Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

Here I sit in the ER...

I figured I’d take my bike to my friends rehearsal, showered , deemed it too darn hot for my riding jacket which has armor. I fired it up and headed down the road turn left, then right, I heard some go “snap” dismissed it as an unseen pebble, on the next left turn in became suddenly aware that the “snap” was the kickstand popping down. I ended up in the neighbors driveway at about 30 MPH landed on my shoulder. Had X-rays, my MIL who is a doctor is theorizing AC separation. Here I sit in the waiting room wishing I was at the roundup instead. The bikes pretty scuffed up, but dad came and rode it home. I was contemplating a paint job, now I guess itl get one. Happened suddenly, could have been worse, be careful out there and make sure your stand is ALL THE WAY UP!

• Sad 5

Glad it wasn’t any worse. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Seth. 

Prayers for a speedy recovery. Glad it wasn't any worse

Thanks, save the prayers for those in need though, this was inattentive motorcycle riding, I know better, I should always look down not just kick at it. 

• Like 1

I've thought I had the kickstand down before only to find out over center and too late.

A couple weeks ago my bike went over due to the ground getting soft and the kickstand plunged in.  I can't lift it myself so I used a strap and a wing on my batwing mower to upright with the hydraulics.

Hope everything is OK.

Rick

19 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Hope everything is OK.

Rick

The bike is a little scuffy ☹️

so am I, I’m pretty sure I’ll live either way 

Just now, vtfireman85 said:

The bike is a little scuffy ☹️

so am I, I’m pretty sure I’ll live either way 

LOL, yea but it's no fun getting beat up like that.

Rick

Just now, oldtanker said:

LOL, yea but it's no fun getting beat up like that.

Rick

But Rick, Seth used to endure FAR worse fates in Tupper during college......

5 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

But Rick, Seth used to endure FAR worse fates in Tupper during college......

I believe that.

Rick

Glad to hear that you'll be ok.

9 minutes ago, Driver1 said:

Glad to hear that you'll be ok.

I am glad to hear that Seth is going to mend and heal.

As far as Seth being okay.......

• Haha 1

I’m on my way home, refused opioids, have a fractured and displaced scapula. Appointment with orthopedic doctor being made next week, ER doc says just let it heal but of course isn’t committing 

Glad to hear that it wasn't worse. Take care and hopefully you heal up quickly.

Glad to hear it was only minor and not a lot worse. Heal quick and rest easy 

4 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

.... and make sure your stand is ALL THE WAY UP!

I guess they fool proofed my Honda Shadow. The engine kills if you try to put it in gear with the stand down. Don't even ask how long it took me to figure that out in the driveway one day.

I had a lady pull out in front of me when I was headed through town one day. Pretty busy road, I was doing about 50  through there, can't remember if the speed limit is 45 or 50, but a lady decided to pull right out in front of me from a parking lot drive. My first instinct was to not slam into the back of her and end up in front of her and being run over. So I grabbed the brakes as hard as I could, but I must have been much too hard on the fronts in my panic stop. I went over the top. I don't think 2 seconds had passed from her pulling in front of me to me leaving the motorcycle. I remember sliding down the pavement on my knees in a kneeling position before rolling onto my back and watching the bike sliding on its side off to my right and slamming into a curb before flopping up over it. The lady kept going, totally unaware she had just turned my knees and back into gravel stone encrusted hamburger. My knees were ground off to the bone in about a 2 1/2" circle, and my back was literally skinless from my neck halfway down to the small of my back. Some people stopped and asked if I was ok and if I wanted a ride to the hospital, but nothing appeared to be broken so I declined.  I got over to the bike, the wheels were still round, and it was all there in a scraped, bent up pieces, mess. It started back up after cranking a bit, smoked like a freight train for a bit, then I rode it to my girlfriend's house. She pulled the fabric and stones out of the meat and poured an entire bottle of peroxide on my back and knees. Wow was that horrible. It took about a month and a half to get the skin to grow back, and I'm lucky I didn't get some sort of infection. It really wrecked my knees though as I found out I couldn't get around very well, very painful for a couple years until I had them fixed. Now days I just ride around the farm on my dirt bike, and ride my enduro to the other farm on the back roads. Too many deer around here anymore in the day time let alone at dusk/night/dawn to be riding much at those times. Too many crazies texting on the main roads to ride on those very safely, and I'm the only supporter of my family, so I take it easy now days compared to the past. Glad you're alright, you never know when you're gonna cheat death or injury.

Ross

Ouch!  Best wishes for a quick recovery. 

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse, sounds bad enough. Good luck with the shoulder. Guy takes them for granted till they start getting noisy. Wishes for a full recovery.

59 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

I guess they fool proofed my Honda Shadow. The engine kills if you try to put it in gear with the stand down. Don't even ask how long it took me to figure that out in the driveway one day.

this does too, when I resurrect it, its going to have an idiot light for this idiot that stays on until the stand is fully retracted. I know I kicked it up but it clearly didn't go all the way or somehow I snagged it, I was wearing different pants and a dress shirt, was heading to my friends rehearsal dinner. ( I'm the best man so I feel like a bigger *******) I've got to evaluate things, but I think its mostly plastic damage, probably easier to find a parts bike with intact plastic. the crash bars seem to have done their job, ill have to look it over better tomorrow. strip it down, paint it, be more careful 

59 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

I had a lady pull out in front of me when I was headed through town one day. Pretty busy road, I was doing about 50  through there, can't remember if the speed limit is 45 or 50, but a lady decided to pull right out in front of me from a parking lot drive. My first instinct was to not slam into the back of her and end up in front of her and being run over. So I grabbed the brakes as hard as I could, but I must have been much too hard on the fronts in my panic stop. I went over the top. I don't think 2 seconds had passed from her pulling in front of me to me leaving the motorcycle. I remember sliding down the pavement on my knees in a kneeling position before rolling onto my back and watching the bike sliding on its side off to my right and slamming into a curb before flopping up over it. The lady kept going, totally unaware she had just turned my knees and back into gravel stone encrusted hamburger. My knees were ground off to the bone in about a 2 1/2" circle, and my back was literally skinless from my neck halfway down to the small of my back. Some people stopped and asked if I was ok and if I wanted a ride to the hospital, but nothing appeared to be broken so I declined.  I got over to the bike, the wheels were still round, and it was all there in a scraped, bent up pieces, mess. It started back up after cranking a bit, smoked like a freight train for a bit, then I rode it to my girlfriend's house. She pulled the fabric and stones out of the meat and poured an entire bottle of peroxide on my back and knees. Wow was that horrible. It took about a month and a half to get the skin to grow back, and I'm lucky I didn't get some sort of infection. It really wrecked my knees though as I found out I couldn't get around very well, very painful for a couple years until I had them fixed. Now days I just ride around the farm on my dirt bike, and ride my enduro to the other farm on the back roads. Too many deer around here anymore in the day time let alone at dusk/night/dawn to be riding much at those times. Too many crazies texting on the main roads to ride on those very safely, and I'm the only supporter of my family, so I take it easy now days compared to the past. Glad you're alright, you never know when you're gonna cheat death or injury.

Ross

yikes, after 7 hours in the ER I can well understand not wanting to go there. still seems like it mighta been a good call? the wildlife on the roads make me nervous as well, things beyond your control .

Now you guys will note there was no mention of possible brain damage.......proving that he didn't have anything to damage......🤣

Rick

44 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Now you guys will note there was no mention of possible brain damage.......proving that he didn't have anything to damage......🤣

Rick

Now, now Rick/Atilla!

Be nice, not truthful!!

Would ever pick on poor old Sethro like that?

Again, be nice, not truthful!!

But he was talking about graders to be pulled behind his M last night.......

Glad you’re ok Seth. As a former bike rider, let me tell you there are days when things I hurt riding make me remember. Knee, wrist and back all don’t work quite right in certain situations. As much fun as I had riding, I watch people driving around me in my somewhat protected vehicle and that’s enough for me to not want to ride again. Hope you heal up good.