W6 Front axle capacities

I don't see why you couldn't hang 1000# or more on the front of a w6. I have seen quite a few with front end loaders on them and have never heard of breaking an axle on one. I did buy one that had a twisted front axle and steared terrible hard because of it. It was twisted between the wishbone and the spindle like someone had run that front tire into something solid.

it will never happen its not a case. you be blowing tires before breaking an axle. also... why do u want the weight hanging on the front? you want it at the rear. and w6 don't need weight will fluid in tires. u wont have power to spin them.

I haven't had mine on the track yet. But the last pull I was at, we had a nice tacky track for high HP tractors. I watched 3 W6's ( one of them a  SW6TA)  and all seemed to have a hard time keeping the nose down. we get to run short drawbars at 20" from ground and center of rear axle, gives lots of leverage 🙂 . None had front weight brackets ???? and it got me wondering why? 

I figured the front axle is pretty stout. But its nice to hear from experience. 

Thank you guys for the feedback 🙂 

Al 

that means the tires are hooking up to the track, and that's what you want. you are allowed to have the tires off the ground but once to high they will shut you down.

My uncle Timbo1946 may chime in on this one as the family farm primarily used OS6's which share the same front axle. His "6" has a loader on it and at other times has had a fork lift mast on it as well. Booth attachments have moved some heavy loads. My "6" had a very long cherry tree shaker attached on the front of it.

If I remember correctly early "6" series had a slightly lighter front axle and pivot pin that were prone to breaking, I cant remember what year this changed, but the front bolster, pivot pin, axle, and the stabilizer "wish bone" were beefed up. If you have the heavier setup, a thousand pounds  on the front isn't going phase it one bit. 

As Sam86 mentioned. I have had way more weight on the front of my OS6 than I care to say. The fel  on this tractor always was stout but cylinders were leaking bad, and the replacement cylinders had an additional half inch in diameter. Rear tires loaded, hang another 400 lbs on draw bar and still will lift back right off the ground. 

My daughters W6 pulls in the 6500 class, put all weight I can get right over draw bar to get it up to weight. Tires not loaded. Front will just start to lift when it spins out

D672EAD8-8A1E-45EA-A6D1-18074181D61C.jpeg

4B3539FA-28C1-4A6B-A9E3-509BFDB43696.jpegpost-29100-0-13610500-1437612549_thumb.jpg

Do keep in mind that carrying 1,600 pounds with wheels on the ground is NOT the same as dropping down 1,000 pounds from a height under the acceleration of gravity.

Momentum, bending torque and force (including but not restricted to weight) are all in play. I know most of these guys know that but since it hasn't been said explicitly, I figured we'd be remiss in not doing so.