1086 valve lash adjustment

Just completed an inframe overhaul on a 1086. I'm trying to determine what valve lash to use. I have the early serial number block, but I'm not so sure the cam shaft has been replaced before i overhauled it. >126953 says to use .020 I and .025 E. <126954 says to use .025I and .025E. Is there anyway to tell if it has the later cam shaft? 

23 minutes ago, fordfx413 said:

Just completed an inframe overhaul on a 1086. I'm trying to determine what valve lash to use. I have the early serial number block, but I'm not so sure the cam shaft has been replaced before i overhauled it. >126953 says to use .020 I and .025 E. <126954 says to use .025I and .025E. Is there anyway to tell if it has the later cam shaft? 

Any engines with the larger lifters are 0.25 intake and exhaust

It is difficult to tell.  The first change made to .025-.025 the camshaft looked the same. The width of the lobes were the same. The numbering system on the camshaft was confusing as it included the gear and thrust plate.  The next change of camshaft had the wider lobes and they were easy to tell.  There was a sticker that came with the changed camshaft that was installed on the valve cover.  If it has that it was changed. Of course, most of those stickers came off over the years. 

You can tell by checking valve timing but it has to be done really careful as there is not much difference and you have to follow the procedure in the book.   Serial number on engines will also tell you if it happened to come from the factory with the changed cam and the numbers are also in the service manual.  Large lifters came much later in production but they of course do have changed camshaft.  

The only way I know of to check with the cam in the engine is with the cam timing method explained in the IH service manual.

• Like 1

There is a few thousands difference in valve lift between the original and the later camshafts. I use a dial indicator to measure the total lift and used that figure to determine which cam is in the engine.

3 hours ago, Owen Aaland said:

There is a few thousands difference in valve lift between the original and the later camshafts. I use a dial indicator to measure the total lift and used that figure to determine which cam is in the engine.

Why not pull a pushrod and look down at the lifer there's a big difference in lifter diameter easy to tell 

42 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Why not pull a pushrod and look down at the lifer there's a big difference in lifter diameter easy to tell 

The change in valve lash to .025" I and .025" E happened a long before the wider lobes and lifters.