mmod

826 Hydro

Will the Hydro unit on an 826 make a shrill squeal when it's starting to go out? Thanks in advance. mm

Well... I suppose it could make a squeal if it's going out.  Could also be an indication of quite a number of other problems.  I'd suggest being certain it is in fact the hydro making the noise, then go from there.  If it is the hydro, get out your pocketbook.   They're almost as much as another tractor.  Unless you have some pretty advanced hydraulics training or experience, this isn't something you can work on yourself. 

Could be the foot an inch valve if its out of adjustment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

X2. Or a broken spring in the foot and inch valve. I have had that before.

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

that is a possibilty or internal high pressure leak 

The foot and inch quite often will wear especially if used regularly as a clutch. Requires poppet and seat replacement. There are also check balls in capsules in drive control valve. Then there are charge and servo pressure regulators that can make noise. A squeal is usually a small leak at high pressure. Which indicates a control circuit.

Id contact Herrs Hydro in Kansas. The will walk you thru step by step on how to diagnose your hydro problem. On the phone! They also sell a kit made up of hoses, gauges and caps for testing purposes. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information gentlemen.  I have zero experience inside a hydro, but you've given me some direction for the next step!  mmod

I got 2 hydros.They will only make something that sounds like a squeal when I the use the foot pedal which at all costs I try to avoid. It works so much better to use only the hand control.

don't forget to check the oil level.....

and what it has in it

1 hour ago, nomorejohndeere said:

don't forget to check the oil level.....

and what it has in it

And as a note, you check the rear end oil with the engine running on a hydro. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-Mech said:

And as a note, you check the rear end oil with the engine running on a hydro. 

Correct. Instructions to check are on the dipstick, running for 5 minutes at 1200 or 1600 rpm ( I forget)

4 hours ago, bitty said:

Correct. Instructions to check are on the dipstick, running for 5 minutes at 1200 or 1600 rpm ( I forget)

Never seen it printed on a dipstick.  We have 3 hydro tractors and it isn't printed on any of them.  We actually only recently learned they are to be running when you check it. (And we've all been around hydro's for over 20 years and didn't know.)  Read it in the owners manual of all places....😲

I bought a hydro 100 that had been sitting for over 10 years. When I started working it the hydraulic filter stopped up from trash. It made a noise ( not quite shrill though ). Probably not your problem, but because it's so easy, change the hydraulic filter.

To check if the foot and inch valve or the drive control valve is the problem. Take the two small steel lines off that go into the transmission right next to the linkage for the s-r lever ( forward/ reverse lever ). Cap the connectors going into the transmission. This completely eliminates the foot and inch valve and the drive control valve. WARNING. doing this eliminates the clutch and neutral position. Do it in a wide open space where you can't run into anything. If the problem still exist it's inside the transmission. 

7 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Never seen it printed on a dipstick.  We have 3 hydro tractors and it isn't printed on any of them.  We actually only recently learned they are to be running when you check it. (And we've all been around hydro's for over 20 years and didn't know.)  Read it in the owners manual of all places....😲

I have two it is on both of them