Paul 300 U

Power steering questions for 300 utility

Hello, I'm back again, 

Trying  to be proactive and avoid what I read is the biggest problem with this model of tractor, power steering. Sounds like broken power steering is virtually unfixable with virtually no available parts, used or new.

How is this system lubricated?  I see some old threads that talk about dry gearboxes and loose mounting bolts.

1. How and where do I lube the power steering?

2. What grease or oil is required?

3. What if anything else needs to be tightened down or requires maintenance?

It sounds as though lack of maintenance is as big a culprit as wear. 

All help, tips. thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.  If pics are needed tell me what to photograph and I will do my best. 

Thank you, Paul 

OK, so feedback is a bit light on this topic. Might be helpful if  illustrate what's worrying me with pictures.

My primary concern with fluid needs for my power steering begins with this shaft that comes out of the power steering pump. It appears to be leaking. 

1st pic is an overview of the area.

2nd pic is the path the leaking fluid is following. It appears to be leaking from the joint then running backwards along the shaft then dripping into the starter.   

3rd pic is close up of the shaft including what appears to be splines of some sort. Perhaps an indicator that there is some loosening somewhere. 

4th pic is the some leakage at the bottom of what i assume is the steering pump on the other side of the tractor. 

5 th pic is of a small flip top on the starter where i believe i am to be inserting some light oil occasionally but wasn't sure. 

Hope this helps better understand, my questions in my original post.

Thanks Paul

20190717_130718.jpg

20190717_130636.jpg

20190717_123246.jpg

20190717_122655.jpg

20190717_130039.jpg

The unit you calling a pump is not the pump some books call it the steering gear some the steering sector, the pump is up by the timing gears . The leaking is caused by most likely a combination of three things worn output shaft bushings and seals , worn seals on the p,s, cylinder output shaft,and leakage on the seals of the control valve, The valve or cylinder leaking would overfill the gearbox part causing the output shaft seals to leak.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:11 PM, R190 said:

The unit you calling a pump is not the pump some books call it the steering gear some the steering sector, the pump is up by the timing gears . The leaking is caused by most likely a combination of three things worn output shaft bushings and seals , worn seals on the p,s, cylinder output shaft,and leakage on the seals of the control valve, The valve or cylinder leaking would overfill the gearbox part causing the output shaft seals to leak.

R190, thank you for your reply. 

Are the shaft bushings and worn out seals items major repairs in terms of parts availability, difficulty level and cost?  I know these items depend on skill level etc.  but I'm just asking in general. Thanks! Paul

Paul, how many hours a year do you put on this tractor? 

As I recall, all of the seals were commonly available seals, matched up by dimension. You can make all the gaskets cheap. I resealed one, including the actual steering piston on the other side of that unit. The worst part is getting it off there. The one I did had good internals, just leaked like a sieve. Made all new gaskets, installed new seals, resealed the steering piston with seals from a hyd shop. No more leaks.

21 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Paul, how many hours a year do you put on this tractor? 

Jmech. I'd say about 50 hours with a mower and about 100  hours or so with a snow plow. 

17 hours ago, RBootsMI said:

As I recall, all of the seals were commonly available seals, matched up by dimension. You can make all the gaskets cheap. I resealed one, including the actual steering piston on the other side of that unit. The worst part is getting it off there. The one I did had good internals, just leaked like a sieve. Made all new gaskets, installed new seals, resealed the steering piston with seals from a hyd shop. No more leaks.

RBoots. Sounds good. What's the challenge in getting it off? Does it require something like a gear puller?

Thanks. Paul