Sign in to follow this  
560Dennis

Snapping Turtles 🐢 on the move .

Unfortunately , I saw two snapping turtles in the road on the way going to Bloomsburg. They were in Ohio as I just got off route 11 onto oh 82 headed to I 80 . One was hit, the other was dazed in the middle of 82. Going to be run over. I wasn’t able to do a thing cause I could not get over there two assist cause I didn’t have anything. And I did want to be an accident or cause one trying get them out of harms way. 

I just saw another that was hit this morning on oh 44 . 

Are they migrating ,mating this time of year? 

Just wondering ?   

I use to see them traveling when I was a kid on the farm at this time come to think of it. I ran one over with the 50 T ih baler. If you ever had one of those they make a mess , they weigh a lot. 

All the continuous rain they are trying to find a place to nest.

• Like 1

Definitely not worth causing or being in an accident over. They are not highly thought of around here. They eat a lot of small fish, fish that may someday grow up to be featured in Runner's TBOP thread. 🐳😋                      

Saw one that looked like a walking sewer cover on the I95 exit ramp. I hope no one stopped to help it as it's a good way to loose a finger! Push it with a 2X4, maybe or let it latch onto a stick and drag it.

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Saw one that looked like a walking sewer cover on the I95 exit ramp. I hope no one stopped to help it as it's a good way to loose a finger! Push it with a 2X4, maybe or let it latch onto a stick and drag it.

I don't much care for Snapping turtles. But those huge ones you got to respect how long they've lived.

This is time of year they lay their eggs. Turtle season starts July 1 in Indiana, so I assume the dnr assumes that’s when all eggs are laid.

• Like 1

Sun turtles lay all over my yard. Most eggs seem to be dug up and eaten by skunks or something. Some must survive as we have plenty turtles in the pond.

A good sized snapper decided to lay in our garden, back when it didn't seem to rain all spring and we could plant a garden but I digress. We had a couple electric lines to discourage the rabbits and the turtle must have come in in a spot where the wire was high. When she left, however, she hit a wire that just caught below the shell and was sapping her in the neck. She was stubborn and kept getting hit. I made the mistake of trying to grab her and toss her over but she was agitated, quick, and not having any of it. I had a pair of dikes in my pocket and just cut the wire. She left without a hint of a thank you. 

We see many sun turtles up on trees that have fallen in but the snappers don't seem to sun. If the water happens to be clear you can see they're in there. Prehistoric looking things.

Ive been seeing them here in central lower MI too.  There was one rooting around at a gravel road intersection the other day for several hours.   My wife has a friend who thought it was a good idea to hold one up and stick her tongue out at it... needless to say it bit her tongue!! 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, jass1660 said:

All the continuous rain they are trying to find a place to nest.

Had a customer up by South Whitley say he came across a snapper laying eggs out in one of his fields quite a distance from where you would think they would normally nest..

48 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Had a customer up by South Whitley say he came across a snapper laying eggs out in one of his fields quite a distance from where you would think they would normally nest..

Interesting , I will have to  look into that more ,got my curiosity going on them. Would think it was out in the sunlight . And where they could cover eggs in soft soil. 

Only one I saw laying was near he industrials pond parking lot . She barely cover them .well I figured the raccoon 🦝 would get them .sure enough they were gone next morning. Well that Mother Nature so to speak .

I just cleaned a turtle that was full of eggs. I took all the eggs and put them in some moist sand and covered them up. Have had good luck hatching them that way

I help them whenever possible. I don't consider most animals nuisances unless they're truly overpopulated. There are tons of them killed on the roads here the past few weeks. I hate it. They're very vulnerable and they're only trying to lay their eggs! Had one in the yard the other morning and the dogs were real mad about it. So, I moved it back to the edge of a field with loose dirt, where I figure she was headed. About an hour later I let the dogs back out and she'd climbed the steps to my side porch and was on the door threshhold! It was like she was trying to get into the house! I put her back in the yard to see what way she was headed, and she started digging right there, then quit.

I don't know I had a ('nother) finicky woman at the house I guess, who didn't really know what she wanted.

• Like 2

I have 25,000 acres of swamp behind/along my house, we have tons and tons of snappers around here. You'll usually see a couple on the highway a couple miles away where it crosses a big wetland near my house. They are always crossing the pavement there and getting run over. And I've seen people hit them on purpose and people that must not have been paying attention hit them as well. I don't know why you'd want to, it'd be like hitting a rock. I have to keep a watch out this time of the year for them, as the dog likes to go investigate what it is that's crawling across her yard, and will get too close. Luckily she hasn't been bit yet. Neighbor always wanted me to call him when I saw one so he could butcher them, but I just let them do their thing and I do mine. I've seen some really massively large ones at times. A lot of times they'll usually be about 14-16" across their shell,  sometimes you'll see one 18" across or so, and I've seen I think only one that was near 24" across the shell a few years ago. That is a really large turtle up close!!

Neighbor sent me this a few weeks ago. Said you know it's wet in NY when you see turtles 48"-52" up a round bale digging a nest.   I've been scooting them out of the road last few weeks. Have not seen any in a few days now.  They get huge here. 24" long shells, broader than a five gallon bucket. I took a neat picture of one that I spotted crossing  the lawn last year and I set a bucket on it upside down like a top hat. He was wider than the bucket by a good margin.  Buddy had one in the back of his '88 ford pickup years ago (soup....taste like chicken really) and it crawled up the tailgate and had its head over the top looking at us, and It wasn't standing on anything. 

image.jpg

Farming next to the lake for my whole life we encountered a snapper every once in a while. Once wife ran  a big ol snapper thru the NH 1112 windrower and the conditioner made mince meat out of it but it was enough of a bang she stopped and looked and not much left.