How to find trucking? Weight of Loader?

Well, now that I've found my dream tractor, an IH 574 with a 2050 loader, I need to find a reasonably priced hauler to get it home! The tractor is in Elizabethtown, PA and I'm in the Southern Tier of NY (6 mi from the PA border).  It only has to travel 183 miles but the dealer's price to deliver I thought was way high.  I had checked online for quotes beforehand on FR8STAR (not firm quotes) and got a range much lower.  I never did this before so I wondered if anyone had any recommendations?tmp-cam--1870318656.jpg.ffa5fd1b445122d1efc835ed231c75b3.jpg

And when I'm getting quotes, they want to know the weight of the load.  I can look all that up on the tractor on TractorData.com but can't find any specs on loaders.  Anyone that can give me a ball park  # on the 2050 with manure bucket?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by BurroBabe
added question

Yesterdays tractor (YTmag) has a haul schedule you can post a what to where ad. Give it a week or so to get a few bids and go. Had an oliver 1755 shipped from IN to TX for $400 by posting on haul schedule. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Don't have any neighbors you could pay?  That isn't that far.  

lol, Good neighbors are getting scarce. And nobody I know has a flatbed big enough. I'm looking for local truckers, but so far the prices are so high that I could buy a used flatbed and borrow a friend;s truck and do it myself for about the same price!

You're in Central PA, want to be my neighbor? 😜

• Haha 1

I would like to think Messicks would have thrown in a deal including trucking there 

I'd be really surprised if that loader and mounting brackets weighs over 1200# but figure 1500# to be safe.

I hauled Dad's '51 M and Stanhoist loader and both buckets, 40" manure bucket and 80 inch materials bucket about that same distance. Bet the two tractors are within 1000# too! A day's rental on a 12,500# cap. 18 ft Corn Pro bumper hook trailer was $50,  pulled it with my F250 with 7.3PSD,  I'd bought a heavy reciever hitch,  beefy solid drawer and a $100 Prodigy brake controller before renting the trailer but I used them a couple times since..  Took three hours to drive down to the tractor in pea soup fog so thick you could drive under an overpass and not actually see the ends of the overpass! 4 hours coming home,  made a couple stops to check chains, eat lunch.  Supposedly according to sales brochure my truck is rated to tow 16,000# gross because I ordered a 5 sod manual trans and 3.55 gears. Either an auto trans OR 4.10 gears raised it to 18,000, or BOTH raised it to 20,000#.  The scale we axled out the load on showed 19,280# before SON & I got in, so 19,700# gross. Guess I should have left the tool box and extra loader bucket at the farm.  Truck handled to load great.

I wouldn't be afraid to haul it yourself.

• Like 1

My info says that a 2050 loader is 1,380# and the 2050A loader is 1,400#.  That may not include the mounting kit to fasten it to the tractor...but those numbers get you close.

• Like 1

about 10 years back had one from NJ that has side contracts for NYC winter plowing  in off season runs trucks  to pay bills  with  hauling

loaded distance was about the same as yours for <$ 2 m   about 600 rt but he scheduled others on the run

IIRC which tractor from east  could look him up

6 hours ago, BurroBabe said:

You're in Central PA, want to be my neighbor? 😜

Unfortunately for you, when I need something hauled I just make a call, don't own a trailer, probably never will.  A lot easier for me to pay one of the locals than to do it myself, and most of the ones I need hauled are too heavy for a pickup anyhow.................guy here has a landoll, we use him a bunch.

3 hours ago, Jacka said:

If it has fluid in tires and weights add that to tractor weight too.

Thanks, but how do I figure how much weight that adds?  It has both.

8 hours ago, Long Farms said:

Yesterdays tractor (YTmag) has a haul schedule you can post a what to where ad. Give it a week or so to get a few bids and go. Had an oliver 1755 shipped from IN to TX for $400 by posting on haul schedule. 

I posted on YT and within hours had two texts. One was a good price and he said he would be down there end of this week I haven't even gotten the full payment to Messick's yet but maybe I could arrange it tomorrow.

But I have a concern.  Since I could post on YT without even signing up for an account and read all the ads,  how do I know this person is legit?  I responded saying I was interested and asked for his name but only received the reply "I'll confirm that I'll be up there tomorrow".  Now, I don't want to be suspicious but I've been burned many times before. How can I check out someone and make sure that they aren't just going to pick up a tractor I paid for and disappear with it?  Hey guys,  I grew up in Brooklyn,  in Mafia territory.

3 hours ago, mmi said:

about 10 years back had one from NJ that has side contracts for NYC winter plowing  in off season runs trucks  to pay bills  with  hauling

loaded distance was about the same as yours for <$ 2 m   about 600 rt but he scheduled others on the run

IIRC which tractor from east  could look him up

I don't understand IIRC. Don't find any company with those initials. Did you mean you would look him up?

6 minutes ago, BurroBabe said:

I don't understand IIRC. Don't find any company with those initials. Did you mean you would look him up?

IIRC if I remember correctly

8 minutes ago, BurroBabe said:

yes if I recall which tractor and year will hunt that file out  will have to go thru photo files

• Like 1

That's a tiny tractor (in tractor terms) and could easily be pulled behind any decent pickup. Diesel, yes would be ideal, but modern half ton trucks can handle 10k loads (not every day.....but for one shot.....no problem) and that IH and a small trailer would be right in that area.  I think I'd offer any guy you can find locally with a pickup and small trailer, about $500 to go grab that thing, at their leisure. 6hr round trip. If I was closer and this was a few weeks ago when it was raining every other day.....I'd do it for that.  Doubt you'll find anybody to drive anywhere for under $500.  If you do, I'd be nervous 

• Like 1

will pm with details

that was a search and  1/2  it is still 80*  here ,had to put a fan in computer room,load and go thru photo files

then thru invoice paper folders,find details...no invoice....lawyers must still have it....?

......? email....!........MS crashed so new isp keeps them in house and only 2 years.......?....hillarys email.......... find and load those into computer.....?? only 1 year........?trash......... your in luck !!!!   200 from the bottom  1-6-2011

had no issue with delivery have not used /contacted him since....was about 18mo  in the  LTL business ...apparently did good  semi BTO now ,still on useless uship

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, BurroBabe said:

Thanks, but how do I figure how much weight that adds?  It has both.

Well Messics can tell you the wheel weight size, and ask them what tire size are on it( my 574 had 16.9 x 28 on it ) .Then call a tire dealer and find out how much fluid and calcium in each and what does it weigh.I guess 4 to 500 lbs each but that is only a guess.

It has 16.9 x 28.  At 75% fill that would add 575 pounds each, I tapped on the side walls and they are between 50 and 75% . So figuring 500Lbs should be pretty accurate.  Plus the 2 sets weights equaling an additional 300 Lbs.

• Thanks 1

Just curious but how much did dealer want to deliver? Is it enough more that its worth worrying about a shady operator disappearing with your tractor? Or crashing and ruining tractor? Dealers rate may include insurance of some kind while on road? Im not saying dont check other options, just wondering if you will save enough to be worth the hassle.

There are plenty of Mennonite in the Lancaster area that haul stuff. I would wait to see what else you can find. I will ask my brother if he knows any contacts to haul. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Just curious but how much did dealer want to deliver? Is it enough more that its worth worrying about a shady operator disappearing with your tractor? Or crashing and ruining tractor? Dealers rate may include insurance of some kind while on road? Im not saying dont check other options, just wondering if you will save enough to be worth the hassle.

You have to remember, most likely a coming home empty trip for them too.  And most likely far enough away that that is all they will haul in that direction as well.  

10 hours ago, BurroBabe said:

how do I know this person is legit? 

Short answer is, you don't. Use your common sense. Someone legit would give you their name and phone number.

You really need to find out who the person is, do a little research on him, talk to him, ask for references.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, mmi said:

will pm with details

that was a search and  1/2  it is still 80*  here ,had to put a fan in computer room,load and go thru photo files

then thru invoice paper folders,find details...no invoice....lawyers must still have it....?

......? email....!........MS crashed so new isp keeps them in house and only 2 years.......?....hillarys email.......... find and load those into computer.....?? only 1 year........?trash......... your in luck !!!!   200 from the bottom  1-6-2011

had no issue with delivery have not used /contacted him since....was about 18mo  in the  LTL business ...apparently did good  semi BTO now ,still on useless uship

I'm gonna recommend that the admins of this forum add another reaction icon; a gold star for the "above and beyond the call of duty award"  

Bravo mmi, your guy only hauls cars now, but he gave me the # of someone else in Williamsport, my neck of the woods,  who is willing to do it and working up a quote now.. 

This community is really awesome!