Doug C

674 clutch won't release

Hi all.   I have an IH 674 that the previous owner said he replaced the clutch plate and ground the flywheel.  He didn't run it much after that (over a year ago).   The problem is the tractor runs fine but when the clutch is depressed it stays engaged.  The only way to change gears or direction is to shut the tractor off, change gears and start it up again.   I have the inspection plate off and have sprayed it with WD40 and am hoping the throw out bearing is just stuck on the shaft and won't slide. 

No change.   Any ideas?

It's a great little tractor but not really usable.   Any help would be appreciated.

You say you have to stop engine to shift. You do not say you have to stop engine to stop tractor.  If throw out bearing was not sliding on "shaft" pedal would not go down unless you broke something. There are many possibilities here. If you can stop tractor without stopping engine. I think ultimatly you'll have to split tractor to fix. If it doesn't release at all. Possibly drive plate is stuck to flywheel and may be freed by shock loads. Here again its only possible. I would want to take apart, cleanup and repair anything needed. Then you know what you have.

You can tell if the throwout bearing is moving if you get under there and watch while someone else pushes the pedal. It moves very noticeably, and you will see it engage the fingers on the pressure plate and release the clutch.

My concern here is the previous owner did not run it much because it was doing exactly as you described, and he did not want to go through the trouble of splitting it again, or ran into a stubborn mechanic who would not stand behind his work. If that's the reality here, the tractor needs to come apart.

You MIGHT get lucky and the clutch disk is simply stuck to the flywheel by some light rust, and it will break free through use. If you could hook it to something heavy and drag it around with the clutch pedal held down that would give you the best chance. However if it does not come unstuck fairly quickly you have bigger problems and it's time to split the tractor.

• Like 1

IF  it worked right at first after previous owner had clutch done it could be disc stuck to flywheel as others have said. I was always told start it up in road gear with clutch pushed in and your other foot stomped on brakes as hard as you can. I have unstuck the clutch on my 400 a few times that way after it sat for long periods of time in dampish spring weather. If you try it make sure your out in the open first. As has been said if thats not it, sounds like you may need to split it. Good luck.

Thanks IOWABOY.      I'll try that when I get a chance.   That is kind of what I was wondering about and appreciate the first person experience.

Doug

thanks MATT.   I will hook onto something and drag it around with the clutch depressed.  Good idea.

What did you mean by you "sprayed it with WD40 through the inspection cover?

I sprayed up into the clutch to see if that would let it release if it was rusted and won't release because of that.   Make sense?

The clutch releases enough that by pushing the clutch in, the tractor will actually stop moving.   A bit of brake helps, but once stopped, it won't move until I release the clutch.  It is staying engaged enough that it grinds the gears when trying to change, but not engaged enough to move the tractor (if that makes sense) at lower RPM.

Sounds like it needs adjustment. Can’t remember the exact sequence and some have non contact throwout and constant contact throwout bearings. Someone should be able to guide you through  

John

thanks John.   I adjusted it on the Peddle so there is as much throw as possible but it made zero difference.   Still a work in progress, since I don't seem to have much time to work on it right now.   Frustrating though.

Thanks again.  

If it will stop when you press the clutch that's not good news. Typically that means the clutch disk is in backwards or the pilot bearing in the flywheel is hanging up/seizing...

There's only one adjustment you can make and that's the freeplay adjustment. Too little wears out your throwout bearing. Too much and the clutch won't release fully, but you're already there.

Unfortunately it sounds like it's going to have to come apart. Sorry for the bad news.

Heres some possibilities. Disk bent on installation. Disk rusted to splines. Bad pilot bearing. Flywheel turned to far and dampener is dragging on flywheel bolts. Pressure plate out of adjustment. All require splitting and removal to fix right.