Sign in to follow this  
brian falcone

Oh boy.....I'm back with another project

Picked this little hough hf for what I felt was a fair price.  Former town machine. Heat even works ! It has a 6 volt system but the guy jumped the solenoid with a 12 volt battery. Melted some wires and started a small fire.which didnt concern me much untill I realized he spilled gas all over the cab floor while filling the tank.  At 6 feet tall and 250 pounds I wasnt getting out of the cab very fast so we decided to just winch it on the truck instead of trying to drive it on. Has all the old work lights and even a licence plate from 1950 still on it.  Not sure when I'll get around to it but a few problems right off the bat. Brakes do not work...engine wont idle and continues to rev up even with throttle down. And theres a crack at the flange on the exhaust  manifold. Not sure if I will leave it 6 volt or switch it to 12 with a GM one wire alternator .

20190701_192215.jpg

I had an HY, only difference I see is the rear axle, don't think mine had the planetary. First off the thing will lift almost anything, problem is the rear gets light and you can't move it. Understand the gas thing, fill in the dash? battery under the seat? My brakes didn't work either, but it was just a leak I never got fixed. Mine only had a foot throttle, linkage was pretty much straight forward. Had it converted to 12v but original components were rebuilt for that, takes a different voltage regulator. Waukesha motor?  fairly common and we got a donor from an Oliver farm tractor, ours had a bent piston rod.  One thing that really stuck out in my mind was the thought I could loose an arm in this thing.....

Has a hercules engine. No ticking or knocking  but at idle it gradually revs higher on it's own. Has a gas pedal and hand throttle. Gas fill cap is just to the left of steering wheel. It came with a set of chains for the rear tires too ! Not a bad project. I had an h25b years ago and struggled with traction on that too

images-1.jpg

This was mine.

1173309079_DSCI0364(640x480).jpg.1f8e5d1f7efae0b828f841a7fef96878.jpg

Brian said his was an HF, according to the parts books mine is a HY which I think to be a little older, 50 something or so I was told. We got it from a large Ag company that had written it off, bad gas tank, water in the cylinders, bent piston rod and had to take the tranny out to replace some bearings which had spun in the housings, wasn't to bad to work on but I was a lot younger back then. When they moved the driveline to the front, they had a much better machine.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:05 AM, pede said:

Brian said his was an HF, according to the parts books mine is a HY which I think to be a little older, 50 something or so I was told. We got it from a large Ag company that had written it off, bad gas tank, water in the cylinders, bent piston rod and had to take the tranny out to replace some bearings which had spun in the housings, wasn't to bad to work on but I was a lot younger back then. When they moved the driveline to the front, they had a much better machine.

My grandpa had a Hough with the front drive and rear steering that he used on the farm in the 60s and then at his sawmill later.  Looked pretty much like the OPs HF.  What model(s) would that have been?

its long gone since he sold it with his sawmill.  I might know where it is but also know that it would need a complete overhaul, and tires, and all new hoses, etc. always ran great and would lift anything, just too light in the rear end at times.

16 hours ago, hector gemme said:

I have some spair operating and parts manuals for these machines

Hector, do have or know where I can get a fuel pump for a W9 McCormick tractor?

Glad to see another Hough HF owner on here!

The rear drive, front steer concept seems backwards but Hough also made a front drive, rear steer in the same era. Mine has been quite handy to have around. I have lifted Scout bodys on and off chassis with it and moved dirt. Although I recently bought an IH 510 Payloader and the ol Hough hasn't seen much use. Getting in and out of it is a pain but you get your exercise for the day.  Great find! 

20170821_194328.thumb.jpg.dc9e1fb66838e75100d8bf2a9bfcdd50.jpg

Nice project ! 

I like it  !

Well....the exhaust manifold is rotted to **** on the bottom. Dont think I can find one either. Anyone know if any other herc manifolds will bolt to this engine ? Carb is in the middle as is exhaust outlet but I'm sure I could make it work if the exhaust was on front or back.  Guy down the street has a Detroit 353 for sale....prolly more work to fab in another engine than worth.

Well that's disappointing! Mine has the Hercules QXD-3 gas engine. Is that what yours has?

I am told the Hercules QXD-3 engines were also used in John Deere 55 and maybe 65 combines. You may have better luck searching for one off of a combine. I am assuming it would be the same manifold.

Mine had a Waukesha. Ever thought about making a manifold?

I was thinking of cutting the exhaust portions off and making flanges and pipework to make a separate manifold. As the intake and exhaust are cast as one piece I would have to get pretty creative. I located a manifold for 300...which is more than I paid for the machine but it may be worth picking it up. I removed the head and cylinder walls look very good.

I just love a good fabrication job, did the exhaust elbow on my 20c. Yes you have to get creative, I had to make an external clamp setup to weld to the turbo and have a flange to start the exhaust from, told my machine shop buddy we ought to market these in various sizes. I only did mine because I had no other choice and it wasn't cheap but on the up side I know it will outlast me.    

maybe grafting in your old TD340 engine?

parting that machine out soon, just no time to get all the u/c stuff I got to go back in 

Tell me your not parting out the one I sold you !!! That little machine made equipment echoes magazine...the DVD and it made  The international hough dresser book that came out last year !

Brian, what Hercules engine is in your Payloader?  Is it by chance a JX4?  If so, I may have a manifold. I'm not too good with this computer thing and I rarely check it, but if you call me I can do some digging to see what I have, Jim, 503-407-8659

On 7/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, brian falcone said:

Picked this little hough hf for what I felt was a fair price.  Former town machine. Heat even works ! It has a 6 volt system but the guy jumped the solenoid with a 12 volt battery. Melted some wires and started a small fire.which didnt concern me much untill I realized he spilled gas all over the cab floor while filling the tank.  At 6 feet tall and 250 pounds I wasnt getting out of the cab very fast so we decided to just winch it on the truck instead of trying to drive it on. Has all the old work lights and even a licence plate from 1950 still on it.  Not sure when I'll get around to it but a few problems right off the bat. Brakes do not work...engine wont idle and continues to rev up even with throttle down. And theres a crack at the flange on the exhaust  manifold. Not sure if I will leave it 6 volt or switch it to 12 with a GM one wire alternator .

20190701_192215.jpg

At times if i was married she would say stop having crap follow you home.  I get enough guff from my cat when the water dish and food bowl is empty.