tractorman21

Truck Thoughts

I have been looking to add a second truck to the farm and I am currently looking at a new Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummins diesel.

I was always a ford guy, until their diesel engines almost broke me with far too many problems to list. I switched to a Chevy Silverado with the 6.6 Duramax and have been pleasantly surprised with how well it runs and have had very few problems.

All of the new trucks are too expensive, but I have found a Dodge Ram 3500 that is cheaper in price, but I don't know anything about them.

I did a test drive and the truck seems to drive fine and the engine has plenty of power. I just don't know enough about the Ram trucks to make a decision.

Are there any know issues with the Dodge trucks? I have always heard about transmission issues, but that's about it.

What should I be concerned with if I buy this truck?

Thanks for any thoughts, or opinions.

David

Been lots and lots of improvements on the RAM trucks over the years.  We need to know what model year the truck your looking at is.

Transmission failures and the front ends take lots of parts to try to get reasonably safe to drive once any amount of miles are on them . Neighbors '08 diesel has very loose front end and the '05 he traded to get the '08 was scary loose up front. 

It's a 2018 model with 10,000 miles. Dealer is asking $ 46,779.00 and I have offered $ 43,500.00

It's priced cheaper than the Ford and Chevy trucks that are comparable.

If you are in a position to pay the going rate for a pickup that new then you should be able to pay to fix whatever needs it

You will be in that situation with any vehicle you choose so get one you like

The 6.7's are not a bad motor , not what the 5.9 was but all of the emissions junk are the cause of most of the problems. We had Chevy then Ford diesels, but nothing but dodge since 02. The earlier trucks were kind of crude and rough riding , but tougher than a pine knot. The 2012's and newer have been pretty much trouble free.we have a 2016 with 100,000 miles and nothing but brakes and tires.

I service a couple rams both have lots  miles on them one is a 14 other 16 some emissions issues but nothing else 

I guess i would question what the cost savings is at that mileage compared to brand new, usually the dealer incentives, lower interest rates for new and insurance discounts for new make a 10K Mike year old truck a tough justification. 

We ordered a '17 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 and really like it.  We are not very brand loyal, but have had more Fords in past years.  We drove the Big Three prior to our purchase and that focused things a good bit.  We opted for the Ram due to the smooth ride and flexibility of the optional air suspension, cab comfort, and brakes.  Ford was close and would have been our second choice.

FYI - Ram is killing it with sales numbers right now.  Ram outsold both Chevrolet and GMC combined last month.  Year to date, they have sold 50K more trucks than Chevrolet.  I never thought that ever see that in my lifetime given the fact that Dodge sold less than 85,000 trucks total in 1993.

15 hours ago, bitty said:

Transmission failures and the front ends take lots of parts to try to get reasonably safe to drive once any amount of miles are on them . Neighbors '08 diesel has very loose front end and the '05 he traded to get the '08 was scary loose up front. 

My experience with front end issues have aftermarket steering stabilizer shocks are junk. I went back to factory parts and have had no more issues. My truck ( an 06) is not a diesel but with the added weight of the diesel i would expect maintenance (greasing) would become much more important. There was a recall on front end parts for that era truck.

dont have your specifics but nada is calling invoice at $51K for new

used with minimum $7K to work with on the public side  $35-38 their acquisition 

< 100 miles '18 (new) if found still on lot should be buyable for $48k ish (programs)

used...

_- 10% for leaving dealer lot  -$5-7K

2 yrs old       - 25-$3500 x 2x   technically 3 

10K m         - $2K

$55k list - $5k-6K - 2k = $42K retail

incentives programs etc