jsborn

IH T-340 Crawler Hyd Issue

I have a IH T-340 with 6 way blade and the Hyd system seems to be getting really slow and noisy. Sounds like possibly air in system.

I looked in Operators Manual and can't find any filters or screens to clean or replace.. are there any??

Also how do you check correct fluid level in system ?

All I have is operators Manual so if any one has a Maintenance Manual in PDF format that they might share I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you are either low on hydraulic fluid and or the filters need changing. Hydraulic filters are dual purpose, used for both the hydraulic system and transmission. The filters are built into the right side of the transmission case. Transmission dipstick is located on the top of the main frame cover. Your operators manual covers how to change the filters and the checking of the fluid level, capacity and oil type to use. (Hy-tran oil or equivalent)

All I have is the operators manual. Do you have any way to copy or send the section on doing this from the Maintenance Manual?

Here is a picture of the location of your filters from the parts manual, item 20 is the cover. You access this between the tracks near the top idler. Your operators manual should have all the info you need to service it unless some of it is missing. I don't have a service manual, I sold my T340's many years ago, I do have the parts manual. Maybe MMI can send you the info you need.

IH T340 clutch housing and covers.jpg

Thanks for the Diagram. I am assuming that the fluid need to be drained before the plate on the side is removed to get to the filters right?

Do you happen to know where would be a good place to get the Service / Mant. Manual ?

Ebay?  Lots of reproductions on ebay, some are of not so good quality, once in a while an original shows up. Google IH T-340 service manual.

When I did the filters on mine I drove the right side of the tractor onto wooden blocks, the higher the better,  I did not loose too much oil.

Here's a picture of the filters from a sales brochure.

IH T-340 hydraulic filters.jpg

There were 2 filter types...one I recall was a single large oval with a mesh screen that could be cleaned and reused.  The other had two round filters that had to be replaced. Wix filters makes both. I think they were around 20 bucks.my t340 would required cleaning of the filters quite often.

Thank you for all your help. Due to the heat in South Georgia and my age and health it may be a while before I open up the filter enclosure to see which type I have but I will let you all know what I find.

Thanks again for the help.