-4234-A577-38A9CBAE34B2.thumb.jpeg.4330d22e0aba00b9990bad6ddf0a93a9.jpegI like the new one. But long hair chokes it up awfully bad. 

Haven't found a new disposable that lasts more than one shave yet. And they aren't cheap.

I can buy blades for the old one seems like less then a dollar a blade.  Can’t give a good comparison as I don’t shave that often.

But my beard is tough and a blade is good for two shavings then toss 

• Like 1

Electric three rotor head  

Shave once a week with cordless hair trimmer.

8 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

visit the dollar isle

Only thing in Dollar General that isn't cheap.

Never used the older style but the newer style are expensive for sure. I can get a week (shaving every day) out of the newer style refill. Electric razors don’t cut very close and leave a sandpaper (120grit) finish on my face. Gels and lotions make it worse.  I’ve shaved dry (water only to clean out the razor) for years and get the best results that way. 

I have Dad's double edge razor he used in WWII. Handed down!

It works great, won't plug like those 3 bladed ones no matter how long the stubble is.

The hard part is finding blades. There are not racks of the Gillette's like there used to be.

1 hour ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I have Dad's double edge razor he used in WWII. Handed down!

It works great, won't plug like those 3 bladed ones no matter how long the stubble is.

The hard part is finding blades. There are not racks of the Gillette's like there used to be.

Mail order. My son uses one. Gets his refills in the mail automatic.

I bought up hundreds of Gillette Platinum Plus years ago on eBay when I could no longer find them in the stores.  Also scored a couple new razors.  Wife called me stupid.  I am still in good shape.  Use one every day.  Blades last me several shaves, but I do not have a very tough beard.

Ron

Girl that cuts my hair said barbers in this State are no longer allowed to give straight razor shaves. What's the world coming to?

Nair Hair Remover Lotion for Legs Body Aloe Lanolin - 9 oz

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MTO said:

Nair Hair Remover Lotion for Legs Body Aloe Lanolin - 9 oz

You know come to think of it you did look AWFULLY baby-smooth when I saw you last month😊. Be careful not to spill ‘tween the legs.....🤓.

I used to use a Gillette track 2 until it broke. Now I just use Gillette disposables which give me about a week. Dad always used his razor he had in WWII, might have to ask my Mom if it’s still around.

• Haha 1

This! Not a bad little shaver. Has beard trimmer, nose/ear hair trimmer. Hair clippers with different length attachments. 

Cordless rechargable. 

I don’t remember how much it cost but I would probably buy another one.

Not as close as bladed razors but unless I become rich and famous ( or when?) it’s good enough for me!

1165D36C-F67A-4567-BC17-B99A400FF5E8.jpeg

BF89AA9E-3C1C-4000-8AA0-6B796C10154E.jpeg

3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

This! Not a bad little shaver. Has beard trimmer, nose/ear hair trimmer. Hair clippers with different length attachments. 

Cordless rechargable. 

I don’t remember how much it cost but I would probably buy another one.

Not as close as bladed razors but unless I become rich and famous ( or when?) it’s good enough for me!

1165D36C-F67A-4567-BC17-B99A400FF5E8.jpeg

BF89AA9E-3C1C-4000-8AA0-6B796C10154E.jpeg

Looks like you were shearing sheep with it!

• Haha 1

This was passed down to me by my "Opa". It is still sharp enough to shave with. Not brave enough to use it😄

The case reads: Samtliche Raslerbedarfsartikel

J. Guthardt

Stahlwaren &

Rasslermesser - Hohlschklotferol

Cassel

Konigstr. 58

That's a lotta German for a little straight razor😂

razor.jpg.042f37c7e832a6f5c42190fb818f6a7b.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

assault razor.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MTO said:

Looks like you were shearing sheep with it!

I think my wife probably has😱🤯!

I was a long time dollar shave club member, I go 3-4 days between because of terrible razor burn/ingrown hairs. I made the switch to a safety razor, like the one on the left. I tried various blade brands, I’ve found VanderHagen in the orange pack is the best. About.75 each when bought on amazon. I can shave every day now, close but not too close presentable for any occasion and I have not had an ingrown hair since. Keep it steep or it drags. I opted for a 20-30 dollar handle, i May try a fancier one some day 

ECF148EC-FB00-46FC-BC3F-1300ED559B24.jpeg

FAE05799-A2A1-4075-8E29-B7F1406ABE4A.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

I think my wife probably has😱🤯!

Why am I not the least bit surprised...........

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I was a long time dollar shave club member, I go 3-4 days between because of terrible razor burn/ingrown hairs. I made the switch to a safety razor, like the one on the left. I tried various blade brands, I’ve found VanderHagen in the orange pack is the best. About.75 each when bought on amazon. I can shave every day now, close but not too close presentable for any occasion and I have not had an ingrown hair since. Keep it steep or it drags. I opted for a 20-30 dollar handle, i May try a fancier one some day 

ECF148EC-FB00-46FC-BC3F-1300ED559B24.jpeg

FAE05799-A2A1-4075-8E29-B7F1406ABE4A.jpeg

I can relate and have also gone back to the simple, cheap, and in my opinion better shaving safety razor. My only advice is keep it away from the wife. Mine has been confiscated and need to get another now. I will admit they work great on legs too....not mine of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38CD31A0-0EF5-4228-844C-3ADC259826CA.thumb.jpeg.4641dcdfaa6fb50c6c5f33f7824d59d7.jpegVander-Hagen is the brand I bought think I got them at dollar store last.  Just shaved my beard off I have had the blades a little while. Just remembered why I switched 

• Like 1

I went old school to the safety razor several years ago.  While it takes a little time to learn your safety razor craft, I won't go back.  Closer shave, less irritation, and happier skin.  My tools are in the attached photo.  Two blades are less than a dollar for the pair...$4.50 for 10.  I shave every other day and go through one blade every two weeks.

Shaving tools.jpg

• Like 2