The outside of the bearing is free but the inside is stuck on the splined shaft. Maybe there is a shoulder that the bearing sits on? I modified a little pry bar but no luck yet.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think that’s about as good as it’s gonna get. 

Just a little tree clearing with some fresh hydraulic hoses. Adding tilt soon. Harvest is here.

Here is another pic of when the dozer was first dropped off in pieces from Hank in Indiana. It didn’t run and was practically seized up with a bad ring gear. Neighbors were probably very confused.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Pbach said:

The outside of the bearing is free but the inside is stuck on the splined shaft. Maybe there is a shoulder that the bearing sits on? I modified a little pry bar but no luck yet.

The next step is to pull the front cover, then you can really clean the transmission case😁

Pete,

Well that looks like fun! NOT! Looks like it may be tough to get a hold of the outer race? Going to have to get creative! I'm going for popcorn!

Regards,

Chris

Fine fine I’ll pull the front cover haha. I have all the cap screws off but the cover is stuck in place and no where to pry it off. The manual says I can use puller screws to pop it off but I am not sure what that means. Surely someone has done this before? All the other old bearings are going to be jealous once I replace this one.

BDDE437A-B813-4EAE-9457-032AEBBCE367.jpeg

I'll attach a photo of the page in my service manual, covers both 6's and 9's. Read number 2 at the bottom left of the page. I have 3 covers off of TD9's and they all have extra threaded holes in the cover, located at 3, 7 and 11 o'clock. about 1 1/2 inches away from the bolt holes, You use the same bolts that you take out of the holes and thread them into the cover and tighten evenly and the cover will pop off. You will have to dig around as your photos shows that cover is really covered up in old oil and grease. You HAVE taken off the top cover, right? You will have to so you can get the two main shafts inside the transmission lined up when You put the front cover back on. Plus you will find a second bearing on the input shaft, inside the cover.

George

IMG_0249.JPG

• Like 1

Pete,

I finished the popcorn and just reading this makes me tired!:) Your doing a great job and I am learning about some areas of a TD6 machine where I have never gone and hope I may not have to. I give you lots of credit hanging in there on this work! Looks like you have a good support team that have BTDT.

Regards,

Chris

I love these pictures. I have seen others that make it look like 2 springs, because they have been worn out , the loop is gone. ?????? would the slightest micron of lithium grease under the loop help.....

My left steering brake is worn out, i can turn to the right but not left. It only runs on gas, at present time. which way should i go first, run on diesel for power, or make it turn ?  Injectors leak and squirt but do not spray with tester. advise please .

Hojon,

Welcome to the forum!  We need some information on your tracked machine.I thought my brakes were bad but ended up they just needed adjusted.  But mine could turn a little both directions.

I think I would get it running first. But that's just me.

You may also want to start a new thread about your machine too.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, 

thank you for your continued encouragement. A lot of these pictures I have never seen before on the forum so trying to document as much as possible without over loading the forum with pics. I have hundreds from crawler 1+2.

Hojon,

Yes feel free to start your own topic and you may get some more expert feedback. This is a pic of the new main clutch spring which splits into two parts when broken-I think this is what you’re referencing. I would work on the diesel side first and then focus on the steering. There may be a simple fix such as a linkage adjustment or it may be more complicated like pulling the clutches.

Pete

B3DF406C-51E3-4518-B28A-43F247B3CCB4.jpeg

I don’t have a welder so had to get a little hill billy in making a bracket to hold the alternator. Also had to grind down an exhaust manifold stud a little to get it to jussst fit. The belt is tighter than I would like but hoping it might loosen a bit when it’s run for a while.

4A188217-8775-414D-954B-D77AE2084F99.jpeg

71BF7989-D660-4E44-A765-06929D4F5F71.jpeg

• Like 1

Just about all out now haha 

was able to locate the three threaded holes (3,7,11 o’clock) in the front cover which were filled with grease and pop the cover off. Swapped bearing and seal. The bearing didn’t look too bad but oh well I was kinda interested in exploring this part of the dozer anyway. Filled back with oil now need to pop clutch back in.

I was able to do it without removing the shifter cover which was nice.

I couldn’t tell you how many times I dropped a tool down in the pool of goop..

0346CC13-FC26-45D4-A62C-638C02B355AF.jpeg

E9AFB0A5-3953-4A72-910C-BE072DD6A4E2.jpeg

8C8A0DAE-9EFC-4365-8956-F4DEA2FBBFE9.jpeg

5BB2F2B7-7BF1-450E-8210-D9E5E8F13B53.jpeg

4B09A8A2-BEB7-4F43-BEA6-035F823A38CA.jpeg

Pete,

That looks good. You are down in the inner reaches of that machine. Did you find the heart? Can you do a shot beack further for us to get a look at where you are working. Still dont have my bearings! (no pun intended!)

You did good on the alternator mounting. You must get a welder! I dont know what I would do without being able to stick some steel together with the old Mig! 

Regards,

Chris

Hardtail,

Thanks! So back of engine, bell housing , in front of clutch. Lot going on in there!

Pete,

Your getting pretty fancy with all the switches and stuff! 

Regards,

Chris

Chris maybe these pics will help you find your bearings.. hah the shop/shed just barely fits both of these guys - the dozer might have 1 inch to spare on both sides and half an inch before hitting a support post (in pic) and collapsing the shed on myself.. not much room to walk around but it beats no light and the cold if I have a portable heater going. Can’t complain too much or I’ll have Koo after me.

yes might be too fancy with the switches and dash panel but that stuff is fun to me. 

Pete

7C9878EF-BD93-4068-B427-8963435652E4.jpeg

0087779B-77EB-4605-B394-E16E413B7CA5.jpeg

Pete,

Nice compact area! looks a lot like my work areas too! Good to be inside warm and dry! I was just teasing you on the switches! Are you able to find the gaskets and bearings for replacement?

Regards,

Chris

I purchased a new front bearing from MIBearings, I think fpsmith might have them too but they never got back to me. They seem to be out there tho. I just reused the old gaskets so hopefully no future problems there. 

Pete,

On the gaskets: I sometimes find them inside a roll of gasket material from, NAPA. I picked up a set of hole punches and it makes a pretty fair looking gasket with a little effort. Nice work getting it all buttoned up! My hat is off to you! You have improved the machine and controlled leaks too!

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Few questions for you,

My alternator is not charging for some reason. The dummy light does not light with “key on” and I checked that the bulb works. I found that the terminal 1 on the alternator is not grounded when I think it should be, as long as the machine is not running... Anyone know the reason for this?

My diesel side is not running great. I bled the whole system, but after running it for a bit I found air to be in the system and it has white smoke out the exhaust. Anyone know where the air is coming from? 

I have the new seal and bearing on the clutch drive shaft and doesn’t leak. Added some LEDs and a dash panel to control lights and flame thrower attachment.

Peter

C823FBFA-7EB5-49FD-BB77-3726721E8DDF.jpeg

BEA78A19-77A5-4156-A4A3-5BD2A69B076D.jpeg

DB9A8383-D7FA-4D2E-AA85-D03230588557.jpeg

14EED708-45BD-4C60-958B-36F0463DC36F.jpeg

• Like 1

Pete,

Wow you have been busy.

On the alternator. I had a exciter wire coming from the alternator back to the Accessories terminal. it had a small diode so electric would not go back to the switch. I dont think either #1 or # 2 were grounded. You have the other one going on the same post as the battery.  But I cant remember which terminal was which? I do have electrical diagram around here somewhere. Could it be that you have #1 and # 2 terminal reversed? 

Regards,

Chris

Here is another pic of when the dozer was first dropped off in pieces from Hank in Indiana. It didn’t run and was practically seized up with a bad ring gear. Neighbors were probably very confused.

On the alternator, every diagram I looked at shows I have it wired correctly. Still trying to figure that one out.

I think I have a kinked diesel fuel line which may be the reason for restricted flow and the sucking in of air somewhere. I’ll have to replace it and see if there is improvement.

Pete

30ABF3CE-8411-470F-855B-98CC26C01A6B.jpeg

• Like 1