806frank

1566 1086

Have a 1566 with differential out. If we split at rear end will a 1086 rear end bolt up or is there a difference.

So your plan is to mate up the differential and final drive housing from a 1086 to the speed transmission from the 1566?

1 hour ago, 806frank said:

We would like. To mate the engine and ta section of 1566 to rear end of 1086.

Not sure that's even  possible alot of differences between the two

I am pretty sure the TA housings are the same. The 1086 speed, range, and differential sections should bolt right on.

Heck I think the differential housing from the 1086 would bolt right on to the speed/range section.

The differences are mainly in the differential and final drive, but even that bolts on to the outside of the "bull gear" final drive housing from the way things look.

12 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

I am pretty sure the TA housings are the same. The 1086 speed, range, and differential sections should bolt right on.

Heck I think the differential housing from the 1086 would bolt right on to the speed/range section.

The speed transmission output gear that slides over the front pinion bearing has different tooth count you may be swapping alot of parts

Not a bolt up affair at all.

1566 speed output shaft requires lube coming from the range transmission main shaft.

Pretty much everything that needs to mate up in the drive line is different.

The internal PTO shaft on a 1566 is larger it may require the 1086 gear at the front of the Torque housing and maybe the PTO gear and a 1086 clutch also

You don't say where you are.  I have a black stripe 1566 with very low hours and no engine.  Location west central Saskatchewan Canada.  Very reasonable.  

Do it at the clutch split, that would work. The rear split is a major job as stated, change a lot of parts.

Did the 15 eat the spider gears and cross shaft?  If so the differential carrier is the same in the 1086.  Could use the parts out of it..... but note, a lot of times it takes the bearings and gear off the bull pinion shaft on the right side.  You'll still have to buy those.  Probably not worth the effort for no more than a used carrier is. 

I didn’t think it would work, but wanted some expert opinions. Thanks for your input. Located in southwest Iowa, be a long road trip.