Sign in to follow this  

The Niobrara is running 1 to 2 foot higher than normal which is very uncommon to be that high for so long but is not causing any problems. 

This I refer to as the HWY 83 truck wash and is not going down and maybe getting a bit deeper (two months now?) It does keep the underside of the old fuel hauler clean though. Curious as to what the road bed is doing under the highway with all the water pressure from the sides and heavy traffic from above that it gets. (Very busy highway)

219485574_hwy83070719.jpg.d38e0e601cf537818952ab5f5a35aae9.jpg

It is better than HWY 97 south of Merritt Res south of Valentine which is still closed with a stretch that they say is 10 foot under water. 

North of Cody, a road I take to get to my North hay meadow. You can see a cake bin and to the right where the road takes up again. I will have to take machinery around through the hills to get to my meadow, if the water goes down enough to hay it. Guessing the road is under about 6 foot of water.

188806589_northcody2070719.jpg.ef2d8fa9df27147f60b7e8387386303a.jpg

Here is shot of the cake bin with about 23t of cake still in it. More than likely a total loss by now. This spot was picked for the bin because it was easily accessible by semi. Never would have dreamed it could be under water.

1146928942_northcody5070719.jpg.01288dc9a2afb51e313e25461c15b684.jpg

Further on, the main road crossing the Little White River had this 12' or 14' tube wash out 

1231800044_littlewhite070719.jpg.7724ded81421fe2146ae5e878f3f6d86.jpg

And the temporary bridge they put in for through traffic. Local traffic only but we will use it for our grass rigs if we get mutual aided to Vetal SD or the Rosebud rez. Not sure I would want to cross it with the 5t 6x6's though.

(Mike I know from your pictures you don't need no stinking bridges and would just bail off into this little stream. I'm not as brave as you are)😄

403422461_littlewhite0707192.jpg.e23026f7c9d27b08edc9a0f20cba3e37.jpg

I hope you guys in the East are faring better. I hear the snow melt has started in earnest in Colorado and that water is coming. Talked to a guy from east of Denver said they were skiing on the 4th of July, in bikinis no less. 😋  Still a lot of roads closed in the Sandhills region and i know of at least one ranch headquarters that is only accessible by boat. 

We are used to water moving down through our sand into the Ogallala aquifer fairly quickly. For it to stay above ground this long is really uncommon.

• Sad 3

Quote, Sandhiller........"...not as brave as you are.."  unquote

OK...how about     ..."not as bloody stupid as you are , Mike "

I think that would be a better fit  :mellow:    ...don't you:)?

Given the information I recently received   on " your neck of the woods......."...it surprises  me how long that water sticks around....and especially given your depth estimates...it will do a lot of damage to any existing pasture  under that water

We had Hurricane    "Gita"    come through our way...about a year ago...took out our new but modest sized sheep yards...lot of new seven wire fences....filled up my new 60x45  shed with crap...ripped out our water supply  of course....plus made the usual mess of logs and logging slash  over several paddocks.....and the logging companies squeeeeeze  out from under any litigation from the peasants......simply because the local District Councils Environment  Compliance Officers , who supposedly  monitor all the logging operations in the top of the South Island...would be right in the proverbial poo........I was in logging..I know the rules !!!.......all waterways have to be left clean of any logging slash...it never happens.........and also. at the end of the day, the Forest Owners.......(mostly   F.........g  Asians, thankyou  ...(ditto)  left wing govt's)...have far bigger pockets than a bunch of pissed off  local farmers.......end of story

Cost us around  10k   just to repair the basics.........I used the big Komatsu Grapple Excavator  from where I recently worked to pick up all the large logs etc that would never fit in a 20 ton digging bucket  (6 feet ).......that cost me another  $2300.00    freight and hire of machine.......I helped out for six years on that job......Canadians  ...never had a bloody clue about  NZ conditions...never mind the vagaries of logging on steep country.......and they bloodywell   charged me dry hire on the Excavator!!!,,,Needless to say I don't work there any more.......far better deal where the son and I are, now.

To digress.....saw a farmer  mate of mine today.......he ordered a New Zealand   made no till, direct  disc drill from AITCHISON  , this back in January...still hasn't got it because of huge sales to North American farmers.......apparently...he was told that the direct drilling over old pasture helps the "sequestering'.....(bit of brutal spelling there .....)..of carbon also...I thought we already knew that??......Is there ever some stuff to wrap your head around re" glo bull  warming.."

Mike   

(Shed pic )

IMG_0702.JPG

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, sandhiller said:

were skiing on the 4th of July, in bikinis no less. 😋

And where are those pictures?!?! 😬

• Haha 2

Mississippi is still above flood stage down here--------just beginning a slow fall.

This morning's report projects us to move below flood stage on July 21st.

Been a long flood season.

DD

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Farmall1066 said:

And where are those pictures?!?! 😬

On the Denver news😪⛷️👙

River keeps going up and down.  Earlier one farm had about 550 acres of 1100 acres  under water. It went down to about 400 acres. But is back to about 500 acres today.  The guy that farms it planted about 450 acres but 150 of that drowned out.  Not sure what we are going to do.   The guy that farms it said his crop insurance company is not saying much. The guy that farms it is young. He can't take to big a hit with out hurting him.   We all took a big hit in 2011. And this looks like it could be worse.  The state has said they want to reduce property taxes on land effected.  But I'm not going to believe that till I see it.   Between taxes and insurance we have a little over a 100 dollars an acre fixed cost. If the state does reduce the property taxes that would help a lot.  I'm Not sure what to do about the cash rent????  How can you charge rent  for something he can't farm???   Its going to be a wait and see game.   Worse part is they say the river is  going to stay about this elevation the rest of year.  If this ground goes into fall under water. It will be to wet to farm next year.  You have to work this ground in fall and let it freeze out.   Also I bet there is dirt work to do.  2011 this farm went under water and we worked the rest of year moving dirt from that. The Corp tried to force me to remove a dike.  Told them were to go. They had a drainage tube put in with out asking anyone  and that is what is causing my problems.    Someone needs to hold the Army Corp of Engineers liable for the screw ups they cause. They jave no clue what they are doing. The dams on the Missouri were built for flood control and the Corp was suppose to manage them for that reason.  Now the recreation people and environment people are telling the Corp what to do. And look at how that is turning out.  South Dakota want the dams full for boating and fishing. But then there is no room for flood control.  The stupid environmental people want to save a bird and fish. So water can't be released only certain times of year.  Then the barge people want the river at a certain level for barge traffic. There is very little barge traffic on upper part of river.  For these three groups they flood homes farms bussiness roads and put people in harm's way.  Think of the millions of dollars this is costing people for these few people.  😥

• Like 1

Sandhiller. Ive noticed a lot of the shoulders on the HWYs have started to break off because of the road bed being soaked The road beads under the concrete  has to be soaked up. HWY 30 is like driving on a sponge. Platte and Elkhorn river  have cut new channels several places. The flooding is going to effect thing for years.   

5 hours ago, RKO said:

River keeps going up and down.  Earlier one farm had about 550 acres of 1100 acres  under water. It went down to about 400 acres. But is back to about 500 acres today.  The guy that farms it planted about 450 acres but 150 of that drowned out.  Not sure what we are going to do.   The guy that farms it said his crop insurance company is not saying much. The guy that farms it is young. He can't take to big a hit with out hurting him.   We all took a big hit in 2011. And this looks like it could be worse.  The state has said they want to reduce property taxes on land effected.  But I'm not going to believe that till I see it.   Between taxes and insurance we have a little over a 100 dollars an acre fixed cost. If the state does reduce the property taxes that would help a lot.  I'm Not sure what to do about the cash rent????  How can you charge rent  for something he can't farm???   Its going to be a wait and see game.   Worse part is they say the river is  going to stay about this elevation the rest of year.  If this ground goes into fall under water. It will be to wet to farm next year.  You have to work this ground in fall and let it freeze out.   Also I bet there is dirt work to do.  2011 this farm went under water and we worked the rest of year moving dirt from that. The Corp tried to force me to remove a dike.  Told them were to go. They had a drainage tube put in with out asking anyone  and that is what is causing my problems.    Someone needs to hold the Army Corp of Engineers liable for the screw ups they cause. They jave no clue what they are doing. The dams on the Missouri were built for flood control and the Corp was suppose to manage them for that reason.  Now the recreation people and environment people are telling the Corp what to do. And look at how that is turning out.  South Dakota want the dams full for boating and fishing. But then there is no room for flood control.  The stupid environmental people want to save a bird and fish. So water can't be released only certain times of year.  Then the barge people want the river at a certain level for barge traffic. There is very little barge traffic on upper part of river.  For these three groups they flood homes farms bussiness roads and put people in harm's way.  Think of the millions of dollars this is costing people for these few people.  😥

The Corp will tell you that they manage waterways for transportation and recreation only. There is no provision for ag whatsoever. This is from the the Corp itself. Disgusting to us who farm (or try to) alluvial flood plain ground. It has become increasingly difficult and nearing impossible to keep going in today’s ag economy with these acres being used as a holding pond for the Corp’s objectives of transportation and recreation. The pain is real. The light at the end of the tunnel has been put out by all the flood water....hang in there if you can.

7 hours ago, RKO said:

Sandhiller. Ive noticed a lot of the shoulders on the HWYs have started to break off because of the road bed being soaked The road beads under the concrete  has to be soaked up. HWY 30 is like driving on a sponge. Platte and Elkhorn river  have cut new channels several places. The flooding is going to effect thing for years.   

Haven't seen that yet with the hwys but I believe to be inevitable. I also don't see this water going away in some of the worst places for years if at all. This may be the new norm to some extent. Can anyone say with any certainty? Hwy 83 spot is a road built through a swamp. I'm starting to get nervous crossing the water with my 81k load. Can't really see what is going on beneath until it is too late. 

15 hours ago, RKO said:

Sadly the special interest groups with the loudest squeak and the most grease rule how things happen and when .

17 hours ago, Cool1566 said:

The Corp will tell you that they manage waterways for transportation and recreation only. There is no provision for ag whatsoever. This is from the the Corp itself. Disgusting to us who farm (or try to) alluvial flood plain ground. It has become increasingly difficult and nearing impossible to keep going in today’s ag economy with these acres being used as a holding pond for the Corp’s objectives of transportation and recreation. The pain is real. The light at the end of the tunnel has been put out by all the flood water....hang in there if you can.

The Corps original river management plan was for flood control first. Then barge traffic then recreation.  In about 2009 they devolped a new plan and recreation was first. Then environmental second. Third barge traffic. Then flood control last. There was never major flooding after 1952 flood. Everything worked pretty good for almost 60 years. Then The Corps change the management plan in 2009  and we have the 2011 and now 2019 flood.  They talk about recreation income. But what they forget is what that recreation income is costing.  I will not pay as much income tax or property tax the next couple years because of the flooding.  And I'm small in this area. Just think of the thosands of acres not being planted and amount of income that no taxes will be paid.  I know of a couple farmers that are in trouble because of the flooding. .

Environmental people want to turn the Missiouri river valley into a gaint wet land area.  They want to return the river back to the way it was in 1800.  They forget where their food comes from.  O I forget they think food comes from the grocery store 😥

11 minutes ago, RKO said:

they think food comes from the grocery store 😥

Everyone thinks that nowadays!!! The general public has zero knowledge, and zero cares about farms, farmers, and farming!! As long as they can get food, and enjoy their weekends without us farmers interrupting their drive to the cabin, their life is great! It’s really sad!

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Farmall1066 said:

Everyone thinks that nowadays!!! The general public has zero knowledge, and zero cares about farms, farmers, and farming!! As long as they can get food, and enjoy their weekends without us farmers interrupting their drive to the cabin, their life is great! It’s really sad!

Sad truth here 

Wife sent this to me, thought it was kinda cool. Don't think it's a photoshop.

760786142_fishmuskie.thumb.JPG.f2eb52b860d47a88ae2ebbe0d4356103.JPG

• Haha 1