Whistling sound from a Farmall H

1951 Farmall H

Hello. My 51 Farmall H has a high pitched squeal when the motor is warm. When you accelerate the noise stops (as long as the throttle is moving). The carburetor, manifold, everything was moved when the tractor was painted. I checked the carburetor gasket, manifold, everything I could think of and could not nail down a leak. Any ideas on what could be causing the air like sound? Thanks for any suggestions. 

I don't think there's anything else it could be other than an intake leak.

My Super M has a leak around the bottom of the 1-2 intake port that I haven't gotten to yet and it does the same as you describe with the high pitched squealing when warm. 

The way I've always heard to find an intake leak is to spray a little starting fluid around all the mating surfaces until you find a spot that changes how the engine runs. 

2 hours ago, stoney1918 said:

The way I've always heard to find an intake leak is to spray a little starting fluid around all the mating surfaces until you find a spot that changes how the engine runs. 

I don't suggest starting fluid.  Good way to find an ignition "leak" too.  Something a little less volatile than ether.....like brake cleaner or carb and choke cleaner is a better idea.  But even those will flash if they find an ignition source.  Ask me how I know.   Be careful.....Doesn't take much. 

WD40 or penetrating oil works too, and they make easily visible smoke. Or a propane torch, no mess to clean up and you can direct the stream better.

Do a vacuum gage test on the intake side and see what is is. Normal is 18 to 22 .  Should have a 1/8 pipe plug on the intake to tap the gage into. If not , I had to drill and tap one into the Farmall Super C ,cause it had a after market manifold. 

Tractor ? get me scratching my head , about very little squeaky thing, important to investigate, don’t get me wrong. Especially if your working it hard. There’s all kinds of noises. 

I was working on the H today and I think that the noise is coming from the manifold. I found a small crack in the manifold. Just a little hard to pinpoint the noise. If it’s the manifold what would be the best fix? 

46 minutes ago, 1951 Farmall H said:

I was working on the H today and I think that the noise is coming from the manifold. I found a small crack in the manifold. Just a little hard to pinpoint the noise. If it’s the manifold what would be the best fix? 

Replace it.

• 4 weeks later...