Wanted: Sentry Module

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

I just put in a new REI radio as the old original was cutting out due to bad stem/volume control. You had to jiggle it to get to work and crank it up so loud it was awful. REI makes a new short radio that will fit in the hole and a cover plate for the mount as its not stems anymore. They also make an adapter wiring harness that makes it ALMOST plug/play. I only had to put on 4 spade connectors and splice to make it work. I called REI after hours on a saturday and it rang through to a tech that knew exactly my plight. The new modern unit has a ton of features like bluetooth/weather band/aux in/usb port, rca inputs or hi power output also for whatever your needs might be.  You can talk n drive now through your phone/the radio and add a mic and Intercom if you want. Pretty dang

You wouldn't happen to have a part or model number for that radio?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, thanks to a forum member, I got a good used sentry.  He was even nice enough to let me make sure it was good before I paid for it. You don’t find many trusting people like that anymore!!  To the

A lot of good sentrys were thrown out and replaced with test harnesses because people didn't understand how to diagnose the real problems.  

hmmmm well my trannie was all updated at some point but have no clue on the sentry unless i can get ahold of the dealer that did all the other stuff to it - it works great now but hope i dont have iss

Posted Images

its the 5050, the 5000 is full length due to the CD mechanism which wouldnt probably work that great with all the dirt/rough terrain

http://radioeng.com/product/st-5050-bluetooth-radio/??fwp_category=9-radios&fwp_paged=2&fwp_per_page=15&fwp_sort=popularity

• Like 1

A Sentry from the dealer is a bit more than $1000. Just looked it up and got a price of $2745 at partstore.caseih.com. I'm surprised as I thought they were NLA.

Messick's lists a reman module for $1606.90.

Still seems like a small price to pay. I don't think you can fix a shelled out transmission for that even if you do the work yourself, plus lost productivity from the tractor being down...

• Like 1
CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE Part# TRT 1252680C3 Reman IH sentry control module
This is a reman sentry module.  I reman these units.   There is a $350 core charge...   Call for details  TO SEND YOURS IN FOR REBUILD
Price includes shipping in continental U.S. $950.00
    s246352302835962487_p52_i1_w1069.jpeg
6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

that posting is from triple r tractors they evidently either rebuild them or have a source for rebuilding them if you decide to go that route

8 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

A Sentry from the dealer is a bit more than $1000. Just looked it up and got a price of $2745 at partstore.caseih.com. I'm surprised as I thought they were NLA.

Messick's lists a reman module for $1606.90.

Still seems like a small price to pay. I don't think you can fix a shelled out transmission for that even if you do the work yourself, plus lost productivity from the tractor being down...

7 hours ago, searcyfarms said:
CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE Part# TRT 1252680C3 Reman IH sentry control module
This is a reman sentry module.  I reman these units.   There is a $350 core charge...   Call for details  TO SEND YOURS IN FOR REBUILD
Price includes shipping in continental U.S. $950.00
    s246352302835962487_p52_i1_w1069.jpeg

I wasn’t aware that Messicks had a remain available for $1600, I’ll have to check on that.

As far as having triple R rebuild one for me, that’s definitely an option, but at this time I don’t have a good rebuilable core.

oh so if they burn out before you can rebuild them they are not considered rebuildable? or you just dont have one ? 

heck someone probably has one sitting on the shelf if you need one rebuilt and threw away their tractor lol

The C3 sentry model is the best out of all of them as in reliability and working correctly.  Also my understanding they can be rebuilt one time after the first failure and that's it, time to find another.  May have to contact every salvage yard around until you locate one. 

2 hours ago, Delta88 said:

AllStates Tractor Parts also lists one for $750.

Allstate, Abilene machine, and Worthington Ag are all out of sentry modules.  You can order one online from them, but they will contact you the next day to let you know they are sold out.

3 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

oh so if they burn out before you can rebuild them they are not considered rebuildable? or you just dont have one ? 

heck someone probably has one sitting on the shelf if you need one rebuilt and threw away their tractor lol

IHC5488 is correct, the C3 module may be repaired once, then it is a paperweight.

Long story short, I do not even have a core to have rebuilt.

I would pm Zach Grant he got his home made one perfected and offered to help anyone needing to build a reliable sentry replacement. If I recall he only had couple hundred in his setup and did lots of pressure testing to perfect the shifts.

With this day and age of plc controls surely some one could follow the printed circuit and make it so the same thing I know the one guy did it any one work at some type of manufacture plant I know we’re I work plc are on everything pretty simple one you understand them just have to have someone right the program down load it and wire it and away you go 

• Like 1

The obstacle to manufacturing and marketing these is liability. Low demand making it impractical to profit from the headache

It’s to bad IH used this sentry module and couldn’t design around it - and maybe they couldn’t.  Heck - look at how today’s tractors rely on electronics.  Is it possible these sentry equipped IH tractors were the first “electronic” tractors - an indication of things to come?

7 hours ago, leeave96 said:

It’s to bad IH used this sentry module and couldn’t design around it - and maybe they couldn’t.  Heck - look at how today’s tractors rely on electronics.  Is it possible these sentry equipped IH tractors were the first “electronic” tractors - an indication of things to come?

IH did eventually design around the Sentry. Its called the powershift. Magnums have the IH powershift in them. Guess what? No Sentry.

All those first generation of computers in tractors were problematic at times. I remember the computer that controlled the steering modes in the Case 4wd tractors were notoriously problematic. It would change steering modes for no apparent reason 

Zach has said he will post the parts list when he gets time. His previous posts stated he has put over 100 hours on it with no glitches. With the parts list and wiring diagrams and we can keep these great tractors going. Who knows; what he has made might actually be better than the original and easier to replace individual relays and other components.

• Like 1

All the "first Gen" electronics modules had issues.  My Father in Law used to carry a new "spark module" around in his 1976 Mercury Grand Marquis, it died that often!

Relays are basic, reliable tech.   

Even relays were unreliable early in their history. It used to take decades to perfect new technology, but that cycle has been getting shorter and shorter with every new generation.

If you stop to think about how complex the electronics in a modern tractor are (think the equivalent of 10,000 Sentry modules in a single tractor), you have to wonder how they even work at all. If they were as reliable as a Sentry module, the tractor would be dead every morning when you went out to start it, and would drop dead 20 minutes after you got it fixed.

13 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Even relays were unreliable early in their history. It used to take decades to perfect new technology, but that cycle has been getting shorter and shorter with every new generation.

If you stop to think about how complex the electronics in a modern tractor are (think the equivalent of 10,000 Sentry modules in a single tractor), you have to wonder how they even work at all. If they were as reliable as a Sentry module, the tractor would be dead every morning when you went out to start it, and would drop dead 20 minutes after you got it fixed.

so you think a sentry module wont last 37 years and 9600 hours w/out issues? When i get my 5088 back i will be interested in seeing what is in it. Its an 82 5088 that doesnt have tilt steering, not sure if that was because its early or if that was an option on them at the time and you had to order tilt special