Wi Ih

Anybody cultivate anymore

We still cultivate corn on occasion. I feel it helps to open the ground and let oxygen in. We have a JD 85 8rn flat fold Danish tine & a CIH 16rn Danish tine. You can get over a lot of ground with the 16 row but you'll  leave a big hole if you get off the row, End up with what we call "iron blight"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2019 at 10:50 PM, Mr. Plow said:

Those are just "lightning strikes "

Looks like that "cultivator blight" is pretty bad this year. LOL

We cultivate if we can since it always seems to change the crop for the better in a few days.  As tight as the ground is this year it will help get air into the soil.  Believe it was the U of Minnesota that did research on cultivating years back.  They found a consistent 5bu/ acre corn yield bump from cultivating.  Good way to scout the entire field at the early stages.

Dad just bought a row crop cultivator again last year and I ran through some corn last year.    We need to get it hooked up and start going but it rains every other day it seems.  

090A406E-61A4-4F36-A6C5-E44DD4382D41.jpeg

AC65ECD4-BA40-4BB3-ABB6-7E43415E4800.jpeg

• Like 4

We cultivate our corn and beans.  Have 4 different rigs (1466 with rear mount, 756 with front mount, and 2 Super C front mounts).  Have been running as many as possible when it is fit....or close to being fit.  Haven't had too many days where it worked so far this year.  We switch out shovels for disk hillers on the last pass or two in the corn......helps get anything in the row.   

20160623_100918.jpg

20180625_131453.jpg

20180808_165256.jpg

• Like 6

I used a lilaston cultivator for years a 6 X 30 and also had a IH 6 x 30 170 monitor and both good machines but no one cultivates to speak of. I really liked the rolling spiders on the liliston to throw dirt up against the corn plant and with loose dirt laying there a shovel behind the spiders would make a nice furrow.  Before that we used a tool bar and shanks and cones on the bar to keep you on the row. 

When i was getting rid of my machinery my 2 cultivators were the only things i sold for "iron" and they worth $100 each when all said and done. 

My  S I L has a 6 row 170 IH monitor and he said he will keep it as all the big farmers will go broke and spray won't work and there will be a shortage of them. It will never happen in his life (the dumb crap)

I’ve seen one row cultivator running here in my lifetime. When I worked in corn research they had me cultivate all the nurseries one wet year.  Hard to tell how many millions of potential dollars I went over. We had GPS but found that a good driver was more accurate.  We had a 4 row with large single V-shanks that would shear the roots off of the weeds.  It may have been a DMI.   Served well to open up the soil and help get some air in the profile. 

17 hours ago, ELS1466 said:

We cultivate our corn and beans.  Have 4 different rigs (1466 with rear mount, 756 with front mount, and 2 Super C front mounts).  Have been running as many as possible when it is fit....or close to being fit.  Haven't had too many days where it worked so far this year.  We switch out shovels for disk hillers on the last pass or two in the corn......helps get anything in the row.   

20160623_100918.jpg

20180625_131453.jpg

20180808_165256.jpg

I wish I could find a six row front mount like that, can you use it on a wide front or does it have to be narrow?

• Like 1

The 68 would fit wide fronts.  We had a 4 row wide on our 656 WFE.  They swing forward so you can back out of them.

we always try and cukltivate at least once, it seems that after you make a pass it looks just like you knifed in nitrogen, usually the ground is so hard from all the rain and we have to get sprayer ruts out from the coop spraying,

On 6/29/2019 at 10:58 AM, Wi Ih said:

I wish I could find a six row front mount like that, can you use it on a wide front or does it have to be narrow?

BTO that farmed the 320 acres across the road from our house and about another 500-600 acres had a cultivator very similar to this, his was on a 756 diesel with WFE, and 6-30 inch rows I think.  I know IH made a 6-38 and 6-20 version too.

An issue I see with cultivating today are the modern corn hybrids. Back in 50-60's when I was still home, we would cultivate the first pass with the shields. Then make hay. And then lay it by. With today's hybrids, it can go from 8" (using shields) to 24" (lay by stage) in a matter of a week or less. I can drive down the road and see corn that could have been cultivated a week ago that is waist high or more today.

The old measurement of  "knee high by the 4th" around here anymore is a crop failure. The new hybrids, most will be tasseling by the 4th. But, on the flip side of that, back when I was a kid, you didn't start planting till the first week of May.

I used to cultivate most of the corn with a 468 on my 706 diesel back when I had 38" row corn. Now if I need some done I have a 6 row WilRich or a 53 IH 6 row. On either the 706 or 806. I also have a 183 12 row for the 5288. I used to put it on my 1206 but I couldn't get the duals out for the right row spacing so had to run just single rear tires. That cultivator's pretty heavy for just 2 tires down the road. Also needed a full set of front weights to use it. I can get by with 8 on my 5288. 

4 hours ago, dads706 said:

An issue I see .........week of May.

Lawsy me, everything there of my memories!

best, randy 

I just finished up ditching corn yesterday. They are calling for a rain spell so I was really flying through it in 2nd high with the 1086 (about 8mph) but you can get a lot of acres done that way. Like was said earlier this corn can really take off in a short amount of time so I like to get on it early. 

This variety is showing some herbicide damage but it did last year as well but came out of it and was a real burner for me so I didn't change my program up.

20190630_180717.jpg

20190630_180722.jpg

Ain't cultivated since 1999 or abouts. Was a fun and pleasant-enough job if you've got AC and a radio and can take your time, but is kind of a waste if you spray anyway and don't need it and could be doing other stuff. On the other hand, if I was growing corn I'd strongly consider sidedressing.

My grandfather cultivated up till he quit farming in 97.  He had a setup on the front of his cultivator on his H where he used a fertilizer box setup from an old corn planter and had it hydraulic drive to put on fertilizer right ahead of the cultivator so it would work it in the ground.  Farmer engineered but it worked pretty slick.

12 hours ago, Ihcubguy said:

My grandfather cultivated up till he quit farming in 97.  He had a setup on the front of his cultivator on his H where he used a fertilizer box setup from an old corn planter and had it hydraulic drive to put on fertilizer right ahead of the cultivator so it would work it in the ground.  Farmer engineered but it worked pretty slick.

Farmer engineered is good .Where would ag be without the "farmer engineered" products today ?

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, IKS said:

Farmer engineered is good .Where would ag be without the "farmer engineered" products today ?

That is so true!!

So dumb question - for those of you who are still cultivating, why are you doing it?  To save money on spray, getting air into soil and breaking up that crust so rain can filter through better, looks much nicer, or just wanna get out of house cause kids and Honey Do list is too overwhelming!

I have never had the pleasure of this job, I think it would be fun - but a radio would be a MUST!  I know when garden corn is freshly hilled up, it looks great!

2 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I think it would be fun - but a radio would be a MUST!  

ABSOLUTELY!  Still got hard to stay awake in the afternoons when you had heard the same songs a dozen times since you started that morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

ABSOLUTELY!  Still got hard to stay awake in the afternoons when you had heard the same songs a dozen times since you started that morning.

I guess it will be a lot harder to stay awake now with auto steer . Before you had to pay attention to where your row was or make sure not to leave streaks from getting too wide .                                   Organic farmers cultivate for weed control .Conventional farmers cultivate or disc occasionally to clean up a wreck from the previous year.

I cultivate yes to cut down on spraying and also to loosen the soil  and work in the side dress

Hagan mentioned Lilliston's---

20180513_181701.thumb.jpg.737cf036ece8d44b2b5eb8394d9ec2a7.jpg

6 row Lilliston (on a 1206)--------cultivating cotton-----1990+/_-----Leflore County, Mississippi.

When those Lilliston's were set right------they were like music to my ears.

Picture is on a farm that I managed (farm real estate practice).  I had the old Lilliston left over from my farming days-----gave it to the small black farm tenant and helped him get to going with it.

We narrowed it toward the row after he got the feel for it.  Ol' Willie could really shoot it down the row once he got acclimated.

Willie called the Lilliston "the goat"-----got alot of use out of it.

"Give the ball to Willie Stonewall!!!!"  

(one of the good guys----lots of fun)

DD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

ABSOLUTELY!  Still got hard to stay awake in the afternoons

Chuckle!  Radio?  RADIO??   What radio?  (or cab, for that matter)

best, randy (born 1934)

• Like 1