CubNamedOscar

Any Good 6V Batteries?

Howdy all, I'm here to ask What's a Good Quality 6 Volt Battery around the Midwest? (Michigan Specifically) I got a 51 Farmall Cub that needs a new one, No sorry I am not interested in converting out to 12V. Keeping all original due to my Grandfather Wish. 

I'm open to all brands & Also... What about a Good quality Oil Pan Gasket? Thank you.

I think the ones that Caseih sells will fit the box best , they are less on the height to match original . 

If that’s not an issue size. I use the Autozone 6volt on the Farmall C and Super C .  I don’t know about life , they last me 3 years . I don’t take care of them as I should , so keeping them fully charged. And cables disconnected for winter with battery tender . It would last long time I think .

First choice would be Caseih, but I’ve never tried one. 👀👍🏿

My advice is the use the best 2 gage battery cables ,don’t skimp on cables and use 12 volt cables are not heavy enough it will make a world of difference to your Cub starting and charging performance 👍🏿👀

• Like 1

the last  pair of Case IH batteries I bought are exactly that- the last ones

more money less warranty and less or no more life than brand "X" 

that's my finding maybe others have had better luck. the last set in my 656 lasted 13 months. the current TSC batteries are 30 months and work great. the few others I have had did not perform well either

• Like 1

I have an Optima 6 V in my H  it’s 15 years old  they’re expensive but you don’t have to worry about leaks and they last 

Thanks for some advice & Places to go. I'll look around a bit more. 

You should be able to  a find an Optima any parts store and probably have to order it 

• Like 1

I had a JD 6 volt in my A years ago and it lasted well. Don't know what they offer anymore

• Like 1

like all parts now they are ^&%^(&*^  , made to fail once cash clears

last 3 walmart actually had the best quality/price $ and useless < 30m warranty ,they did only charge 30% and $2mo for replacement

• Like 1

6V batteries get a bad rap because they're more often than not put on an old 6V generator/regulator system that's not working quite right, if at all.

What's more important than the battery brand is that the charging system is working properly, and not overcharging or undercharging the battery. Also the tractor needs to be run regularly, and there can't be any parasitic draw on the battery.

I do like the $48.88 Walmart specials, but they don't have any 6V, at least not in any of the Walmarts I've been in.

• Like 1

I agree with the charging system problems, a good battery is only as good as the charging system.  We have a deka 6 volt in our H that went in before it was restored in 07. Charged every spring and works great. Had great luck with Deka. Local guy sells them and installs and checks charging system. 

• Like 1

I have in Interstate in my H. I keep it charged during winter. It's still works fine at 9 years old.

X2 Deka

Dennis

• Like 1

My BN has a 6V that came from Federated Auto parts, was in it when I got it. Its 8 years old and works fine. Sometimes I really don't think it matters what kind you buy, 3 year old Deka's in my F350 truck and one died last Fall. Walmart "Never start" in my Kubota lawn mower is at least 10 years old and it sits all winter .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jingles1928 said:

X2 Deka

Dennis

we considered deka as there is one close  $ was more than interstate and warranty was 2yr 25%/$4mo dont let the door hit you

so at 1yr $100 purchase = $25 + $48 rebate  on $135 retail  new one ....bigger game with anything that does offer a warranty now.

x years from ORIGINAL purchase  so if you buy 3 within the warranty period cost is more than 4 outright

• Like 1

I use a big 6 volt john deere in my super M depends what would fit in yours but if your charging system is working good it will do a good job Mine is going on 6 years now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mmi said:

we considered deka as there is one close  $ was more than interstate and warranty was 2yr 25%/$4mo dont let the door hit you

so at 1yr $100 purchase = $25 + $48 rebate  on $135 retail  new one ....bigger game with anything that does offer a warranty now.

x years from ORIGINAL purchase  so if you buy 3 within the warranty period cost is more than 4 outright

Never had to use warranty but I do disconnect in the winter and use battery tender on the old stuff. Also make sure charging system works like it should. Have five year old battery on my f-250 I use everyday year round. Just check connections every once in a while for clean. I am a little anal about batteries but I guess if you check every once in a while and keep up with them any battery would give you decent service.

Dennis

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

6V batteries get a bad rap because they're more often than not put on an old 6V generator/regulator system that's not working quite right, if at all.

What's more important than the battery brand is that the charging system is working properly, and not overcharging or undercharging the battery. Also the tractor needs to be run regularly, and there can't be any parasitic draw on the battery.

I do like the $48.88 Walmart specials, but they don't have any 6V, at least not in any of the Walmarts I've been in.

Charging system works. Always has. I wouldn't think my cub has very many hours on it since it was Overhauled in the Mid-2000s. 
I only use it to pull stuff around & Mow the lawn. We live on roughly 5 aces, along with 110 acres of Orchard.

I've noticed that as well I don't believe Wally world does sell 6V Batteries. If this wasn't my Grandfather's Cub & His Dying Wish for me to Keep it all original I'd consider going to 12V. But I can't. ;)

Edited by CubNamedOscar

I'll look into Dekas, Interstate & the Walmart "Never start" Brand. *edit* I've looked a bit and Cannot find a Deka that is sold Near me anywhere.. I'm in Holland, Michigan. 

I believe I have a Batteries-plus - Duracell Ultra, I've had it for roughly 3-4 yrs I think... When my Rear Tire Blew out as I was stand-by filling air into it that's when I parked it Temporarily into my Fathers Storage Shelter there it sat for I think 3 years, With the battery off Charge. So Really It's my fault for not taking it out & keeping it on the Tricker Charger. 

IMG_20190723_191654.jpg

Edited by CubNamedOscar

NAPA batteries have been way more dependable for me than Interstates.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

NAPA batteries have been way more dependable for me than Interstates.

My experience has been just the opposite. So there you go.

• Confused 1

Napa commercial is made by deka I have had good luck with them.     We put a 8 volt in my dads H. Starts better and uses the same charging system 

• Like 2

Napa batteries used to be Exide but have been made by East Penn (Deka) for the last five years or so, at least in the East and Midwest

• Like 1

I vote for the NAPA ones.  I have had one in my 300 and it has been outstanding.  Get their best one. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:15 PM, My 300 said:

I vote for the NAPA ones.  I have had one in my 300 and it has been outstanding.  Get their best one. 

I will buy this one then. Pretty good price and good CCA. All the others I've found are 450 ish CCA. 
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7204?partTypeName=Battery+-+Commercial&keywordInput=6v+battery