MIsparky

5488 hyd pump

Yesterday I got the 5488 out for the first time this year to do some cultivating.  After running it for 15 min in the driveway I noticed a significant whine from the pump area.  The steering started getting notchy and hard to turn.  The brakes were slow to respond and felt like they were dragging when I was going down the road for the first 10 sec after applying them.  Also in the field if I applied a single brake it would kick it out of gear.  All new filters this year now with 8-10 hrs on it.  So I'm pretty certain it's the pump with all the symptoms but is there anything else I should look at before?  With the very pronounced whine coming from it, it seems to be likely. 

Did you check the hyd fluid level? If you have done work on the flow divider or anything else where you loosened a line go back and check the connections and make sure you got them tight. You could have some air in the lines. Is the sentry light kicking on?

• Like 1

start with easy stuff first Hydraulic level , filters 

Hydraulic level is good, only thing that has been done is the filters were changed this spring. Would the flow divider cause the pump to whine excessively?? 

if the filters is the only thing that has changed  i would make sure they are installed correct and the oring isnt sucking air  have seen filters not installed correct on 5x88 before.  then i check control pressure .   and yes the flow divider can cause these symptons its the mcv valve of these tractors.   but i would look to see if filters are installed correct first.

So I'm not to proud to admit it... I checked the fluid level 4 times while I was running it... Always was a touch over full, today I checked it before pulling the filters and saw the same thing.  I decided to flip the stick over so the add was on the top side and check it again... Bone dry.  17 gallons of oil later and everything is working perfectly fine.  I'm sure I took some life off of things because of my stupidity but I'm running again. Thanks everyone for their input on it.

Glad you got it figured out.  We all have done something similar in the past so don’t beat yourself up over it.  There was enough to keep it going at times, so should of had enough for lube and sentry was stopping you when pressure dropped.  You may not have done any damage at all and will be fine.  

1 hour ago, 5488Duke said:

Glad you got it figured out.  We all have done something similar in the past so don’t beat yourself up over it.  There was enough to keep it going at times, so should of had enough for lube and sentry was stopping you when pressure dropped.  You may not have done any damage at all and will be fine.  

Agreed, and those dip sticks can kinda be a mother once in a while. A guy is sure it says full, but it isn't.