7120 rear engine seal

Do I need to replace rear cover too? Parts man sent it along. There is a groove in crank, anybody have any luck installing a sleeve? I am thinking about driving seal in another 1/8" to miss groove. Any sealer on od of seal? The top 4 cover bolts were loose, but cover looks good, original made in USA, replacement in China, thanks  Robert 

Original seals sometime spun in seal carrier, if it's good I would reuse it. Before having the proper tool I would heat wear sleeve and slide it on crank hub, or re-position seal slightly. Take brake cleaner or something and clean the carrier bolt holes, once clean and dry a drop of Loc-Tite on the bolts and 84 in lbs. If you take cover off and replace gasket behind it you will likely need a pan gasket also. Many times I have taken a razor knife and cut pan gasket right against block then using gasket material make a new piece of gasket that fits under seal carrier. A light coat of 515 sealer on OD of seal will be fine. Flywheel bolts torque to 101 ft lbs

If I may ask, why didn't your partsman sell you a rear main seal with a wear sleeve, part # A77810? We haven't stocked the rear main without a wear sleeve for a Magnum engine in better than 20 years....us guys in the shop wouldn't use that one unless we were dealing with an engine with low hours. It takes a special tool to install it, but I would think your dealer's shop would let you borrow it in this case(maybe not?). Just wondering...

7 hours ago, SDman said:

If I may ask, why didn't your partsman sell you a rear main seal with a wear sleeve, part # A77810? We haven't stocked the rear main without a wear sleeve for a Magnum engine in better than 20 years....us guys in the shop wouldn't use that one unless we were dealing with an engine with low hours. It takes a special tool to install it, but I would think your dealer's shop would let you borrow it in this case(maybe not?). Just wondering...

I dont know, they said it was what they use in the shop, lol. This will work fine, old one barely was seeping,  but now it's time while its apart. Only groove is on dust side, oil side good

Archived