Sign in to follow this  
SMOKER 1

101 Years of Evolution

Yesterday our local Purdue Ag Center Farm celebrated 100 years of operation.  Many displays of things done there over the last 100 years were on display.  I was in charge of putting on a tractor display, so I rounded up 25 tractors from that timeline of all colors to display.  Turned out really nice.  The interesting thing to me was the fact that that I was able to secure a 1918 Mogal and a 2020 CIH 340 prototype half track.  There are only 6 of them and they are all hand made and were first shown at Louisville last February.  Just so happened our local dealer got their hands on one for the next week to play with and they brought it up for me.  My buddy that owns the Mogal thought it would be neat to get some photos of the old vs. the new.

jerry

IMG_0662.jpg.fa7e8a8c6cd9218b814f0b9fbe26f89b.jpgIMG_0661.jpg.5c0a5fc543d7e71f94310bdd462a06f5.jpgIMG_0661.jpg.5c0a5fc543d7e71f94310bdd462a06f5.jpg

• Like 23

Your buddy isn't the only one that thinks it's neat.  Very neat pic!

It would be interesting to see the original cost of the Mogul, in 2019 dollars, compared to the cost of the new one.....

Mike

• Like 2

Makes you think a 100 years from now what kind of power they will be using.

• Like 1

Good Job Jerry !

Nice photo of old Verses new .

Your mention tractors of all colors representing the years , That must of been a sight and quite a job putting together.

Mel & I did a tractor for every year of 50 year anniversary at World Ag Expo, several years back and it was a chore.

Tony

Very cool photos! 

Very Nice Jerry!

Just imagine how innovative that mogul tractor was in 1918.  The change from horse to horse power must have been quite a thing.

That's an awesome picture. I don't think I could figure out how to operate either one of those tractors!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is truly amazing and technological advancement in that time frame

On 6/23/2019 at 8:11 AM, mikem said:

It would be interesting to see the original cost of the Mogul, in 2019 dollars, compared to the cost of the new one.....

Mike

Approximate original cost of $1350.00 in 1918 would be about $21,500 in 2016 dollars according to Google.  I don't know about that tracked version, but a wheeled one is probably about $300K?

Thanks

Mark

The sad part is that in another 101 years that Mogul will still be running and the CIH will have been left for dead for 80 years because of the electrical issues/parts availability.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DT361 said:

Approximate original cost of $1350.00 in 1918 would be about $21,500 in 2016 dollars according to Google.  I don't know about that tracked version, but a wheeled one is probably about $300K?

Thanks

Mark

Dealer said that no price will be established until they go into production. They had to build a whole new line for it at Racine and it is far from finished. Even though it looks the same as current models it is a total redo under the hood and in the cab. I got to drive it around and it is one of the nicest driving tractors I’ve ever driven and even with all the tech it is very user friendly even for an old fart like me. 

Jerry

Thanks for the photo, Jerry.  That is a unique sight!

What were some of the other 25 tractors you rounded up?  Any photos of them?