Sign in to follow this  
RBootsMI

What steering shaft do I need?

I've got a 450 Row Crop gas. It has a Behlen power steering unit on it that needs to be gone through. It needs to be shimmed to it to steer the same both ways. It steers real nice one way, and you're fighting the power steering the other way. I know that the spool needs to be adjusted by shimming it with gaskets. Right now I don't have time to take the valve off the tractor 5 or 10 times to keep readjusting the amount of gaskets to get the spool shimmed correctly, so I just want to find the correct straight steering worm shaft without power steering so I can move it around without fighting it until I get time to get the power steering right. I looked on the Case IH website, and there are 4 different shafts listed, 2 for propane applications. The other 2 I can't seem to make heads or tails of what the difference between them is. So, I want to see if I can locate a used shaft to stick in there, but want to know what to ask for. Will one for an M or a 400 work? Or does it specifically have to be from a 450 without power steering?  Any insight would be appreciated.

Ross

I see no reason why my Super M wouldn't fit my 450.  Worm, bearing, seal is the same.  Shaft diameter and key is the same.  Just double-check the length to the universal.  The clutch housings are different lengths.

Chris B.

Without power steering a MD, SMD, SMTA , 400 and 450 works. Gas M and SM shorter. SMTA  gas and diesel the same length, 400, 450 gas and diesel the same length worm shaft. Some 450 had the two piece worm shaft with regular steering and power steering that was supposed to cut down on vibration to steering wheel. Some LP used a longer steering shaft I think, or the worm shaft. Can't remember for sure now. Dave

Thanks guys! And I have a parts MD, but I couldn't find it when I looked for it a couple months ago.  I was looking for it solely to try it out to see if it would work on this 450.  I'm pretty sure I GAVE that dang shaft to a guy that had an MD that had the steering shafts bent when a storm blew the barn on his tractor. Dangit.

Thanks again

Ross

I hand made a shaft to bypass the power steering unit by hand with welding up a shaft and making a welded in key by filing it down. It fit in place of the power unit and used the couplers of the power unit . I did not have to take the front end apart to substitute it out. Just cut it the same length as the power unit.Ran it for a few years before the tractor cracked the head(diesel) and I scrapped it out. Funny thing is I bought it back from the guy I sold it to for the fast hitch a few years later to put on a 450.