Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

Poison Ivy home 🏠 reliefremedies

Recommended Posts

I’ve been cutting down dead ash trees 🌳 . All got to is see poison ivy and I get it. I just except ,it I forget to wear my long sleeve shirt and the chips from the saw must be contaminated. Anyway it a fact I’m going to get, it. 

My right arm got it cause the new chain saw has a hyper drive and it sprayed chips to the the trigger hand arm. 

 This is what I tried ,an it worked . 

Apple 🍏 cider vinegar plus kitchen paper towel. Wet towel with vinegar and wrap the area of the arm. 

Then go watch tv 📺

Id say itching stopped about twenty minutes later. 

I think the acid in the vinegar breaks down the poison ivy oil . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clorox if you like to live on the edge................That is one of the main reasons we keep a swimming pool here, poison ivy, nothing better than chlorine water to dry it up.  I get it bad.  We trimmed fence rows while I was in gradeschool, I got it so bad my eye's swelled shut............acouple days off:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calamine lotion is what my aunt always used, I’ve never gotten it, my friend sat in it unwittingly, ate his lunch and then climbed back in his dump truck with a vinyl seat and no a/c and proceed to sweat through his day. He was a mess, couldn’t sit couldn’t walk, couldn’t work for a couple days. And he works 80+ a week usually. Make you sick to look at it. 

Pretty sure he got some prescription stuff from the doctor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clorox. Stings like he!! But dries it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get that stuff bad...while I did till I moved west. Bleach worked faster but hurt like heck. One time I had it bad and a friend gave me these little white pills and that night I could feel the poison ivy drying up. Haven't been able to find it since... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend was cutting firewood with vines clinging to it bare-handed...then went to pee. I can't see bleaching  that thing!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, smfarms said:

Clorox. Stings like he!! But dries it up

Might work on flesh eating bacteria too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, New Englander said:

My friend was cutting firewood with vines clinging to it bare-handed...then went to pee. I can't see bleaching  that thing!

I went to Paul Smiths College, I can...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we milked I used milk barn bleach when you quit running around it would be ok.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got it on 100% of me once, includes some pretty uncomfortable places to have it...… Ever since then I don't get at all, I mean I can weed whack it in shorts!

This stuff really works, wife gets it really bad and Tecnu washes it all off and the rash never even appears.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tecnu-Extreme-Medicated-Poison-Ivy-Scrub-4oz-Each/398637234?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=348&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9006588&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838607&wl11=online&wl12=398637234&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI47i0vLK84wIVDSsMCh2TbA9PEAQYAyABEgIRRvD_BwE

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn’t seem to bother me, I changed a gas tank on a Jeep once laying in it apparently. Couldn’t get it back in by myself so had an employee come to help me and he freaked out about it, so I put down a tarp and covered that with lots of cardboard before he would help me and the next day he was covered. I still don’t know what it looks like. Wild parsnip on the other had is nasty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the deal with it anyway sometimes I know I get in it and nothing happens then sometimes I don’t even know it and have to go to doctor is it worse at different times of year or what’s the deal .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eat it every spring & build up your tolerance.

Couldn’t believe my eyes in high school but old time farmer did it every spring.  And he lived to 99 & 11 mo.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Eat it every spring & build up your tolerance.

Couldn’t believe my eyes in high school but old time farmer did it every spring.  And he lived to 99 & 11 mo.

I've heard that too, but I don't think I will try it. PVC primer works pretty well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just stay away from it. I’ve had it so bad a few times that I ended up with a steroid shot to get rid of it. If I know I have been in contact with it I take a hot soapy shower. Use dish detergent. It cuts grease on dishes and the poison ivy oil on your skin. Hot water and scrubbing shortly after contact will clean off the oils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ky966boy said:

What’s the deal with it anyway sometimes I know I get in it and nothing happens then sometimes I don’t even know it and have to go to doctor is it worse at different times of year or what’s the deal .

I never had a problem with it I could pull it down with my bare hands until a couple weeks ago I got into some trimming a fence row, someone told me my immune system could have been down and that's why it bothered me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had it and I can't imagine I've never been exposed. My son is the same way. My wife and daughter just have to look at it to get it. I may be immune but I won't test that theory intentionally!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ky966boy said:

What’s the deal with it anyway sometimes I know I get in it and nothing happens then sometimes I don’t even know it and have to go to doctor is it worse at different times of year or what’s the deal .

Did you burn it and and ? The smoke worse 

i got a brush pile ,I inherited with the place, little by little cutting burning smalls. 

Boy I keep the fire ring fire 🔥 hot and say downwind . 

I just can’t forget the long sleeves shirts. I got to 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to get it bad, eyes swollen shut, breathed it and my throat would swell.

But after getting it regular for years I built up a tolerance so it doesn't do much any more.

Sure wish some of my allergies would do the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mader656 said:

I get that stuff bad...while I did till I moved west. Bleach worked faster but hurt like heck. One time I had it bad and a friend gave me these little white pills and that night I could feel the poison ivy drying up. Haven't been able to find it since... 

steroid pills 

dr prescribed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bother gets its bad sometimes and he always wipes down with gasoline. Says it drys it up good. Not so sure that I would use gas LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't react to poison ivy but line men carry brake and parts cleaner or electrical contact cleaner in their trucks, they say it gone in a few hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...