Sign in to follow this  
drglinski

Ohio plow days?

Just wondering if anyone had any news of any upcoming plow days in northern Ohio yet this year.  Typically around the end of this month/early August there is one in Alvordton, and Van Wert in mid August.   I know the springtime rain has made this year off whack and I didn’t know if it would impact any potential events.    

hopefully some of that prevent plant ground got a cover crop planted on it and guys will want it plowed under this fall. Last years fall weather pretty much pushed all of the plow days back into the same weekend. I'd like to do more than 1 this year.

• Like 1

I found one listed for August 10 in Avlordton.   I’m hoping to make that one.  

9 hours ago, drglinski said:

I found one listed for August 10 in Avlordton.   I’m hoping to make that one.  

9 hours ago, drglinski said:

If you would please P.M. the information about it as I would like to go also and Hopefully see you and 2+2 Guy again.

Hmm,  shortage of ground or just too many people showing up that do not know how to set a plow to at least go in the ground ? I didn't make it last year but the previous year there were a lot of people who were just driving and the plow not going in the ground, or only going in a few inches. I got tired of getting off and trying to adjust for the guy ahead of me, finally got behind a JD that was doing a good job and just followed him the rest of the time. I could see a landowner being frustrated with having to rework the ground after that. Maybe have one side of the field for the dirt scratchers and rework it like they do at HCOP, and the rest of the field for only those who have shown the ability to do a good job of plowing would make landowners more inclined to host plowdays.

1 hour ago, robgIN said:

Hmm,  shortage of ground or just too many people showing up that do not know how to set a plow to at least go in the ground ? I didn't make it last year but the previous year there were a lot of people who were just driving and the plow not going in the ground, or only going in a few inches. I got tired of getting off and trying to adjust for the guy ahead of me, finally got behind a JD that was doing a good job and just followed him the rest of the time. I could see a landowner being frustrated with having to rework the ground after that. Maybe have one side of the field for the dirt scratchers and rework it like they do at HCOP, and the rest of the field for only those who have shown the ability to do a good job of plowing would make landowners more inclined to host plowdays.

There are two sides to this equation, like most things.  I've gotten stuck behind someone that doesn't fully understand how to set up a plow or just pulled it out of a fence row, and while that can be frustrating, I've only plowed like 10 times at most in my life, all but once or twice it has been at events.  While I'm tempted to throttle past them I remember that I'm by no means a master and am still learning it too, and am grateful for people that have let me borrow their tractors and have worked with me so I can learn the correct way.  

I think having a dedicated area for setting up your plow/learning how to do it is a good idea.  I went to one that had a 'test plot' and that helped- the last thing I like doing is holding up someone that knows what they are doing.  I was on a Farmall C last year plowing it in granny being followed by a SMTA-D that had little to no problem and I felt like I was just in the way.  I like that the hosts don't mandate furrow depth;  but that might not be a bad idea either- it's tough when you've got 20 HP and one bottom following a 8 bottom plow that's turning over dirt trying to find china.  Only once have I seen an operator of a larger HP tractor ask a lower HP tractor if he was plowing too deep for them.  That took class and said a lot about the person on said tractor. 

If it irritates you so much, stay home. Or show up and watch- mentor those that don't know how to do it.  Most plow day hosts don't have a problem with ride ons.  

• Like 1

No plowing expert but why couldn`t a guy simply follow behind a tractor having trouble or scratching and re-plow the shallow furrows and all is well?

1 hour ago, MTO said:

No plowing expert but why couldn`t a guy simply follow behind a tractor having trouble or scratching and re-plow the shallow furrows and all is well?

That is usually what I do when behind someone having issues

14 hours ago, drglinski said:

If it irritates you so much, stay home. Or show up and watch- mentor those that don't know how to do it.  Most plow day hosts don't have a problem with ride ons.  

I think you mistook my tone, I am just saying that we who show up at a plow day need to be more conscientious about how we leave the dirt in someones else's field. I enjoy seeing lots of different makes of tractors in the same field and seeing guys with their kids riding like we used to when we were little kids. But I know of a couple people who don't have plow days anymore because of the condition the fields were in afterwards. Working freshly plowed ground is no fun. And yes it is usually someone with a fencerow plow that is just worn out , but not always.

2 hours ago, MTO said:

Biggest problem I have when following guys like that is I have a little genius trip plow.  I would have to keep raising and lowering the height adjustment lever every 10 feet down the field. Not very fun.

With a hydraulic plow its easier to clean up after a guy.  

Chris