RedPower5488

5.9 cummins in a 706

I'm just wondering if the motor out of a 1996 pickup is too new to work in a 706 without too much trouble. Is there anything different from a 1996 compared to a late 80s dodge Cummins (electronics, pump ect.) The reason I ask is because my old farm truck is clapped out in all areas except for that beautiful motor and I would like to do a 706 Cummins swap and I was wondering if this motor is too new. It is my understanding that I need an adapter, flywheel, clutch, and throttle linkage from Leaman's along with a maxxum exhaust manifold and thermostat housing and a radiator with the ports on the correct side. Anything I'm missing? I followed the thread from hemlock farms but that motor came out of an 89 dodge truck.

Message Cwinn on here. Hes done one

A 96 dodge Cummins would be a 12 valve engine with that beautiful Bosch PE pump and minimum electronics.  I think it would be the perfect choice for the swap.

Would need to change the governor on the P pump.  No electronics on the Dodge Cummins engines until the 24 valve came out in the '98 1/2.

23 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Would need to change the governor on the P pump.  No electronics on the Dodge Cummins engines until the 24 valve came out in the '98 1/2.

Gearclash is correct.

If you are always going to be on it to regulate throttle it would not be that big of a deal, but use it in a stationary application like silage blower (variable load) and you will hate it.

I have one in a 806 I love it you won’t notice the governor much mine still has the one from when it was in a truck it’s a pleasure to drive just use it like a 100 horse and I think it will last a long time

1F3CD16C-2624-4351-9343-D95ED24CB64C.jpeg

1F8CEC04-CAE2-4889-ADF6-6911E8F67BCB.jpeg

92649B7D-5F8F-4B37-95F8-3E4FB855C524.jpeg

• Like 3

I recently picked up a really clean 806lp and intend to put the 95 p-pumped 5.9 out of an old donor truck in it. There are no more electronics on the 94-98 than there are on the older motors. Main difference is the pump. Most people like the newer p-pump because it will make much more power easily over the old rotarty pump. I think I'm going to run mine without the inter-cooler and set it up at 120hp or so. Should last 10k hrs or more there.

On 7/7/2019 at 3:08 PM, redturbo said:

This was at rpru 2019

BE2AF7F5-876B-49F9-A589-44E0828741F6.jpeg

591D140B-5F7D-4518-9A3C-E0B317A14216.jpeg

My 706 made it up there but of course I was busy at home cutting wheat. Any questions on doing a swap, dont be afraid to get in touch with myself or Ed Leaman. 😎😎

• Like 1

This is a 450 rear, but not a hard swap. Biggest thing is all the time. 

95E30BF8-D799-4979-B95D-8714B7B70831.jpeg

• Like 1