Does anyone know if wheels off of a 15-30 or 22-36 will fit a WK40? I bought another one and it has duals on it and one of the inside rim is shot and I would like to put it on singles till I get the duals fixed as they are not quick detach duals Thanks Bill

65614929_10103680922962965_7836561740182585344_n.jpg

• Like 2

Be sure and get the late 15-30 wheels, the early ones have a keyway not a spline.  I have a WD40 with WD9 rear wheels on it.  The spline fits but the 9 hub must be thicker as there is not enough thread for a double nut to lock it all together.  It may be easier to find a WD9 wheel than a 15-30 depending where you are.  

Dale Thanks for the response. The 40's are a 6 cylinder but not a flathead. The valve cover is shallow and makes it look like a flathead. I talked to a local guy and his dad told him a 15-30 and a 22-36 had the same size axle but the splines were different so I guess I will be looking for a parts 22-36 and hope they are the same as a WK40. Bill

57 minutes ago, 7288cdn said:

Be sure and get the late 15-30 wheels, the early ones have a keyway not a spline.  I have a WD40 with WD9 rear wheels on it.  The spline fits but the 9 hub must be thicker as there is not enough thread for a double nut to lock it all together.  It may be easier to find a WD9 wheel than a 15-30 depending where you are.  

Thanks I has wondering about the 9's There are a lot of them around.

2 hours ago, jd730D said:

Dale Thanks for the response. The 40's are a 6 cylinder but not a flathead. The valve cover is shallow and makes it look like a flathead. I talked to a local guy and his dad told him a 15-30 and a 22-36 had the same size axle but the splines were different so I guess I will be looking for a parts 22-36 and hope they are the same as a WK40. Bill

Yes after blowing up pic you can see it is oh valve now. I thought ihc had a flathead 6 cyl engine around or before that time always thought that’s what was in them. I have a 22/36 in the trees and we have some wd9 parts also

16 hours ago, jd730D said:

17 hours ago, 7288cdn said:

7288cdn Would you have a picture of your WD40 you could post Thanks Bill

if you go to http://www.ihc38.com/index.html  and go to the newsletters heading, click on "summer of 17" and scroll down.  That will lead you to my story about the WD40 tandem hitch. After that newsletter went out to our members I found who the original builder was.  He is now deceased but a member of the family who remembers playing on it as a child came and drove it around the yard.  I realize that you probably want a good pic of the rear wheel from a 9 on it and that will come later today.  

4 hours ago, 7288cdn said:

if you go to http://www.ihc38.com/index.html  and go to the newsletters heading, click on "summer of 17" and scroll down.  That will lead you to my story about the WD40 tandem hitch. After that newsletter went out to our members I found who the original builder was.  He is now deceased but a member of the family who remembers playing on it as a child came and drove it around the yard.  I realize that you probably want a good pic of the rear wheel from a 9 on it and that will come later today.  

That is a way cool setup. Love the front bumper. A side shot would be great if possible Thanks again Bill

This shows that a 34 in tire fits inside a fender on a WD40 but from your pulling pic you already know that. The steel strap going around the nut and then bolted to the wheel is the locking mechanism for the wheel nut.  If I was to use that tractor for work I would have to find another system so I could put wheel weights on the rear axle.  

1MWLaJzBSJG6%HLnk0ePiA.jpg

2 hours ago, 7288cdn said:

This shows that a 34 in tire fits inside a fender on a WD40 but from your pulling pic you already know that. The steel strap going around the nut and then bolted to the wheel is the locking mechanism for the wheel nut.  If I was to use that tractor for work I would have to find another system so I could put wheel weights on the rear axle.  

1MWLaJzBSJG6%HLnk0ePiA.jpg

Are all 4 wheels from a 9? Just washer up the other holes to match the strap and put your weights on.Hope I can find a 9 with that style wheel instead of the wedge type.Thanks I appreciate you taking time to post. I don't know if you noticed the WK40 pulling also has live hyds.

The front tractor still has WD40 wheels, though as mentioned they are factory rubber.  I was told that you had to slow down the rear tractor in corners because the governor would sense an increased load as the leader started to turn.  The rear governor would open up and could cause a jackknife or break the rear wheels of the front tractor.  You need a super or later 9 series for that type of wheel.  Dad's regular 9 was a very late one and it had these wheels as well.  

38 minutes ago, 7288cdn said:

The front tractor still has WD40 wheels, though as mentioned they are factory rubber.  I was told that you had to slow down the rear tractor in corners because the governor would sense an increased load as the leader started to turn.  The rear governor would open up and could cause a jackknife or break the rear wheels of the front tractor.  You need a super or later 9 series for that type of wheel.  Dad's regular 9 was a very late one and it had these wheels as well.  

Are you tractors 3 speeds or 4? I wish the one I pull had a 4 speed because 2nd gear is to tall and I power out pretty easy. 1st gear is right at 5mph and I usually have plenty of power. If it is a hard dry track I have to idle down or it will spin out. It is a lot of fun to pull and a crowd pleaser.

I took a picture of that tandem when I bought thisWD40 from Jim. they are 4 speed tractors.  1939.  I always was amazed at these WD40 's. I use mine at tractor pulls and it does very good.  in class 5 I have  beaten all others in class 5 except the 660 ih. its one heck of a lugging machine. john the owner of these tractors had one heck of a bunch of these. I would say these 3 were the best units there. some had TD14 engines in them, as can tell by the yellow engine. I took a pic of that one also . the super wd9 is no comparison to what my 40 can pull.

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG

my tractor has the 18.4x34 rubber and original hubs. it don't have double nuts on it. has the metal locking ring. pretty sure a person could locktite that nut and she wont move. this picture is in sept of 2015 after I started that wd40 and tried it out. was sitting in the quanset  for a long time.

IMG_1406.JPG

yes, the old guy knew what a good tractor was! I said if I won the lottery I would buy every 40 there. lol. im sure there had to be at least 20 of these tractors plus the gas w40's and others.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, jd730D said:

Here is a side view. Someone spent a lot of time dualing this honey up.

65990292_10103681254388785_4369815046822297600_n (1).jpg

And that was all done before wire welders, chop saws, band saws. You can almost see the guy with a old forney welder, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth to light the torch when needed.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, rustred said:

yes, the old guy knew what a good tractor was! I said if I won the lottery I would buy every 40 there. lol. im sure there had to be at least 20 of these tractors plus the gas w40's and others.

Did you see any of these up there?

post-218-0-46973700-1368737770.jpg

55 minutes ago, jd730D said:

Guy here in the area has one he used to farm with. He went to inpatient alcohol treatment years ago and another guy he met there gave him the tractor to get farming again

1 hour ago, jd730D said:

What model is that?  1200 or 1300 or something like that? There was a tractor like that sold at an Ulmer auction June 12 2019  3 miles north of Plaza ND.  $13,000.

Auctioneer said it went to Montana but a local guy told me  it was a local guy that bought it.  It did not run and most of the glass was cracked or broken. Probably sat in the same spot for 40 years. It had a Krebsbach Implement Minot ND sticker on it.

5 minutes ago, Timothy56 said:

What model is that?  1200 or 1300 or something like that? There was a tractor like that sold at an Ulmer auction June 12 2019  3 miles north of Plaza ND.  $13,000.

Auctioneer said it went to Montana but a local guy told me  it was a local guy that bought it.  It did not run and most of the glass was cracked or broken. Probably sat in the same spot for 40 years. It had a Krebsbach Implement Minot ND sticker on it.

This is the same model as the one on Ulmers auction a 2200. I owned this one for several years ans then sold it to a young guy in Missouri who plans on restoring it