Sign in to follow this  
drglinski

Carleton MI show

Went down the road a bit today for the annual tractor show in Carleton MI.  IH was represented well- I couldn’t help but wonder how much better the show could have been if you don’t have to be a member to show. 

FA3689F4-0EEE-4D86-83B2-B965ACB16E82.thumb.jpeg.b0cda7cad45b8b7aeeaa637df1774c48.jpeg

41F7C1BC-032D-4A2C-A3FE-4D7A4DBEE16A.thumb.jpeg.4f6cc27087edfd08f3ba51ef1ea2e24f.jpeg

8329FC29-CB28-4A39-8582-EA957CFFDA59.thumb.jpeg.a942a0cef0a49b317c38d3035349d1ce.jpeg

6BEF9FEC-D76D-4F2E-9330-C8FE0E8338E1.thumb.jpeg.73ce79aca583106a2a3210e8abd180eb.jpeg

9AEC2833-1F79-4025-9D68-7C04EFBACEE4.thumb.jpeg.4f6a88c65e0aca414f46a1eff96fabe2.jpeg

64BBE1CD-DA8D-4FB2-B475-E882707BCBB2.thumb.jpeg.440368ae4c36919829f668b72c1aca04.jpeg

7D8653B2-28A4-4249-83F4-4CF4DF847846.thumb.jpeg.b8eca60472a19c5d7ce745e17d3ba193.jpeg

EF350754-3ED0-42E4-9582-19FFD09D1C23.thumb.jpeg.1f8ec92f3724514d48e00a38fe07a164.jpeg

FF2FF0ED-0746-4480-B754-5E9597067DAF.thumb.jpeg.652ea8800e367cc50deca0722024dfe9.jpeg

1F958E79-99C9-452B-A577-A123D1DDD799.thumb.jpeg.5890b5ca668373bd6d090916605c2fc6.jpeg

683E2CCB-8A53-4F6C-B039-5DE2787B7FC1.thumb.jpeg.92dac8917b27b8d9179cc1667fca8915.jpeg

60308652-BD15-4D0B-8F84-7061A8FEC3A5.thumb.jpeg.9da8783d764910495836195520881091.jpeg

0C01C1B5-0664-41F9-88DC-2A5CAC5B524C.thumb.jpeg.0be2463a3605ee1596f4ae4a3f15dad5.jpeg

8239B735-7DF1-4B23-A9BA-57DC6317179F.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice pics and beautiful tractors. Is this just a local club’s show?

I drove my 560 to a show once not knowing it was a “member only “ show so I parked in a lot across the street and walked over to the show.  

It was fun watching everyone walk across the street to look at the 560. 

The club president was pissed.

lol   I loved it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 2+2 Guy said:

Nice pics and beautiful tractors. Is this just a local club’s show?

Yeah, southeast Michigan tractor collectors.   I could join, but then again I really don’t HAVE to...

ive seen the 1466 before, and it’s still just as good looking.  I never really got many photos of it before so I didn’t want to miss the opportunity again.   The SMTA-D has a turbo on it hence why the exhaust is on the “wrong” side of the hood. 

Not bad for a show that featured  Minni-Mo. It was hotter than he** there. The consignment auction is the only thing holding that show together, and that has dwindled over the last few years.

I honestly think that I’m notice a dropping of attendance to shows , I am wrong ,.but or what ever reason 

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

I drove my 560 to a show once not knowing it was a “member only “ show so I parked in a lot across the street and walked over to the show.  

It was fun watching everyone walk across the street to look at the 560. 

The club president was pissed.

lol   I loved it. 

This is classic. You would like to think he would have given you an honorary membership to attract people in the gate 

• Thanks 1

What you guys fail to realize is that these clubs rely on a few things to continue to operate. One is your membership and spectator dollars. These shows do not  happen for free. They also require lots of volunteers to put them on. Sorry if I sound cross, but I just spent the last two weekends, both days, working to get ready for our upcoming show. Got one more weekend and then the next is showtime. Most people have no clue at all how much work goes into a show. Get involved, help out, maybe make new friends, and quit crying about a $5 membership. Sorry rant over...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, W30 Lee said:

Some hacked together articulated thing made out of a cub cadet that I had 0 interest in so it didn’t make but this one photo.   

9 hours ago, Allredallday said:

Not bad for a show that featured  Minni-Mo. It was hotter than he** there. The consignment auction is the only thing holding that show together, and that has dwindled over the last few years.

The auction was still going at 2! Crazy.   I like the grounds but can’t help but wonder how much bigger it could be if it wasn’t just restricted to a ‘good ole boys’ club showing off what they had.  

Membership is more than $5.  I happily paid my entry fee, walked around and enjoyed the sights despite the temps.    

1 hour ago, 12_Guy said:

What you guys fail to realize is that these clubs rely on a few things to continue to operate. One is your membership and spectator dollars. These shows do not  happen for free. They also require lots of volunteers to put them on. Sorry if I sound cross, but I just spent the last two weekends, both days, working to get ready for our upcoming show. Got one more weekend and then the next is showtime. Most people have no clue at all how much work goes into a show. Get involved, help out, maybe make new friends, and quit crying about a $5 membership. Sorry rant over...

I completely understand sorry my joking doesn't come across as a joke .

Most of these clubs if something happens at the grounds that is covered by insurance. That's why your membership is essential to help go to cover the insurance. 

• Like 1

In Nebraska, and I'm sure it's different in other places, Once you charge an admission fee for an event it becomes a whole new ball game.

Now  when something goes wrong , the event director is liable.

I was at a large two day auction several years ago that took place in David City.  It was one of the coldest days of the year and people flew in from all over the world Literaly.

The main auctioneer was in a large building and tractors were pulling vehicles through the ring so bidders didn't have to stand out doors in the freezing temp.

It cost 25 bucks back then to just be on the property even if you didn't get a bidder number.

I was standing right next to a man , and I mean shoulder to shoulder when a tractor was going past pulling in the next item up for bid, the chain snapped and the hook flew right past my head and hit the guy next to me in the eye crushing in his eye socket. It knocked his eye completely out. 

He sued the auction company and tied the revenue of that auction up for years before they finally settled. 

Story was he won the judgement only because the auction company charged an admission fee. 

So, If you hold an event you better read the fine print and have some coverage to protect yourself.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

In Nebraska, and I'm sure it's different in other places, Once you charge an admission fee for an event it becomes a whole new ball game.

Now  when something goes wrong , the event director is liable.

I was at a large two day auction several years ago that took place in David City.  It was one of the coldest days of the year and people flew in from all over the world Literaly.

The main auctioneer was in a large building and tractors were pulling vehicles through the ring so bidders didn't have to stand out doors in the freezing temp.

It cost 25 bucks back then to just be on the property even if you didn't get a bidder number.

I was standing right next to a man , and I mean shoulder to shoulder when a tractor was going past pulling in the next item up for bid, the chain snapped and the hook flew right past my head and hit the guy next to me in the eye crushing in his eye socket. It knocked his eye completely out. 

He sued the auction company and tied the revenue of that auction up for years before they finally settled. 

Story was he won the judgement only because the auction company charged an admission fee. 

So, If you hold an event you better read the fine print and have some coverage to protect yourself.

This is true for a lot of things.  I mow the ditches along our road, and do some other maintenance items.  My neighbors have been trying to get me paid for it and I have been declining, doing the work for free as a Good Samaritan has some legal protection, but when you start to charge for it it’s a whole new deal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bitty said:

I completely understand sorry my joking doesn't come across as a joke .

Bitty, I was not directing my rant towards you. I know that you are aware of what goes into a show. My rant is directed at anyone who refuses to lend a hand and then bitches about how it is done. Like the old timers said, iffen you don’t like how the hay got put up, you shoulda been here when it went in the barn. 

• Like 1

I know first hand what it takes to put on a show. Trust me, it's not easy!  You gotta have dedicated members and volunteers to help put the show on. But, there are obstacles that are always pulling against what you are trying to do. Insurance coverage is a must in this "sue-happy" society. Where the organization comes up with the revenue to cover this cost make a difference in how the show is conducted. Whether it's passed on through gate admission, vendor fees, membership dues, exhibitor fees, or what have you, someone has to pay for it.  Every year I have to deal with a new issue. This year it's having enough hand washing stations around our show in various locations. The local Health Department wants us to help combat the spread of Hepatitis. More cost to us, but we don't want anyone getting sick. Next year it will be something else i'm sure. Some insurances require club membership, others don't. I will argue that it might seem ridiculous for me to attend a show 200 miles away with a special feature and have to pay a membership just to exhibit. I put that in the back of my mind and figure this in my expenses when I go. I would suggest all of us not complain about exhibitor fees, and other charges....unless they are grossly ridiculous. This is what will continue to have good local and national shows for all of us to attend. There is nothing free anymore.

And on that note, attendance and participation is a growing issue for all shows. We are an ageing society. Collectors and collections are dwindling. We need to do all we can to promote the collecting hobby and try to attract as many younger enthusiasts as we possibly can. Encourage, don't discourage! Make your venue as comfortable of a place as you can for people of all ages to display thier equipment.

• Like 4