exSW

Back tires

Anybody use these? Carlisle's. Cheapest in this size and Made in the USA. 26 12 12 is the size. $105ish apiece shipped.

Carlisle WT300 26_12-12 Tire-570042 - The Home Depot.jpg

I always go with the Tru-Power tires in 26x12x12.

20190626_201334.jpg

That Carlisle R4 would probably wear better and give expected wear life on hard surfaces like concrete, blacktop,  or really hard packed crushed rock. But lots of the sub-compact tractors with 26-12.00x12 tires, even ones with 4wd that have them struggle to get traction with them. Guys on one forum bought tire grooving tools like dirt track stock cars use on their tires to improve traction.  Lots of those little tractors don't have room between the tires and fenders to run tire chains,  have to add wheel spacers to run chains.

I've put 23 degree Firestone rear tires on two of my Cub Cadets.  Would Really like to put Firestones on my last Cub Cadet #70 and my Cub Cadet Zero Turn too.  The difference in traction between a turf tire and an R-1 tire regardless of brand is so great you soon forget how much the R-1's cost and are just happy you aren't tearing up your yard anymore.

WT-300 is Carlisle's number for that tire. I'm finally getting to the bottom of my turf tire pile(thank goodness). And I'd like more traction. I was surprised the WT-300's were so cheap. They say they're designed for skid steers so they have less impact (traction also)on turf. If tractor tread tires aren't tearing up lawns then I might just go that way.

I was able to find a set of NOS Firestone 23’ tires at my local tire shop that I deal with for the farm - he was going to put them on his wife’s Green Machine - but I was able to convince them both to sell them to me!  These aren’t the Miller Tire ones, these are the old ones from Firestone.  Certainly changes the look of the 982!  Been told that there is no comparison to using turfs for lawn work. Road ditches aren’t a challenge anymore!

34 minutes ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I was able to find a set of NOS Firestone 23’ tires at my local tire shop that I deal with for the farm - he was going to put them on his wife’s Green Machine - but I was able to convince them both to sell them to me!  These aren’t the Miller Tire ones, these are the old ones from Firestone.  Certainly changes the look of the 982!  Been told that there is no comparison to using turfs for lawn work. Road ditches aren’t a challenge anymore!

That's great. I priced the Firestones. About died. And as I understand it not even Made in America anymore. Finding a set of originals is a real score for you.

7 hours ago, exSW said:

That's great. I priced the Firestones. About died. And as I understand it not even Made in America anymore. Finding a set of originals is a real score for you.

Yeah, I was quite pleased!  Now if I could only find a set for my 782 to match! 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 7:11 AM, Mountain Heritage said:

I was able to find a set of NOS Firestone 23’ tires at my local tire shop that I deal with for the farm - he was going to put them on his wife’s Green Machine - but I was able to convince them both to sell them to me!  These aren’t the Miller Tire ones, these are the old ones from Firestone.

Miller tire has the 23° tires made special.  Firestone never offered a 23° GT tire for sale through dealers.  Let's see a pic of these tires....  Goodyear had a tire that was close to the 23° that was widely used. 

Firestone DID offer 23 deg in 6x12, 8.50 and 26x12 way before Miller started making them.  Miller had them made after Firestone discontinued them, then added the 10.50 size.  I had 2 sets of 8.50's that were real Firestone.  Pullers used a boat load of the old "original" 'Stones before all of the dedicated specialty pulling tires.

Firestone tire data books from 2000 and 2005

20190707_135144.jpg

20190707_135135.jpg

20190707_135207.jpg

20190707_135200.jpg

• Haha 1

That's great Steve!  I've not ever once seen a set on a GT though.  I'm going to say no manufacturer ever used them on new machines?  IH used Goodyear almost exclusively.  All the old AG tires I've ever seen that were original were GY's.  Not ever ran into an old 23° Firestone.  Learned something new. 

But, the books you show are from the early 2k's.  How long ago did they build them?  Just those years?  If so, that's not all that long ago. 

I don't know how early they started making them.  When I bought my 129 in 1998 they were available in 8.50 from the Firestone dealer......and early pullers really loved them.

I agree, Good Year ags were "factory" for machines like 982's and Deere 400's.

I would also speculate that very few people put them on aftermarket until the late 80's-mid 90's when the GT collecting boom really took off......much more limited market.

The Firestones ended up on LOTS of Vermeer and Ditch Witch trenchers, (26x12 and 3x15) and the 8.50's on the walk beside trenchers in the 80's and 90's.

The original Stones were better quality tires than the China made Millers, but Miller did get them developed into a 10.50.....opening up the options for good pulling 23 deg tires on your restoration!!!!

I will have to get a better pic of them this week - this all I have on phone. 

4E94C7F0-5905-4883-89BC-B2424210BB17.jpeg

E73CBC86-2C24-4361-A0D5-9A622A388B80.jpeg

26x12x12 Stones always look MEAN on an SGT!!!!!  Nice Score!!!!

9 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

26x12x12 Stones always look MEAN on an SGT!!!!!  Nice Score!!!!

Thanks Mr Plow!

79CD025D-51DC-498A-BA7E-BEB8CE9DAB4D.jpeg

C4DBF780-94A7-4DAE-8638-DFA4EF64C122.jpeg

4249CA57-DFE8-4BAE-AFDB-B31349B11419.jpeg

I agree: love my 23 degree’ers.  

23340539-F6E0-465B-95A9-D74FE1305028.thumb.jpeg.523d3504d0cef3a357b1d7b7b03aca05.jpeg

B5B306F8-7A96-42A5-901C-6041B95C228F.thumb.jpeg.4afdef3e057761bd5f6e63f8b276ed36.jpeg

• Haha 1

She looks good on that nice new trailer!  Congrats on a nice collection!

• Like 1