86 series PTO experts

New Englander

786 PTO engages but won't latch. Can't find my manual; suspect a pressure issue but don't know.

Help! As soon as someone tells me how I'll also find the manual! ?

Does not slip, just takes many tries for the handle to stay latched. Linkage is adjusted for full movement of valve.

It could be your suction tube has come loose, if it sucks any air it will shut off

my 1086 would do that whenever I went downhill it would shut off the PTO, when I pulled the PTO out the suction tube was very loose. 

Make sure the oil level is full or even 5 gallons over the full line

check for dirt under the engagement rod  if its the later style its pushed down instead of raised to engage

2 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

check for dirt under the engagement rod  if its the later style its pushed down instead of raised to engage

What was the break between old a new style in the 86 series? Considering that the 786 was made only in 80 and 81, would that make them all later style. Or was the break made during the 786 production?

3 hours ago, ksfarmdude said:

It's a push-down. It is going all the way down as far as I can tell.

Can I pull the valve out and check for dirt?

They do require back pressure to lock in.  Pressure leaks can come from any of the 3 brake pistons, the 2 nylon O rings not likely, clutch pack wore down to point the piston over extends and leaks.  You can sometime have trash in the valve or blocking the pick up tube.  Their is correct depth setting for the valve back into housing using pressure gauge.  The 2 pressure test ports one is the brake side the other is your engaged side.  The brake always has pressure and both sides are equal pressure running. 

I have a 1586 that did that once baling hay. I had to use a tarp strap to keep it engaged. Got it home that night, pulled the valve to find the three steel balls that hold it engaged were rusty/dirty. Replaced them and cleaned it up and never had a problem again.

3 hours ago, 1958560 said:

I have a 1586 that did that once baling hay. I had to use a tarp strap to keep it engaged. Got it home that night, pulled the valve to find the three steel balls that hold it engaged were rusty/dirty. Replaced them and cleaned it up and never had a problem again.

We have a winner! 195856 hit it squarely on the head! Thanks!

I finally or rather my wife found my manual.I don't what I'd do without her. Whatever I lose she can find. Anyway, pressure was slightly low but adjusting it up was no help. Detent balls in valve were all rusty and cleaning them up fixed the problem. I wish I thought to measure one but I should be able to find the part number.

Archived