Jump to content
BurroBabe

How to find trucking? Weight of Loader?

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, stronger800 said:

That's a tiny tractor (in tractor terms) and could easily be pulled behind any decent pickup. Diesel, yes would be ideal, but modern half ton trucks can handle 10k loads (not every day.....but for one shot.....no problem) and that IH and a small trailer would be right in that area.  I think I'd offer any guy you can find locally with a pickup and small trailer, about $500 to go grab that thing, at their leisure. 6hr round trip. If I was closer and this was a few weeks ago when it was raining every other day.....I'd do it for that.  Doubt you'll find anybody to drive anywhere for under $500.  If you do, I'd be nervous 

Yeah, right about now I'm really regretting selling my Dodge Ram diesel truck, and being fleeced at that.  For $800 I could buy a twin axle trailer right in my town and get it myself! (Well, once I could bend my knee to clutch anyway 😛)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Just curious but how much did dealer want to deliver? Is it enough more that its worth worrying about a shady operator disappearing with your tractor? Or crashing and ruining tractor? Dealers rate may include insurance of some kind while on road? Im not saying dont check other options, just wondering if you will save enough to be worth the hassle.

Dealer wanted $800; I was blindsided.

And it's not that I'm just trying to get a deal... my life is full of hassle to save money.  This purchase was a BIG stretch for me...I hope not a mistake. I am really emptying my bank account and the "dream money" in my dresser drawer to pay for it.  There just isn't enough left for the transport. I might have to pay Messicks and let it sit there awhile before getting it home.  And the leaking roof might not get fixed either. 😣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

did other contact fall thru?

$2 m is not unreasonable but when dedicated load 2x , it is cost and time for dealer employee.

I have not kept an interstate/150 m + truck for 10 years,and for pu and cheap trailer it is still $1.50+ m + my time

I am interested in 3 out of state collectibles, with shipping still not what you spent because you need a tractor to work/pay

one would be a 18 hour trip but cant get details beyond 2 photos. 

found another driver I used will send contact pm

you can put a free request on uship  will give you bids range on pay if you accept and they can do the ins/background

as to weight I would add 3K to tractor ....then + 2k if driver is concerned about GVW

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drive it?  It looks like a good solid tractor. Make sure tires are inflated and front bearings are good. 

Have friend and you drive your car to dealer. You drive tractor home. They follow in car. 

18 MPH for 183 miles is about 10 hour drive.  Would not be impossible to drive there in car and drive tractor home in one day. 

Might burn 3 gallon an hour....30 gallons diesel. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BurroBabe said:

Dealer wanted $800; I was blindsided.

And it's not that I'm just trying to get a deal... my life is full of hassle to save money.  This purchase was a BIG stretch for me...I hope not a mistake. I am really emptying my bank account and the "dream money" in my dresser drawer to pay for it.  There just isn't enough left for the transport. I might have to pay Messicks and let it sit there awhile before getting it home.  And the leaking roof might not get fixed either. 😣

Yes ,well being blindsided is tough.I bought lots of stuff,had it trucked a long way.It is something you always have to figure in.I know 20/20 hindsight is easy,maybe in negotiation you could have thrown some kind of trucking in there but too late now.But one way to look at your purchase ,which I always did is overall value.If you feel that that you could not get a better deal around area close to you then going farther you saved on the tractor and have to pay hauling so it evens out. I live in  area with Old Order Mennonites,at auctions or local sellers they are willing to pay far more then I am because they have pay someone to take them to look at it,then pay someone to haul it home.So don't despair,it will even out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 495man said:

Drive it?  It looks like a good solid tractor. Make sure tires are inflated and front bearings are good. 

Have friend and you drive your car to dealer. You drive tractor home. They follow in car. 

18 MPH for 183 miles is about 10 hour drive.  Would not be impossible to drive there in car and drive tractor home in one day. 

Might burn 3 gallon an hour....30 gallons diesel. 

Drive it ,not a bad idea.I would do it.I knew a guy drove a tractor well over 300 miles after he bought it .Wife followed went ahead at times to get best route,stayed in hotel one night finished next day.He and his wife liked it ,kinda adventure. Especially now for you be great its summer lots of daylight,he did his in fall.I pulled wagons with pick up,20 miles a hour at times through the Appalachian mountains when I moved 190 miles one way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind her knee is in a brace and she's not supposed to be driving a tractor, let alone a cramped utility tractor of unknown provenance for 10 hours. Even if she could drive the tractor, what if it dies on the side of the road? Now you're hiring an emergency heavy haul rollback which is going to cost a whole lot more than $800.

If you can find anyone willing to do it for anything close to $2 per loaded mile, and they seem legit, you better hire them and kiss their feet because they're not making any money off you. You can do it for less if you can get on a load with something else, and the hauler is running loaded both ways, but I don't mind paying $3 or so a loaded mile for a dedicated run of 200 miles or less.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have gotten stuff here from Iowa and Minnesota cheaper than some local guys have had tractors hauled up from Lancaster.  When they can fill up a trailer to the hilt and not be running empty anywhere the costs come way down.  

Who from Williamsport?  I know of some guys here who could do it, but doubt it would be any cheaper. They would have the same issue, down light, loaded to there, and back light.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if a pickup truck got 10 mpg average hauling a trailer 400 miles round trip that would be $140.00 @ 3.50 gallon for diesel fuel alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TomH said:

Even if a pickup truck got 10 mpg average hauling a trailer 400 miles round trip that would be $140.00 @ 3.50 gallon for diesel fuel alone.

My gas truck would average 8-9 on a trip like that. It's hard to put groceries on the table depending what they charge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 495man said:

Drive it?  It looks like a good solid tractor. Make sure tires are inflated and front bearings are good. 

Have friend and you drive your car to dealer. You drive tractor home. They follow in car. 

18 MPH for 183 miles is about 10 hour drive.  Would not be impossible to drive there in car and drive tractor home in one day. 

Might burn 3 gallon an hour....30 gallons diesel. 

 

1 hour ago, Jacka said:

Drive it ,not a bad idea.I would do it.I knew a guy drove a tractor well over 300 miles after he bought it .Wife followed went ahead at times to get best route,stayed in hotel one night finished next day.He and his wife liked it ,kinda adventure. Especially now for you be great its summer lots of daylight,he did his in fall.I pulled wagons with pick up,20 miles a hour at times through the Appalachian mountains when I moved 190 miles one way

 Thank you both , that was exactly what I wanted to do. I love adventures and really thought that would be a lot of fun . unfortunately, I can't even find a good enough friend to give me a ride to the grocery store 12 miles away let alone spend the day driving down and back with me . Too bad I don't have a devoted wife like that guy. 

 

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Keep in mind her knee is in a brace and she's not supposed to be driving a tractor, let alone a cramped utility tractor of unknown provenance for 10 hours. Even if she could drive the tractor, what if it dies on the side of the road? Now you're hiring an emergency heavy haul rollback which is going to cost a whole lot more than $800.

If you can find anyone willing to do it for anything close to $2 per loaded mile, and they seem legit, you better hire them and kiss their feet because they're not making any money off you. You can do it for less if you can get on a load with something else, and the hauler is running loaded both ways, but I don't mind paying $3 or so a loaded mile for a dedicated run of 200 miles or less.

 I know you're trying to be helpful Matt , but no thanks to you for throwing a wet towel on it . Anyway, they didn't say I couldn't drive a tractor they said I couldn't drive a car . And my stiff leg doesn't fit in my Prius but that 574 is plenty roomy enough for me and I might be able to manage the clutch standing up . And once on the highway I wouldn't need to shift much .  Maybe I could get Messicks to give me a 15 day warranty for insurance on a breakdown? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bitty said:

My gas truck would average 8-9 on a trip like that. It's hard to put groceries on the table depending what they charge

 My Dodge diesel averaged 20 miles per gallon even pulling a load . It would easily get that on the way down and maybe 15 on the way back . And then I'd own a trailer to take my tractor in for service . but yeah , I sold it because I didn't use it enough to make the cost of insurance, registration, maintenance and repairs worth the occasional use . so I don't regret having to pay someone else to do it if necessary . I just really would enjoy the adventure though . Maybe if I just wait until I can take the brace off … 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmmm. I hadn't thought of driving.  I've driven them 30-50 miles before. 4x that.... Wouldn't be a stretch. I know guys who have driven tractors farther. You would need a friend, and I'd suggest a few tools, and a spare front tire. (Any 6 bolt implement rim/skinny tire wil fit) (like off of a hay wagon....not off of a pickup truck) , but......I mayyyyyyy be onto something better.   Have Tripple A?  AAA.  I don't know for sure if this is true these days, but you could find out, I do know that a local guy here used AAA to get an auction purchase tractor home once. He drove it to side of the road, called AAA, sent his buddy home with his truck.   Turns out he was "out on a custom harvesting job" and his "vehicle"(the tractor) died.   I think he tipped the driver $100.    I have a niece that has lost her car keys, Twice, (modern, pricey cars) and AAA comes and hauls her home and replaces the key.  I think last time they were able to make and program a key on sight, $300 value she said.  

Maybe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Messicks would offer you some sort of reduced rate deal on hauling, in the event that you tried to drive it and it broke down on you.  Which is pretty unlikely....I mean....your talking under 10 hours of use, on a Tactor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See if Messicks would keep in mind the possibility of hauling it in the near future as a back haul when picking up a trade or service work up this direction? 

Hoobers always tries to get a trip worth of work for the truck and trailer when possible saving some moolah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Hmmmmm. I hadn't thought of driving.  I've driven them 30-50 miles before. 4x that.... Wouldn't be a stretch. I know guys who have driven tractors farther. You would need a friend, and I'd suggest a few tools, and a spare front tire. (Any 6 bolt implement rim/skinny tire wil fit) (like off of a hay wagon....not off of a pickup truck) , but......I mayyyyyyy be onto something better.   Have Tripple A?  AAA.  I don't know for sure if this is true these days, but you could find out, I do know that a local guy here used AAA to get an auction purchase tractor home once. He drove it to side of the road, called AAA, sent his buddy home with his truck.   Turns out he was "out on a custom harvesting job" and his "vehicle"(the tractor) died.   I think he tipped the driver $100.    I have a niece that has lost her car keys, Twice, (modern, pricey cars) and AAA comes and hauls her home and replaces the key.  I think last time they were able to make and program a key on sight, $300 value she said.  

Maybe? 

Actually, I was wondering the same thing last night after reading these. I don't have AAA (expensive) but I have roadside assistance with my Auto policy.  I was thinking of calling them and asking if it would cover me when driving another vehicle. It covers taking the vehicle to the nearest service facility or dealership that can fix the vehicle.  Worth a try. And I could take a front wheel off my 350 to take along. they're both practically new. (And I'll tell my friend who lost her car keys and had to pay to have the car towed to the dealer and the key and cylinders replaced. that was expensive!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May work. The tractor is small and would fit on any standard Rollback  service vehicle, same as if you were driving a 4x4 pickup and it needed to be hauled in. Doesn't hurt to ask your auto insurance people.  Hopefully there isn't an IH dealer in the area that they would want to take it too instead of bringing it home. I doubt they would look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well if I was your neighbour I would charge you $360 (Canadian) to go and pick up that tractor with my pick up truck and my 14,000 pound trailer.... but you would have to be my good neighbor!  And not in a hurry!  LOL 

  But if you wanted to go in style I would take my big truck and trailer, that would cost you $780 (Canadian), but that would be overkill! 

 Driving that tractor for 10 hours… you would have to be tougher than me for sure! 

 Looks like a decent tractor by the way! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used fr8star to haul 3 tractors for me.  As long as you can be somewhat flexible on day to pick up and deliver they worked well.  After you get the broad range of prices to haul, click for a specific quote, and you will have 5 or 6 solid bids to haul your tractor in a day.  You can then choose which one you want.  In terms of weight and size I have found them to be much more particular on actual dimension and not so much on weight.  Also they are insured for the cargo.  Always a big plus!   Good luck!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  was thinking of this just  yesterday too when I seen a trailer full of rough/flat tire type H's and M's behind a truck with out of state plates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2019 at 2:38 PM, Long Farms said:

Yesterdays tractor (YTmag) has a haul schedule you can post a what to where ad. Give it a week or so to get a few bids and go. Had an oliver 1755 shipped from IN to TX for $400 by posting on haul schedule. 

Sorry for keeping you all in suspense, I thought I had posted results.  Long Farms wins the gold star for recommending to post in YT's hauling board.  I got a few calls, including one fella from Williamsport who offered to do some shiftting and dropping off another to add it to a load for $500 but I hadn't even gotten the tractor paid for and couldn't drive to the bank yet so I told him to call back when he had room on another load and waited for more bids.  I had posted on Fr8Star and got NO bids. Then a fellow from North Carolina said he was driving up to Cuba, NY to (North of me)deliver an engine he and could hitch his trailer up if I wanted him to haul the tractor. He was leaving the next morning and again, it wasn't paid for yet but when he asked for only $275 for the haul I told him I would see about arranging payment somehow but I couldn't be sure until I spoke to the dealer, and it was after 5PM. This fellow really knew his tractors and I gave him measurements with the bucket and told him about the water in the tires. The guy was so sweet, said he would take the trailer along anyway if I thought I could arrange it, even though he was leaving early. I scrambled the next day, managed to squeeze my leg with brace into the car and got to the bank and got it done.  Then I went home to get ready for his projected arrival time.  When he was two hours past due, I called Messick's to check about when he had picked up.  He had been running on time and I was concerned.When he called me from the road a short while later, he was wondering how far he still was from me.  Poor guy,  he hadn't liked the traffic on the interstate and he had jumped off and followed his GPS.  That is a big mistake around here, crossing the Endless Mountains in NE PA the roads wind around like drunken sailors. At least I knew where he was and could assure him that he was only 30-40 min away. I had time to get my neighbor up here to help jockey tractors (My 350 was still in the barn where the new one was going) and a very tired trucker pulled in right after my friend.

So, the bad news is, with the drama of the late delivery, I didn't get a chance to get any pictures of the arrival. And with how slow I'm healing from the surgery, I've got another two weeks in the brace so I don't think I'll even be able to pull "Thomas" out of the barn for his bath and photo shoot (especially as those rear wheels barely clear the doorway!) But when I am able to, I promise to post some pics.

The good news is that my new baby is safe and snug in the barn and, having gained enough confidence with the help of all you wonderful guys, I was able to hold out for my asking price for my 350 Utility. Bessie only spent barely a week outside before another sweet man decided she was exactly what he wanted for his few acres and he promised to give her the kind of care she has been used to, and never be left outside. So, in the meanwhile, I can share a picture of "Bessie" with her new fella and on her way to her new home.

PHOTO_20190726_190340.jpg

PHOTO_20190726_190332.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear that everything worked out good for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay!  :)  I've been wondering if you got it home!  

 

Hope you heal quickly, and get us some pictures of your new tractor when you get out and about. 

 

Glad to see "Bessie" got a good home too!  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...