Sign in to follow this  
Victor21

Torque with which to tighten the head bolts

Hello Im from Poland I buy tractor with engine D358 (not with turbo). The engine has a damaged head gasket. Please write how the head bolts should be tightened. I was hearing about three stages. Do everything on a cold engine? How much time to wait between stages? Regards Victor 

When the sequence is unknown, start at the center of the head and work your way outward, in a circular pattern. I run a tap down all the holes to clean them, then  I lube the threads with never-seez,  or teflon pipe sealant if they thread into a water passage. I do two stages, the first at about 50% of maximum torque and the second at  peak torque. Since the bolts are lubricated, I use the lower choice in the suggested torque range. If you're on the second time around, and you can't reach maximum torque after several pulls on your torque wrench, the bolt is stretching.  Don't keep going until it snaps off , take it out and look at it .  If I stretch 2 bolts, I declare the entire set scrap and order new bolts. To salvage the head gasket, do not unscrew them all at once. Replace them 1 at a time, and torque each one  to 50 lb.feet until they are all replaced.

I don't know what's inside of a 358, but if there are any oil feed bolts, like a Red Diamond 361 for example, They DO NOT get the same torque as the rest of the bolts. The 361 head bolts are 105 lb.feet,  while the oil feed bolt gets 75 lb.feet.

Folks there is a complete service manual set for all the nuess engines posted on this forum. checkout an entry labeled d239/674 engine manual pdf. It covers the d179 to d358 engines and lots of other free docs.  

Hello Thanks for advices Binderoid--Your advice is very useful...(thanks very much..) How exactly do You use the Never SEEZ product for head screws? I was  purchase  a workshop manual for d358 engines. They write to tighten in 3 stages. first stages in LbF-Ft 29, second stages 58, final 101-109Lbf -FT. But nothing about waiting between stages ... Regards V

On 7/16/2019 at 6:01 PM, Victor21 said:

Hello Thanks for advices Binderoid--Your advice is very useful...(thanks very much..) How exactly do You use the Never SEEZ product for head screws? I was  purchase  a workshop manual for d358 engines. They write to tighten in 3 stages. first stages in LbF-Ft 29, second stages 58, final 101-109Lbf -FT. But nothing about waiting between stages ... Regards V

I like to paint the bolt with never-seez about 1/2 the length of the bolt, because when the head gasket fails and lets water around a head bolt (6.9/7.3 PC motors), the bolt can rust and get seized in the head. Never heard of a waiting period between torque stages. In the days of asbestos head gaskets I suppose the waiting period manifested itself as re-torquing a warm engine, but with today's manufacture of head gaskets, you hardly ever hear of re-torquing anymore.