Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Youngest son......

Well, he's 40 but still youngest son.    He has worked for Mack Truck for 20 years. They recently entered him in the 2019 Nebraska SuperTech competition in Hasting. I don't know alot  about the competition except that there are 10 stations where each person has to figure out the problem. Example.  a transmission, electrical, fuel, etc. Write up the problem, and the solution. Sort of like FFA competitions if anyone here ever did them. Anyway he won an overall award, plus $300, and a trip to the national contest this fall. 

We didn't even know he was entered. This is the first time he has ever done this type of thing since when he was in FFA 25 years ago. Just like when he was in FFA  he is only allowed to win once. He won the National FFA mechanics competition when he was a sophomore in HS. 

At Mack he now manages and teaches/mentors. When he was wrenching he worked on all the head scratching stuff. I know that he has been sent to different places in the country to work on stuff that nobody else could figure out.   Story.... when he was 7 he dug out an old 2 cycle weed wacker from the junk pile. Wanted to know if he could have it. I said sure, but it doesn't work, it is junk.  Next day he had it running.

Don't know where he gets his talent, must be from his mother cause as you know, I can change oil and not much more.

Don't know if he has picture.

Just wanted to share. A parent is proud of their kids no matter how old they are.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment for your son.

We tried out 4 Macks at the feed mill where I work. They have been a disaster and we are in the process of replacing them with Freightliners. I wish your son worked for our dealership...their service dept. has been less than stellar.

Congratulations. It's very nice to see someone like him using his talents everyday

• Like 1

Congrats to you and your son. My father was a master mechanic and it seemed like everyone knew him when they couldn't fix it. I can remember going with him and my older brother to other repair shops to help them out. My older brother has the same talent as dad did. It just amazed me to watch them figure out the problems. They would even bet each other on who was right

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IH Forever said:

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment for your son.

We tried out 4 Macks at the feed mill where I work. They have been a disaster and we are in the process of replacing them with Freightliners. I wish your son worked for our dealership...their service dept. has been less than stellar.

We have 1😳🤕

That’s enough.

We’re chasing phantom voltage around the dash now. I suggested that we pull it into the shop for a day so we can fix it..... that went over like a fart in church.

So, when I smell burnt wires I don’t know if I should say anything or not....😳

• Sad 1

Jeez. I was hoping Mack’s had some better reviews. I have a few relatives that work in the plant and they’re made just a few miles from here in Macungie, PA.  From what I hear they can barely keep up with orders 

Congratulations ,That's an outstanding job. Hope it leads to a pay raise.

• Like 1

Congrats .No better feeling than being proud dad !All the new stuff  is trouble we have 5 different brands all have had def and elec issues .We keep a couple of mid 80,s so we always got one that will start and get home !!!Again Congratulations

• Like 1

He said that he was at somewhat of a dis-advantage because for the past 20 years he has worked 99.9% on Mack's. An example of the stations (test areas) was a Freightliner, another was a Detroit, and another was a Cummins and he had to be able to diagnose and fix the problem. One of the problems for example was ...... you had to build a wiring harness using just the scymantic (sp) as a guide. You had to use the correct connectors, wire gauge, etc. and to make life more interesting, at least half the stuff they gave you to use was wrong. For example they may give you 16 and 18 and 20 gauge wire and you had to use the correct one or they gave you a half dozen types of connectors and you had to use the correct one on the correct place. Some were there just to throw you off.

Before this you have to take a series of written tests and then the overall top 20 in the state of Nebraska went to Hastings.

This fall he will represent Nebraska at the national event in North Carolina. All of this is 100% paid for by Mack truck.

So now you can understand why he just shakes his head when I ask a mechanic question. Sort of like asking a brain surgeon to take your temperature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dads706 said:

He said that he was at somewhat of a dis-advantage because for the past 20 years he has worked 99.9% on Mack's. An example of the stations (test areas) was a Freightliner, another was a Detroit, and another was a Cummins and he had to be able to diagnose and fix the problem. One of the problems for example was ...... you had to build a wiring harness using just the scymantic (sp) as a guide. You had to use the correct connectors, wire gauge, etc. and to make life more interesting, at least half the stuff they gave you to use was wrong. For example they may give you 16 and 18 and 20 gauge wire and you had to use the correct one or they gave you a half dozen types of connectors and you had to use the correct one on the correct place. Some were there just to throw you off.

Before this you have to take a series of written tests and then the overall top 20 in the state of Nebraska went to Hastings.

This fall he will represent Nebraska at the national event in North Carolina. All of this is 100% paid for by Mack truck.

So now you can understand why he just shakes his head when I ask a mechanic question. Sort of like asking a brain surgeon to take your temperature.

Being a mechanic on these newer rigs, truck, tractor, auto, anything really, is a lot like being a brain surgeon. 

The diagnostic side alone can be overwhelming without the right equipment.

It’s not backyard mechanic kind of thing anymore. Much like everything else.

• Like 1

1. you have ever right to be proud of him you brought him up right shows he takes a lot pride in his workmanship very hard to find that in todays world. I always kind of enjoyed finding problems when other techs could not find but that was many years ago now I just open the hood put in washer fluid and then close the hood got lost around that stuff 

Here is a link.....

https://www.nebtrucking.com/ne-supertech/

I talked to him last night, he was told that the rules are that you can only 'win' 2 stations. He said he was pretty sure he won a couple others, but those are the only ones that he was credited for.

Of the 6 photos on the home page, he is the one at the tire, and holding the $100. bill.

The awards were at the Hastings Raceway a 2 1/2 mile road course. Some of the race car owners brought out their road race cars (Vettes, Mustangs, Camaros) and were giving the guys rides around the course .